Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-01-2019, 23:54   #31
tomasrojo

I might be the poster with wrist lights mentioned earlier. I used sweatbands rather than gloves though. They're very cheap to make; the only expensive bit is the light, and Aldi do pretty good value COB lights now, which I think are knock-offs of Moon Crescents. I used Moon Crescents, which are plenty bright, even on the lowest setting, and nice and small and light, and come with a belt-clip as standard, which is what I used to attach them to the wristbands.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...0&postcount=53
How to make them (a hair tie or small elastic might be needed as the elastic in the wristbands age to stop them rotating on your wrist):
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...4&postcount=40
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-01-2019, 23:56   #32
tomasrojo

I find them useful anyway. Everyone else is getting by just fine without them though!
08-01-2019, 23:57   #33
ED E

White facing rear?

Thanks from:
09-01-2019, 00:01   #34
tomasrojo

I used to use yellow, but they seem to have discontinued those, so it's a choice between white and red, and they're facing front and to the side most of the time, as they're on the handlebars most of the time.

You're the second person to point that out this week, by a strange coincidence. And, like, ever, too.
09-01-2019, 06:20   #35
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasrojo View Post
....Everyone else is getting by just fine without them though!
Yes, they seem to be a solution for a problem which doesn't exist.
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 07:14   #36
Lumen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post
Yes, they seem to be a solution for a problem which doesn't exist.
There is a problem with lack of fixed indicators though. You cannot choose which brake to use whilst slowing for a turn.

I don't think it's important enough to fit indicators, but it is nonetheless a problem, particularly downhill in the wet.
09-01-2019, 07:42   #37
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumen View Post
There is a problem with lack of fixed indicators though. You cannot choose which brake to use whilst slowing for a turn....
Indeed but I suppose I'll prioritise indicating right over left and I can still use my rear brake with my arm raised when turning right. On a very steep descent I'd probably take a glance back first and not indicate if I need to keep both hands on the bars/brakes or, if there is something behind, take up position early, indicate early and then return both hands to the bars prior to turning.
09-01-2019, 08:53   #38
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
one issue with those lights is that i suspect that theoretically if a garda saw you using one, you could then be done for not indicating correctly before making a turn (though i have to actually confirm if the law states a cyclist must indicate with a hand signal).
Road position is also to be taken as an indication, not sure if it was covered in the road law thread but that was my understanding and at the back of my mind, i think it is in law but could be wrong.

For example, if on the left hand side of a roadway, it should be taken as a presumption that you are turning left or going straight on. If in the middle of the roadway, it should be taken that you could be goign left, straight on or right. Finally, I think some of you will guess, if to the right of the roadway, it should be taken as a sign you are going right or straight on.

In practice, this should make little difference to other road users.

i was once given out to at a junction for not indicating. I was in the right hand turn lane, and turning right surprisingly. I had indicated into the lane and continued indicating until stopped (traffic lights). The car went ballistic and actually pulled in and jumped out to give out to me for not indicating. Now regardless of whether I was or was not in the wrong (which I don't think I was, how and ever). If a driver behind me is confused about where I, a cyclist, maybe going, as I sit at the top of a right hand turn only lane, then there is simply sweet f*** all hope for some people.
09-01-2019, 09:09   #39
average_runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell me how View Post
Everyone is p*ssed off at others not obeying the rules of the road.

Pedestrians dislike cyclists not indicating
Cyclists dislike motorists for not leaving enough room or not indicating
Motorists dislike cyclists for weaving in and out of traffic.
Cyclists and motorists dislike pedestrians for jaywalking.
Pedestrians dislike motorists for not obeying lights and pedestrian crossings.

There is fault on all sides and it p*sses off people on all sides.
Totally agree, if we all just did the basics the road would be a better place!!
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 09:42   #40
Lumen

Quote:
Indeed but I suppose I'll prioritise indicating right over left and I can still use my rear brake with my arm raised when turning right. On a very steep descent I'd probably take a glance back first and not indicate if I need to keep both hands on the bars/brakes or, if there is something behind, take up position early, indicate early and then return both hands to the bars prior to turning.
Right, but it's not ideal. A good example of this is the following turn off the road down to Kilmac.

https://goo.gl/maps/Az3bdjNZxZ52

It's a fast descent to a very slow turn.

As I said, it's not a problem I care enough to attempt to fix, but if bicycles had power and wiring looms they'd have indicators just like motorcycles do.
09-01-2019, 10:05   #41
Effects

Quote:
How did you manage when we had down tube shifters?
Don't change gear while turning a corner perhaps?
09-01-2019, 10:13   #42
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

This is all very academic surely. If your turning you should have slowed enough to make the turn, well in advance, meaning you can then continue to indicate and use either front or rear brakes if needed.

We appear to be looking for a problem that doesn't exist.
(2) thanks from:
09-01-2019, 10:56   #43
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Right, but it's not ideal. A good example of this is the following turn off the road down to Kilmac.

https://goo.gl/maps/Az3bdjNZxZ52

It's a fast descent to a very slow turn.

As I said, it's not a problem I care enough to attempt to fix, but if bicycles had power and wiring looms they'd have indicators just like motorcycles do.
Yes, it's a fast one alright. I think I'd just take up a position near the center early and hope to get the message across.

I'd be skeptical about small indicators on a bike as I don't think most motorist would see them or be expecting them especially in daylight. I'd prefer my arm or road position.
09-01-2019, 11:46   #44
cdaly_

Quote:
if bicycles had power and wiring looms they'd have indicators just like motorcycles do.
Mine does but hasn't. Has a brake light though...
Thanks from:
09-01-2019, 12:16   #45
Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by CramCycle View Post
This is all very academic surely. If you're turning you should have slowed enough to make the turn, well in advance, meaning you can then continue to indicate and use either front or rear brakes if needed.
A lot of roads in Dublin are in a bad condition. I'd rather not be taking turns with one hand on the handle bars, or slowing to a crawl either.
Continuing to signal your turn, while taking the turn is pointless and unnecessary.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion