Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk Thread - Beirne After Reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Goggin has just returned from injury. I think the Garryowen match was his first game in 3 months. He's never going to be an international, buts he's a pretty good squad player who can cover all across the three quarter line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Playing Ukraine and Scotland on 4th and 11th June. Not sure that would have any impact on whether rugby was played there few weeks beforehand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Nah they'd be safe enough. They had a soccer match less than 24 hours before a rugby match there a few years back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

No impact. they can turnaround pretty much within 24 hours for games. Sure November had Ireland Portugal on thursday night and Ireland New Zealand on the Saturday. pitch can take the two games without too much issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Tickets on sale for the Leinster game in April. Picked up a couple of €10 tickets in keeping with my policy of giving Leinster as little money as possible 😉

Very good price! Guess they're the "nosebleeds" but at that price can't complain and usually decent view of pitch no matter where seats are

• Munster: Matt Gallagher; Calvin Nash, Liam Coombes, Dan Goggin, Shane Daly; Jake Flannery, Neil Cronin; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Keynan Knox; Jean Kleyn, Fineen Wycherley; Jack O’Donoghue (C), John Hodnett, Jack O’Sullivan.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Josh Wycherley, Roman Salanoa, Thomas Ahern, Alex Kendellen, Paddy Patterson, Jack Crowley, Chris Farrell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,366 ✭✭✭✭phog

Lots of changes there, strong pack which I think we may need. Great to see Flannery starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

This would have been a great opportunity for Healy to build some rhythm and kick on from his strong performance last week. Now he'll be going 3 weeks without a game.

I get that Munster have 3 very good young 10s and they want to keep them all happy, but by swapping them in and out every week you hinder the development of all of them. Healy is 23 this year, he needs to be playing consistently.

Now people are going to say "oh you criticised Munster for not backing the youth, and now you're criticising them for playing too many young players". But a 10 can't develop if he's only getting a game every 3 weeks. Why couldn't Flannery have played 15? Or Crowley at 12 or 15.

As I said, I understand Munster have 3 very good young 10s that they want to keep. But changing the 10 every week doesn't help any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Keep your pants on , we have 5 games in the middle of the 6 nations... lots of game time... and Healy has been playing a lot with Munster and Garryowen..

Glasgow (a) 11th, Edinburgh (h) 18th, Dragon (a) 5th Mar, Bulls (a) 12th Mar and Lions (a) 19th Mar during the 6N.

(Ireland playing on the 5th, 12th, 27th, 12th Mar & 19th Mar)

Munster: Matt Gallagher; Calvin Nash, Liam Coombes, Dan Goggin, Shane Daly; Jake Flannery, Neil Cronin; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Keynan Knox; Jean Kleyn, Fineen Wycherley; Jack O’Donoghue (C), John Hodnett, Jack O’Sullivan.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Josh Wycherley, Roman Salanoa, Thomas Ahern, Alex Kendellen, Paddy Patterson, Jack Crowley, Chris Farrell.

I'm delighted with that team, especially the front row and the sub front row, actually, the whole pack and the substitute forwards...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

As far as I'm aware, Flannery is out of contract at the end of the year. He'll be under a lot of pressure to perform here if he's to be offered a contract for next season and I think it's reasonable that he deserves a start to show what he can do in that regard.

You're right that people will say "oh you criticised Munster for not backing the youth, and now you're criticising them for playing too many young players". And they'd be right. Because even in this instance, you've focused entirely on the 10 situation.

Rather than commenting on at a squad full of positives, you're looking for the negative angle to criticise Munster.

It's the nature of having multiple good players at a position it's no harm tbh. Leinster will be similar with sexton,byrne,byrne,tector from next year

I think it's no harm for a young oh to play a game look at the tape and have a few weeks to work on Improvments at training or ail level then come back more confident with them.

Rotation is good at any position we've seen healy and crowley have something and they will oush each other on bow it's time to see of flannery does or does not he had a cracking u20 world Cup after byrne and healy got hurt.

The elephant in the room is if joey walks back into the starting 10 role and I really don't think he should at this point

Edit: to add to this the "he's 23 this year" is an odd way of phrasing it. He's 22 and playing regularly and Improving regularly its going well

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Really exciting team all round I think. This front row will likely be the one to carry us forward over the next few years, Gallagher gets a chance to put himself in contention with Hailey at fb, hodnett getting back to full speed, super young bench, Liam Coombes looked excellent at center vs scarlets so hopefully he pushes on.

One thing I noticed is us getting a bit disjointed when bringing lots of younger talent off the bench the last few times we have so hopefully that picks up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster having too many young 10s is a new one.

Ruaidhri O'Connor was moaning last we when we switched Healy in for Crowley after Crowley have a great game in Castres and now there's moaning that we're switching Healy out for Flannery. I guess no matter who is named moaners will moan.

Probably ya. At least we haven't had a "munster don't play young players" comment for a week or so it's refreshing. The rotation vs sticking with a guy argument is probably legit one in general but given the success leinster have had with rotation I'm not sure why anyone in this country would dispute its benefits

Someone on reddit mentioned this squad has 12 munster born players 24 or under with a combined 212 caps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Suggesting that the young out half who tore it up v Wasps last week would benefit from regular game time is moaning? My god you're touchy.

• Advertisement

Munster have 6 games in the next 7 weeks. Healy will get plenty of game time.

I mean, it's all of 6 weeks ago that you were saying potential Munster selections were:

“…Indicative of Munster's reluctance to back their young talent…”

Given how much you've criticized them in the past, you more than anyone should be happy with the young teams they've selected. But instead of discussing that, you'd still prefer to criticise them for the 10 situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Flannery would look good at the rds, in blue!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

First world problems I guess.

TRC10 has a point though. You have two young guys who've done well in recent weeks, but young guys need games to develop and throwing another guy into the mix to dilute the game time even further is a debatable strategy. For all we know, Carbery might even be released for a game or two during the 6N to get minutes, in which case the young guys have even fewer games to share.

If Flannery was ever going to play senior rugby, this is the game to do it because Munster are going to annihilate Zebre, he won't get a more gentle introduction to the first team - but then what we will really learn about him?

I think that might be an issue next season but with so many games over the next two months I think everyone will get minutes. I'm not sure if Carbery will get released, maybe players will be held back in camp for Covid reasons. We'll see.

In fairness to Flannery, he was on the bench against Connacht and went unused. He was overdue a game. Given Carbery's injury record, you never know when Flannery might be needed and there's value I think in starting him now, albeit against a facile opponent.

But if we won’t learn anything about Flannery here due to the quality of the opposition then, drawing this to its logical conclusion, there’s no value in giving the game time to Crowley or Healy either.

In which case, where’s the problem? If anything, it makes even more sense to give Flannery his debut start at 10 in that context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yep I can see that side of the argument too.

However the value in playing Healy or Crowley would be in giving them a chance to build some momentum in the side, I don't know if all this chopping and changing is ideal. But yeah, there's no perfect solution here

Munster are in a bit of a shithouse with so much talent at out half. With 4 oh's and all potentially good ones, it's going to be hard to keep them all happy. The best scenario imo, would be for one of them to be slotted in as a 12. I think Flannery would be ideal in the backline.

Going forward, post world cup, I bet Healy or Crowley are the starting 10. I would guess Carberry is safe enough as the main 10 right now, due to his international status. Of course, a string of high quality games, could vault another lad into the pole position. Munster are blessed atm.

Ethan Coghlan into the 23 from the Ireland under 20s squad after Paddy Patterson didn't travel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Flannery isnt big enough to be a 12, out of the 3, Crowley probably has the best skillset and mentality to be a 12, good footwork and seems to like the dirty work as well.

Would be great to keep all 3 and give them good minutes, just can't see it happening if Joey is considered top dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Last 5 games

Munster lost 1 ( connacht) and won 4

Connacht won 1 ( munster) and lost 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Keith wood will surely be magnanimous enough to acknowledge publicly how wrong he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Still very quiet on the coaching replacement front, hope Munster are getting the business sorted behind the scenes

Only end of January. Far better to wait longer and get best coach available then rush and get whoever is available now...

I heard that there have been interviews - at what stage they're at now I don't know. I assume Munster would target some coaches and other coaches might throw their hat in the ring. I don't know if Munster pick an candidate for the Head Coach role and an assistant coach and send them for approval from IRFU or if IRFU actually sit on interview panels.

I think it's Nucifora and the IRFU that handle the head coach recruitment. It makes sense considering its importance.

Declan Moore is heading back to Ulster on loan and joining them permanently next summer.

It also says that that Ahern had a thigh injury and will be going for a scan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

JOD nominated for EPCR Player of the Year

Moore hasn't made a mark. He hasn't started for Munster. Ulster must be looking for depth.

• I'm surprised they didn't try for Kevin O’Byrne instead, he was excellent when he had a run of games that coincided with Scannell's injury.

Even for him not to be travelling to Zebre and instead be back in Cork playing with Highfield shows that he has seriously fallen out of favour.

The KOB thing is a mystery. He looked to have the best handling skills of all our hookers, he was always pretty solid in the lineout too. I'd prefer him to Scannell at this stage but he's not getting a look in.

Looks like Scannell, Barron and Buckley will be duking it out going forward.

Ahern is a bit luckless with injury, always seems to catch a niggle just around the time he'd be hoping for a run of games

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Advertisement

The rumours were right so. Thought he'd been linked to another club or 2 but good to see him sign for us.

Massive signing

He usually plays 13 so Farrell more likely playing 12?

Shame to see DDA go tho

I'd have preferred to keep DDA but with him leaving then this is a great signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Malachy Feckitanyway, welcome to the parish,.

Feck it, feckin Fekitoa at feckin Munster.

• Advertisement
Advertisement