Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-11-2019, 12:27   #211
Oneiric 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by easypazz View Post
My primary concern is the sea is rising at over 3 mm per year. If this increases to 10mm per year, as projected, then we are in big trouble on this island.

The engineering works to combat this would be enormous.

I wouldn't be too concerned about an actual severe storm event now and again too much.
I watched this the other night and I think you too will find it interesting.

I thought it pretty fair and balanced on the whole regarding sea level rise issue. The guy speaking is an aspiring physicist and climate scientist.

Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 12:33   #212
John.Icy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBreezes View Post
Temperatures have been falling since 2016.. why? Cause we are in solar min. And the sun controls our climate.
Unless 2019 continues as projected and becomes the 2nd (maybe 3rd) hottest year on record. Then we have a more muddled picture once again as we had consecutive rises from 2014-2016, a consecutive fall from 2017-2018 - and now a rise again (potentially, the predictions made in October so we will see).
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 12:40   #213
Hooter23

So is it "climate change" or are we back to calling it "Global warming" again...I suppose we can use both depending on what recent weather is doing...How convenient
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 13:04   #214
easypazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
I watched this the other night and I think you too will find it interesting.

I thought it pretty fair and balanced on the whole regarding sea level rise issue. The guy speaking is an aspiring physicist and climate scientist.

I am not sure what you wanted me to see in that? Its much the same thing, the sea level is rising at an accelerating pace and this is likely to continue accelerating.
19-11-2019, 13:15   #215
SeaBreezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Icy View Post
Unless 2019 continues as projected and becomes the 2nd (maybe 3rd) hottest year on record. Then we have a more muddled picture once again as we had consecutive rises from 2014-2016, a consecutive fall from 2017-2018 - and now a rise again (potentially, the predictions made in October so we will see).
Third hottest year on record means it will be the 3rd lowest since 2016. Temps have been dropping since 2016 and I'd be really surprised if there wasn't a dramatic drop in 2019 after last years winter, Russia coldest summer in decades, early winter and North America late winter last year and early winter this year. Even the heatwave in Europe this summer, the week before it Netherlands recorded its coldest ever temp in July. I'm kind of surprised they are predicting this year as a warm year. Looking forward to the numbers.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 13:49   #216
Oneiric 3

Quote:
I am not sure what you wanted me to see in that? Its much the same thing, the sea level is rising at an accelerating pace and this is likely to continue accelerating.
Time to roll up the sleeves I think!

https://www.wikihow.com/Build-an-Ark
19-11-2019, 13:57   #217
Oneiric 3

Quote:
Russia coldest summer in decades,.
Since records began I heard, but don't know how true that is or not.

Here's an excellent chart showing daily global temperature anomalies since 2014:

Source: https://oz4caster.wordpress.com/cfsr/

A drop since 2016 as you say, though a 'bounce back' does seem to be occurring in the present time.

It is interesting to note from that graph that during the early part of 2014, which coincided with a very zonal flow over the entire N Atlantic and Europe region, that global temps briefly fell to near or, in some brief instances, below average. Wonder was there a connection somehow?

Last edited by Oneiric 3; 19-11-2019 at 14:44.
(2) thanks from:
19-11-2019, 16:32   #218
Birdnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Since records began I heard, but don't know how true that is or not.

Here's an excellent chart showing daily global temperature anomalies since 2014:

Source: https://oz4caster.wordpress.com/cfsr/

A drop since 2016 as you say, though a 'bounce back' does seem to be occurring in the present time.

It is interesting to note from that graph that during the early part of 2014, which coincided with a very zonal flow over the entire N Atlantic and Europe region, that global temps briefly fell to near or, in some brief instances, below average. Wonder was there a connection somehow?
The lack of long term/reliable temp records over large parts of the planet is another complicationg factor
Thanks from:
19-11-2019, 18:22   #219
Harry Palmr

What the feck? Those scientists eh? How dare they split the atom.
Advertisement
19-11-2019, 20:02   #220
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
My primary concern is the sea is rising at over 3 mm per year. If this increases to 10mm per year, as projected, then we are in big trouble on this island.

I'm glad you brought that up again, as I still didn't get an answer on when this will happen. Maybe you could help out where Oldbee was unable/unwilling.
(2) thanks from:
19-11-2019, 22:06   #221
easypazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post
I'm glad you brought that up again, as I still didn't get an answer on when this will happen. Maybe you could help out where Oldbee was unable/unwilling.
Unfortunately as I dont have a crystal ball I cant tell you.

You know nobody can tell if or when this will happen, but you keep asking.
19-11-2019, 23:01   #222
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Unfortunately as I dont have a crystal ball I cant tell you.

You know nobody can tell if or when this will happen, but you keep asking.
No, Oldbee was certain that my estimation was way off, therefore he must know himself. Problem is he's done a runner after several requests for the answer.

Wait, you're now saying nobody can tell IF it will happen. But you earlier stated it would -"as projected" - and even misquoted me the other day about it. Are you now not so sure that it will happen?
(3) thanks from:
19-11-2019, 23:55   #223
Danno

Quote:
I follow these discussions with interest, but lose hope when it deginerates into name calling. I'm middle of the fence. I think there are 2 separate issues

1) Climate Change.. this is solar driven and always has been. Google Valentina zharkova her science is pretty convincing.

2) pollution. This is man made and we need to clean up our act both for ourselves and future generations.
But it's not just CO2, it's all pesticides pollutants, and poisons in our water air and food. CO2 won't actually kill us but the poisons will.

And to add a point Science is NEVER settled, a theory holds until it is disproven (Einstein quote) we are always learning and improving our understanding.

I found this article interesting https://www.climatedepot.com/2017/05...ving-in-magic/

His point: of all warming gasses CO2 consists of 2% of them and a doubling of that 2% won't have the catastrophic effect predicted.

Temperatures have been falling since 2016.. why? Cause we are in solar min. And the sun controls our climate.

But that does NOT give us free reign to poison and plunder at will, we need to learn to live in harmony with our planet for future generations.

And I think an gov if serious about Climate Change would make proper steps such as:
-make it law that you work from home if you can.
-business air travel to be taxed severely. Make people use Skype for business meetings.
Limit leisure travel to 3/4 trips per year?
Free trees to houses with gardens.
Free apiary courses and hives for those who will manage one.

There are three sides to every story, yours theirs and the truth. The climate story is evolving and we are only grasping at the edges of the overall truth. The fact the IPCC does not take solar forcing into account in any of its models gives me pause for concern. But I understand that is to be corrected from 2020? Be interesting to see what the science says then.

That's just my tuppence worth :-)
Excellent points, and well put across - quite close to my own thoughts too.
Thanks from:
20-11-2019, 07:11   #224
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdnuts View Post
The lack of long term/reliable temp records over large parts of the planet is another complicationg factor
And even more important is the lack of observations of the ocean depths, both past and present. Our level of understanding of longterm (and short-term) oceanic processes is literally like a drop in the ocean.
21-11-2019, 17:32   #225
Carol25

George Lee is on Maura and Daithi now for more hyping and scaremongering...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion