Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-01-2019, 12:19   #46
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effects View Post
A lot of roads in Dublin are in a bad condition. I'd rather not be taking turns with one hand on the handle bars, or slowing to a crawl either.
Continuing to signal your turn, while taking the turn is pointless and unnecessary.
No need to signal as your turning, do what motorists never do anymore and signal before the turn. I always have my hands on the bars mid turn. If they don't know where your going then, they never will and indicating would be pointless. Indicate before the turn, move into position and make the turn. The bit about slowing down was for Lumens example of a sharp turn on a descent.
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 12:20   #47
bilbot79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzor07 View Post
What's wrong with your arms?
You have to concede some control while engaging the manoeuvre.

Imagine driving your car and rolling down the window to indicate while you turn
09-01-2019, 12:22   #48
CramCycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbot79 View Post
You have to concede some control while engaging the manoeuvre.

Imagine driving your car and rolling down the window to indicate while you turn
Perfectly legitimate way to indicate in a car, and one that you are expected to know for your driving test.
09-01-2019, 12:23   #49
bilbot79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CramCycle View Post
Perfectly legitimate way to indicate in a car, and one that you are expected to know for your driving test.
But not one that you are expected to do on a normal basis.

Plus, it's dangerous for the cyclist to have to take their hand off the bike. They are very vulnerable.
09-01-2019, 12:26   #50
Effects

Quote:
No need to signal as your turning, do what motorists never do anymore and signal before the turn. I always have my hands on the bars mid turn. If they don't know where your going then, they never will and indicating would be pointless
Sorry, your posts suggested to me that you would continue to indicate while taking the turn. No worries.
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 12:27   #51
CramCycle

Quote:
But not one that you are expected to do on a normal basis.
One your expected to know all of the time though. Not difficult or dangerous either.
Quote:
Plus, it's dangerous for the cyclist to have to take their hand off the bike. They are very vulnerable.
Its not very dangerous at all but it is dangerous not to indicate in certain situations. Road position as always will make it clear if you have the confidence, but if you are confident using road position as an indicator, you are most likely confident to take one hand off the handlebar.
09-01-2019, 12:29   #52
CramCycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effects View Post
Sorry, your posts suggested to me that you would continue to indicate while taking the turn. No worries.
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, on a roundabout I do because some people are muppets but on a simple left or right turn, once you've indicated upto the turn from a reasonable distance before, there isn't a need as either people have paid attention or they haven't, your road position in and of itself being a good indicator.
09-01-2019, 12:35   #53
bilbot79

Quote:
One your expected to know all of the time though. Not difficult or dangerous either.

Its not very dangerous at all but it is dangerous not to indicate in certain situations. Road position as always will make it clear if you have the confidence, but if you are confident using road position as an indicator, you are most likely confident to take one hand off the handlebar.
First point = Irrelevant
Second point = Incorrect, it is dangerous to take your hand of the handlebars
09-01-2019, 13:07   #54
Effects

Yeah, I often keep signalling on a roundabout. Some drivers will just pull out regardless.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 14:21   #55
Grassey

Quote:
it is dangerous to take your hand of the handlebars
As dangerous as driving with one hand on the steering wheel and the other holding coffee/changing gears/texting/changing radio/etc ?
09-01-2019, 14:28   #56
magicbastarder

that's a weird whataboutery sort of point.
Thanks from:
09-01-2019, 16:32   #57
CramCycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
that's a weird whataboutery sort of point.
It is but it is a fair point, there is a guy in town who cycles round without one arm without issue as far as I can see.

it is not dangerous, unless you make it dangerous. If you can't indicate and cycle with one hand off the bar for an essentially short piece of time, you may need to go to a local open area and practice a bit before going out on the road.

It takes a split second to put your hand back on the bars if needed, in other cases, use your road position to indicate where you are going, although this requires a far higher level of trust in your other road users and presumably more confidence.
09-01-2019, 20:05   #58
tomasrojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post
Yes, they seem to be a solution for a problem which doesn't exist.
The wrist lights I use don't really solve the (as everyone said, minor-ish) problem of having to remove your hand from the brake to indicate.

Their usefulness as indicators is generally also modest, though more relevant to right turns than left.

Where they're useful enough that I've continued to use them for quite a few years is side-on visibility (e.g. motorists pulling out from side streets, or waiting to enter roundabouts) and head-on visibility (e.g. motorists not seeing you waiting to turn right on a multilane road and bearing down on you by dint of not keeping to their lane).

Think of them primarily as a light you can quickly and easily wave around a bit.
Thanks from:
09-01-2019, 20:06   #59
tomasrojo

I can think of one occasion where a giant truck (Argos, I think) was bearing down on me as I was waiting in the right-hand lane on the North Circular Road, waiting to go into the Phoenix Park. The truck was going at a really reckless speed (it was very late) and was swinging wide to turn left down Infirmary Road. So I started waving like mad, as I was right in the turning path, and the driver hadn't seen me. Then he braked hard, and all was well.

He might have seen me in time anyway, but I think the wrist lights are handy for oaccasions like that, which occur frequently enough, albeit very rarely as dramatic as that time. (I don't spend my time gesticulating frantically.)
09-01-2019, 20:10   #60
tomasrojo

Cycling with one hand is fine on a smooth surface, I think? Except on a Brompton, I find. Very twitchy steering. I remember cycling home with a sliced pan one day under my arm, and it wasn't much fun, though I wasn't going far. I have a homemade basket I use now. I'm not going to bore everyone anymore with my dorky inventions though.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion