Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

19-03-2019, 10:59   #16
Woke Hogan

Virtually every bouncer I have met on nights out has been an angry mucksavage meathead who thinks he’s playing guard for the night, yet bouncers often complain about their poor reputation. Do you think bouncers have a poor reputation and if so is it justified in your view?
Advertisement
19-03-2019, 11:00   #17
I'm a nightclub bouncer, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_ecke_r View Post
my niece is 21 now but when she was 17 they the girls were going as far as changing their names on whatsapp/facebook etc to correspond to their fake ID to fool bouncers.

it is a hard job to be fair.

17 year olds can look 30 these days
Usually these fake IDs are just somebody else’s ID who happens to look like them on the ID photo. Asking for 2 forms of ID usually works for this, as chances are they’ll look completely different on another ID.

It is very difficult I must say, especially with girls. I’m sure we’ve turned away many girls who were in fact over 18 thinking that there ID wasn’t theirs.
19-03-2019, 11:00   #18
xieann

What town / city did you start?

Who are your favourite and easiest clients? What do you think of Trip Advisor reviews?
19-03-2019, 11:02   #19
Hoboo

Do you think bouncers should be tested for steroids? Any I've known were a complete liability.
19-03-2019, 11:03   #20
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasm View Post
Have you ever had anyone accuse you of discrimination for refusing to allow entry?
Every. Single. Night.

There are some individuals that if you ask for a second form of ID you are called a racist. People will pull any card when they’re drunk and desperate. It certainly doesn’t strike fear in our hearts.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-03-2019, 11:06   #21
devlinio
Banned

A club I go never check ID. In the 3 years, I've been going there, they have never asked people in the queue for ID. There are often 16-year-olds in there, who just walk on in. This is probably due to the fact that the club can be quiet a lot of the time, but still.
19-03-2019, 11:09   #22
bucketybuck

Are you going to tell us that all bouncers are professional and full of courtesy at all times, or would you accept that many have a real attitude problem?

Whatever about kids and nightclubs, what do you think about "doormen" at quiet bars blocking entrances and staring at grown adults who just wanted to go in and spend some money on a pint, and who perhaps would rather not have to pass an entrance inspection for the privilege?
19-03-2019, 11:09   #23
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woke Hogan View Post
Virtually every bouncer I have met on nights out has been an angry mucksavage meathead who thinks he’s playing guard for the night, yet bouncers often complain about their poor reputation. Do you think bouncers have a poor reputation and if so is it justified in your view?
While I can’t speak about your experiences, I find no matter what we do we’re criticised. Somebody could break someone’s nose inside the club and if we throw him out he’ll go and tell everyone about the “meathead bouncerz throwing me out for doin nuttin in that stupid club”. Magically, everyone who ever has a bad experience with security is always completely innocent and did nothing wrong.

Also, to your comment about thinking they’re playing guard for the night. We don’t think it. We know it. We’re security guards it’s what we’re paid to do.

That being said they’re are always the idiots looking for a fight, just like every other profession, so sometimes it is justified.
19-03-2019, 11:12   #24
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoboo View Post
Do you think bouncers should be tested for steroids? Any I've known were a complete liability.
I’ll have to say where I work we actually don’t have any of those types. I’m no Arnold Schwarzenegger myself.

With regard to the testing, I’d see it as quite a breach of privacy.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-03-2019, 11:16   #25

Do you find that that since the inception of the Private Security Authority in 2004 that it has helped clean up the industry? Such as door supervisor's with criminal convictions.
19-03-2019, 11:17   #26
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by xieann View Post
What town / city did you start?

Who are your favourite and easiest clients? What do you think of Trip Advisor reviews?
I’d rather not say to avoid being identified.

I’ve only ever really worked with people in the 18-25 age group, I’ve only rarely worked with other groups.

I think when it comes to nightclubs they always have pretty bad reviews. I think this is because most people who have a good night won’t bother with a review, but if someone is annoyed at being kicked out they’ll make sure to write the worst review possible.
(2) thanks from:
19-03-2019, 11:19   #27
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohen Flat Ragamuffin View Post
Do you find that that since the inception of the Private Security Authority in 2004 that it has helped clean up the industry? Such as door supervisor's with criminal convictions.
I’m afraid I’m not qualified to answer that, as I was neither working as a bouncer nor old enough to go into a club in 2004!

But from what I hear from colleagues, the security industry has come leaps and bounds since it was established. There is certainly no place in security for an individual with assault convictions.
19-03-2019, 11:20   #28
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlinio View Post
A club I go never check ID. In the 3 years, I've been going there, they have never asked people in the queue for ID. There are often 16-year-olds in there, who just walk on in. This is probably due to the fact that the club can be quiet a lot of the time, but still.
That club is certainly leaving themselves open to major trouble. It will catch up to them sooner or later.
19-03-2019, 11:21   #29
circadian

Are you a boardsie regular? Do you tell unruly patrons that there will be the "Banhammer" if they don't wise up?

I worked in a bar as a student in England. The local Rugby team was sponsored by the bar so you'd have regular idiots trying to start fights with a bunch of huge lads from the team, the bouncers had a thankless task of dealing with it. It's not an easy number. In fact, the town had a banned from one banned from all policy which I think is a good idea, I have no idea if that's implemented in Ireland.
19-03-2019, 11:22   #30
Hoboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm a nightclub bouncer, AMA View Post
I’ll have to say where I work we actually don’t have any of those types. I’m no Arnold Schwarzenegger myself.

With regard to the testing, I’d see it as quite a breach of privacy.
Drug testing is part and parcel of many jobs. Not a breach of privacy at all, I'd see it as a necessary precaution for public safety.

Cheers for the reply all the same.
Thread Closed