Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice in apartment, landlord won't close gaps

Options
  • 04-11-2019 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I am renting an apartment which has recently been entered by mice. Pest control has been called by the mgmt company, they have set poison and detected a few gaps in walls and floors that are very likely to be the source of the infestation (I have discovered a few more after the inspection). They have recommended sealing those gaps as soon as possible.

The landlord is refusing to seal the gaps on the grounds that this has been an isolated incident as of today, and it might be expensive to do the works. He claims that the apartment is compliant to regulations and inhabitable - despite I have seen mice in my bedroom a few nights ago.

What are my rights here? Is there a way I can compel him to have the apartment proofed, and quickly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Invisibleman

oppy30 wrote: »
    I am renting an apartment which has recently been entered by mice. Pest control has been called by the mgmt company, they have set poison and detected a few gaps in walls and floors that are very likely to be the source of the infestation (I have discovered a few more after the inspection). They have recommended sealing those gaps as soon as possible.

The landlord is refusing to seal the gaps on the grounds that this has been an isolated incident as of today, and it might be expensive to do the works. He claims that the apartment is compliant to regulations and inhabitable - despite I have seen mice in my bedroom a few nights ago.

What are my rights here? Is there a way I can compel him to have the apartment proofed, and quickly?

Hi, i had this issue and plugged the gaps with tinfoil, got one of those repellent plugs and have had no issue since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

How obvious are the gaps? Are they hidden places, like around pipes under sinks, etc that can't normally be seen? If so, I'd go to the hardware shop and buy some wire wool, expanding foam, and stuff the gaps with those. If you haven't used expanding foam before, it really does expand - just use a tiny bit at a time, or you'll have it all over half the house. Once it sets, trim off excess with a blade.

Obviously if they're big structural holes that can be seen it won't work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

got one of those repellent plugs and have had no issue since.

If getting one of these, get a random pattern one as the (not huge) affect they have is very time limited if they are either constant or set on/off patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 oppy30

Thoie wrote: »
    How obvious are the gaps? Are they hidden places, like around pipes under sinks, etc that can't normally be seen? If so, I'd go to the hardware shop and buy some wire wool, expanding foam, and stuff the gaps with those. If you haven't used expanding foam before, it really does expand - just use a tiny bit at a time, or you'll have it all over half the house. Once it sets, trim off excess with a blade.

Obviously if they're big structural holes that can be seen it won't work.

It's a mix. Some of them are in walls and visible - I have plugged them with plaster filler. Others are in the floors below storage heaters and in the closets where the water pipes came in - I have used wire wool and expanding foam as you suggest. There is a gap where the (new, smaller) extractor fan connects to the (old, larger) tube going out of the ceiling which I guess I can plug similarly. The real problem is some large holes in the wall under the kitchen sink and cupboards which are not easily reachable. It is possible that it is necessary to disassemble at least some of the cupboards to get there and do a proper job.

Also I am spending time and money to do something which I believe should be my landlord's responsibility, which is irritating me a little bit.

L1011 wrote: »
    If getting one of these, get a random pattern one as the (not huge) affect they have is very time limited if they are either constant or set on/off patterns.

Also what age is OP?
    My parents had the sonic repellent devices and all they did was keep me away as it was like intense tinnitus, everytime I was in the house.

Won't matter much in your 40's+ but will drive your kids demented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

We filled the gaps with wire wool, the landlord was just spraying peppermint oil everywhere.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just a note- while its not nice having mice in the house- they never ever share a habitat with larger rodents (such as rats- as rats love eating mice) so if you have mice in the property its a good indication that you don't have any even less welcome visitors.

With respect of the suggestions- steel wool- which you can buy in large boxes- is the way to go.

Unfortunately, its that time of the year again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 edit_me

Quick fix - get a cat.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

As said above I am using steel wool and expanding foam to close all the gaps I can get to. I am getting ultrasound repellent plugs but I have read that they indeed have effect for a limited time. Cat is not an option as my wife is allergic.

My main issue is the gaps I can't reach and fill on my own, under the kitchen and (discovered this today) behind the hot water tank. For these it's likely that I'll need disassembling appliances and plumbing, which is work I'd rather leave to a professional.

So my questions are: is the landlord bound to get a professional and fix these? If the landlord is uncooperative, can I get a professional fix them and then legitimately expect him to refund me?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,673 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So my questions are: is the landlord bound to get a professional and fix these? If the landlord is uncooperative, can I get a professional fix them and then legitimately expect him to refund me?

I don't think so.

The LL does have to remove rodents -and if there was an on-going problem then taking steps to prevent it would probably be required.

But all you have so far is a one-off event.

There is not a requirement to make the place 100% gap-proof. And even if there was, mice can still get in doors and windows.

• Advertisement

I don't think so.

The LL does have to remove rodents -and if there was an on-going problem then taking steps to prevent it would probably be required.

But all you have so far is a one-off event.

There is not a requirement to make the place 100% gap-proof. And even if there was, mice can still get in doors and windows.

Yeah I am not asking for 100% proofing. But I have received written recommendation by the pest control company to fix those gaps as soon as possible. Doesn't this impact the landlord's obligations in any way?

This is the first time it has happened in a few years, but the apartment complex is close to a few parks and kept like a garbage dump, so I can see this happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

edit_me wrote: »
    Quick fix - get a cat.

I need to have words with mine so :p

First mice invasion in nearly four years living in our house though, in fairness, maybe he is just getting lazy as he gets older.

Although I bought some of the ultrasonic plugins the day after they arrived and things have gone silent again (and these guys were noisy buggers) - I'd like to think it was because the devices were very effective but I don't think I'd be so lucky that they'd voluntarily leave less than 24 hours after they arrived...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Jaysus how many gaps do you have?

Jaysus how many gaps do you have?
    Cracks at the base of the wall in hot press and under the kitchen, gaps where the water pipes come in, gaps in a few places between windows and walls, gaps in the floorboards where storage heaters are mounted, holes in a wall where a curtain rod was mounted, gap where the extractor fan is attached to its chimney.

Most of them are probably harmless and some I have already plugged. Sadly the most complicated to fix seem to be the ones where the infestation came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭chicorytip

What type of apartment do you live in?
    Block apartment, duplex? Is it at ground level?
    You need to discover where exactly the invaders are coming from and what is attracting them and if your neighbours have similar trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hi, i had this issue and plugged the gaps with tinfoil, got one of those repellent plugs and have had no issue since.

A crushed tin can and /or wire wool works grand. Anything they cannot chew or push aside.

chicorytip wrote: »
    What type of apartment do you live in?
    Block apartment, duplex? Is it at ground level?
    You need to discover where exactly the invaders are coming from and what is attracting them and if your neighbours have similar trouble.

Block apartment, 4th floor. Two other apartments on the same floor have seen them (that I know of). The whole complex is very dirty so my guess is that they got attracted by garbage and heat at lower floors and then went exploring.

I have only found droppings in the kitchen so my guess is that they have nested somewhere in the building and came in through the gaps under/behind the kitchen. The landlord's opinion is that they originally came in through some outside door/window so there is little point in plugging gaps in an interior wall. IMO they should still be plugged as that would stop mice getting into my apartment right now.

If you're on the 4th floor- the building is infested- and it really doesn't matter what holes you plug- its sticking a finger in a dyke territory, you'll be plugging holes forever. I'm sorry- but blocking holes has a snowballs chance in hell of keeping them out. You need to get your landlord to contact the Management Company and alert them to the fact that the building is infested- and appropriate action taken to remove the infestation.

Yeah the management company has been alerted, and poison has been set in a few apartments. I don't expect plugging holes to solve the infestation - I expect it to keep the mice out of my apartment while the poison solves the infestation. The guy from pest control himself recommended plugging them so I expect it won't harm at the very least.

Yeah the management company has been alerted, and poison has been set in a few apartments. I don't expect plugging holes to solve the infestation - I expect it to keep the mice out of my apartment while the poison solves the infestation. The guy from pest control himself recommended plugging them so I expect it won't harm at the very least.

Good luck- plugging holes sounds like quite incredibly wishful thinking...……….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Also what age is OP?
    My parents had the sonic repellent devices and all they did was keep me away as it was like intense tinnitus, everytime I was in the house.

Won't matter much in your 40's+ but will drive your kids demented.

I'm in my 40s and they drive me demented.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Could you not set a few traps? And I'm not being smart - mice can get in through the tiniest of gaps.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I'm in my 40s and they drive me demented.

I'm nowhere near my 40s (on the lower side) and can't hear a thing from them.

Their effectiveness is very much debated, and I can't even be certain it was them that stopped what I was hearing (scratching/movement under a raised floor / possibly inside walls - never saw any droppings or other signs within the rooms) but for the 30 quid each they cost it wasn't a huge outlay.

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm nowhere near my 40s (on the lower side) and can't hear a thing from them.

Their effectiveness is very much debated, and I can't even be certain it was them that stopped what I was hearing (scratching/movement under a raised floor / possibly inside walls - never saw any droppings or other signs within the rooms) but for the 30 quid each they cost it wasn't a huge outlay.

Those, the ant signals, the anti-teen "mosquito" used to drive me uo the walls until 35ish, then age and the relentless march of time

Those, the ant signals, the anti-teen "mosquito" used to drive me uo the walls until 35ish, then age and the relentless march of time

I'm not even 35! However its probably work related hearing damage despite taking precautions

• Registered Users Posts: 25,673 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You want a major disassembly of cabinets etc, in support of a short term measure for your apartment?

Good luck- plugging holes sounds like quite incredibly wishful thinking...……….

It worked for me in a serious infestation problem, combined with traps. And later with rats. These critters have set " runs" so blocking these works. Wire wool and crushed tin cans

Now I have great hunter cats... No more mice or rats.

C3PO wrote: »
    Could you not set a few traps? And I'm not being smart - mice can get in through the tiniest of gaps.

Also mouse-proof all food. They come in to eat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

C3PO wrote: »

Apparently they can get through a hole the width of a biro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....The whole complex is very dirty so my guess is that they got attracted by garbage and heat at lower floors and then went exploring.

I think if that's dirty Might be time to move on and leave the problem there.

Advertisement