Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Podcast App - Android

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I use podkicker for all my free podcasts and beyond pod for one I pay for. Podkicker is great. Beyond pod I could take it or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I use stitcher. Don't think it's great to be honest. Ui isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sassenach

+1 for Podcast Addict - love the auto download at 1am every night new episodes arrive for my commute next day

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

Tried podcast addict but switched recently to podcast republic and find it much more user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Any android podcast app out there that shows controls (pause/play/skip) on the lockscreen? I'm running beyondpod on lollipop(6.x) and it's not supported. I find this feature very useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭brevity

CastBox is pretty good...don't really have many complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

degsie wrote: »
    Any android podcast app out there that shows controls (pause/play/skip) on the lockscreen? I'm running beyondpod on lollipop(6.x) and it's not supported. I find this feature very useful.

Pocket Casts supports this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

BeyondPod does this

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Player FM has that. Find it a great podcast app, free and no adds either.

Hippo wrote: »
    BeyondPod does this

I think it might be the loader my Honor 5X uses by default.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

GEO147 wrote: »
    Player FM has that. Find it a great podcast app, free and no adds either.

Just discovered this, best podcast app hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pinkman

New to Android and looking for the best Podcast app to replace the IOS app. I downloaded Stitcher but there is very little Irish content on it. I typed in Newstalk and the only show that comes up is Newstalk Breakfast. Loads of Irish shows on RTE, TodayFM and Newstalk that I listen to are not on it? Are there apps that have the same content as the Itunes feed? Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Pinkman wrote: »
    New to Android and looking for the best Podcast app to replace the IOS app. I downloaded Stitcher but there is very little Irish content on it. I typed in Newstalk and the only show that comes up is Newstalk Breakfast. Loads of Irish shows on RTE, TodayFM and Newstalk that I listen to are not on it? Are there apps that have the same content as the Itunes feed? Cheers.

I purchased and swear by pocket casts (link).

Also bought the browser access (means I can log in through play.pocketcasts.com and resume listening to podcasts there). Here's what appears when I search Newstalk.

9pGfqhz.png

Podcast Addict would be the next best (free) equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pinkman

Cheers for that. I'll download them now.:cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just moved to Pocketcasts. So far, so good. I like the design, features and how much control it gives you on each subscription. Only slight issue in the car this morning was that it rolled from one episode into another without changing the info on my car's screen i.e. from Planet Money to a BBC episode - screen thought it was still PM and the time wasn't accurate either. Wasn't an issue this evening, so might have just been a glitch. Will see how things go for the rest of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I wish Pocket would do a search feature, for searching episodes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

6 weeks on - happy with Pocketcasts.

Artwork doesn't always display on Pocketcasts, but that could be an iOS issue.

Other thing I'm wondering about is, if I move my Pocketcasts account to another device will the subscriptions/preferences be carried over, or would I have to set them all up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I have Pocketcasts on multiple devices (including the web), and my subscriptions/preferences sync. Only thing that doesn't is the Now Playing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ive been using podbean the last few months. Only downloaded it coz a regular itunes podcast I listen to is on it aswell. Shows & selections seem very hit and miss and limited in choice if your looking for extra listening. Another issue I have is that the app just randomly starts playing a show I might have paused earlier in the day when phones not being used

• Advertisement

Pocketcasts has been completely revamped. Hmm, not sure about the changes.

Been using the Google podcast app more frequently, works quite well for me.

Podcast addict is a pretty good option for a free app imo

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

I use a free version of player FM and find it great

ianob7 wrote: »
    I use a free version of player FM and find it great

used to use that but things that but basic things that they only have in pro like download full episode on mobile network was annoying so changed to podcast addict.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

I currently use Stitcher. It has a great selection of apps and is quite easy to use. However I will be trying some of the other ones suggested above as Stitcher has a lot of areas that need improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Cushtie

I use Podcast Republic. It seems OK and has plenty of Irish Content. I haven't used any of the others mentioned above so nothing to compare to.

Cushtie wrote: »
    I use Podcast Republic. It seems OK and has plenty of Irish Content. I haven't used any of the others mentioned above so nothing to compare to.

It was the first one I tried a couple of years ago and I absolutely love it so I have never had a reason to try others out. I have never found myself saying to myself 'i wish I could do this'

But now i stumbled up on this thread and hear all this pocketcasts talk my head has been turned slightly...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I use podcast republic too. TBH, it does everything I want perfectly, so no reason to change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I use Podcast Addict - I've never had any trouble finding any podcasts on that.

Advertisement