Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

awaiting a letter from NCAD for CORE year starting sept 2011?? :O

Options
  • 23-02-2011 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

hey all!
    i'm curious as to how many of you boards people out there are waiting for a letter in the post from NCAD as to whether your portfolio has passed the assesment?!! :D anybody nervous? :eek: aaaagh why must we wait until mid to late March for the result when the portfolios had to be removed from the college by yesterday? :P would appreciate if people who have been through this process before would share their stories! what is the portfolio marked out of and how do you get a breakdown of marks etc? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Its out of 1000 and they don't give you a break down just your score. It informs you whether this is enough to get in (if you get the academic grades required in your leaving cert) or if you're on the waiting list.

I didn't think the wait was too long because it takes a while to process the scores and the people involved have enough work on their hands with their students. When you get into art college you'll probably complain you won't be seeing your tutor during the portfolio weeks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

Its out of 1000 and they don't give you a break down just your score. It informs you whether this is enough to get in (if you get the academic grades required in your leaving cert) or if you're on the waiting list.

I didn't think the wait was too long because it takes a while to process the scores and the people involved have enough work on their hands with their students. When you get into art college you'll probably complain you won't be seeing your tutor during the portfolio weeks :P

hopfully the letter will be telling me that i got enough :P true im not finding it too bad because i brought it to Dublin 1st and then i just picked it up on Monday and its nearing the end of February already so just 2/3 weeks i'm hoping (that is them sending out the results in mid March and not late March ha :P) true i'll probably be giving out this time next year! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 catman103

Hey there, I too am waiting for my letter. The time between me handing in my portfolio and taking it back was the worst, I was plagued with worries and the like, but then just after I picked it up my mocks were on so my mind has been taken off it. Occasionally I am reminded of it and I shudder, but that's about it.
    Did any one else's have signs of it being looked at? My sheets were out of their section and out of order, hopefully that meant they had a good look through it.
    Also I've read from other threads that the portfolios are usually sent back in late march/ early april.... Thats seems like a long time away but hopefully it'll pass peacefully.

catman103 wrote: »
    Hey there, I too am waiting for my letter. The time between me handing in my portfolio and taking it back was the worst, I was plagued with worries and the like, but then just after I picked it up my mocks were on so my mind has been taken off it. Occasionally I am reminded of it and I shudder, but that's about it.
    Did any one else's have signs of it being looked at? My sheets were out of their section and out of order, hopefully that meant they had a good look through it.
    Also I've read from other threads that the portfolios are usually sent back in late march/ early april.... Thats seems like a long time away but hopefully it'll pass peacefully.

i know i had my mock exams last week so i had to cram all my study in along with doing the exams so i had left the porfolio in the back of my mind :P i'm just relieved that it's all over with because it was hard working on it with the leaving cert and all...i had done NO study for my mocks because i was working so hard on the portfolio coming up to the 4th of Feb! for the majority my sheets were all in order but the corners were turned up etc. what number was everyone when they submitted their portfolios to NCAD?? i was number 55 on the last thursday BUT on another thread i saw that there was just over 500 applicants at 4:15 on the friday :rolleyes: ha!

sligo. wrote: »
    i know i had my mock exams last week so i had to cram all my study in along with doing the exams so i had left the porfolio in the back of my mind :P i'm just relieved that it's all over with because it was hard working on it with the leaving cert and all...i had done NO study for my mocks because i was working so hard on the portfolio coming up to the 4th of Feb! for the majority my sheets were all in order but the corners were turned up etc. what number was everyone when they submitted their portfolios to NCAD?? i was number 55 on the last thursday BUT on another thread i saw that there was just over 500 applicants at 4:15 on the friday :rolleyes: ha!

Well I was number 107 at around half 10, and my friend was 200 later that day (the last thursday). The people taking our portfolios were saying that most people just come right before they close at half 4 i think it was, so there could have been a lot more. 500 though 15 minutes before the closing time, doesnt sound like that many compared to other colleges.

• Advertisement

Well I was number 107 at around half 10, and my friend was 200 later that day (the last thursday). The people taking our portfolios were saying that most people just come right before they close at half 4 i think it was, so there could have been a lot more. 500 though 15 minutes before the closing time, doesnt sound like that many compared to other colleges.

yeah they must have come on the last day...at the last minute :P i wouldn't have chanced going on the last day incase i got stuck on the train or something ha, i nearly didn't make the NCAD open day with the snow so i was taking no chances :pac: did you go to the open day? i think it was that same person that said when they were leaving the college 30 people were queuing with portfolios :eek: what did everyones portfolios weigh in at??....and what size portfolio did ye all work with? i used A1 and it sort of made my life hell, but it was worth the effort i suppose :)

yeah they must have come on the last day...at the last minute :P i wouldn't have chanced going on the last day incase i got stuck on the train or something ha, i nearly didn't make the NCAD open day with the snow so i was taking no chances :pac: did you go to the open day? i think it was that same person that said when they were leaving the college 30 people were queuing with portfolios :eek: what did everyones portfolios weigh in at??....and what size portfolio did ye all work with? i used A1 and it sort of made my life hell, but it was worth the effort i suppose :)

Actually sorry I went on the last day: Friday, but I live in Dublin so it's less of a deal. Yeah I went to the open day aswell, snow and all, it was what really pushed me to work hard on the portfolio, we were some of the only few there though, which was great, apparently there are usually masses of people going but there were hardly any. My portfolio was way under the limit, and A2, but I think I did a lot of work, just on paper, and light.

Actually sorry I went on the last day: Friday, but I live in Dublin so it's less of a deal. Yeah I went to the open day aswell, snow and all, it was what really pushed me to work hard on the portfolio, we were some of the only few there though, which was great, apparently there are usually masses of people going but there were hardly any. My portfolio was way under the limit, and A2, but I think I did a lot of work, just on paper, and light.

yeah i was just wondering how that was because i was there at lunchtime on the thursday ha :) its a bit of a trek from Sligo! i was really glad i went to the open day because i realised how cool the college is and what it would be like to actually work there, it was just like a big school sort of! :pac: i was surprised that they didnt put off the open day because the turnout was pretty poor in the end with the snow and all, the students themselves wern't even in the college :P i forgot to weigh my portfolio before i left but it was underweight thankfuly, 7 and a half kgs!

yeah i was just wondering how that was because i was there at lunchtime on the thursday ha :) its a bit of a trek from Sligo! i was really glad i went to the open day because i realised how cool the college is and what it would be like to actually work there, it was just like a big school sort of! :pac: i was surprised that they didnt put off the open day because the turnout was pretty poor in the end with the snow and all, the students themselves wern't even in the college :P i forgot to weigh my portfolio before i left but it was underweight thankfuly, 7 and a half kgs!

Yeah, I think 10kgs is hard to muster in a portfolio, unless youre packing some seriously heavy weight pieces...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Yeah, I think 10kgs is hard to muster in a portfolio, unless youre packing some seriously heavy weight pieces...

A few of us in my portfolio course last year were near or over the limit. I think layered pages and sketchbooks made it tricky, I had to leave a book out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭snicket

I've kinda stopped worrying now, I'd somehow convinced myself they gave back your results with your portfolio so I was bricking it all that week... such an anticlimax :p I doubt I'm gonna get it anyway, I'd say the standard is really high!

snicket wrote: »
    I've kinda stopped worrying now, I'd somehow convinced myself they gave back your results with your portfolio so I was bricking it all that week... such an anticlimax :p I doubt I'm gonna get it anyway, I'd say the standard is really high!

at this stage you may aswel not worry too much seeing as you thought you'd get your result on the collection day ha :) but give me one or 2 weeks from now and i'll be frantically checking the post everyday and i'll be on edge :P no dont be negative anyways! it crossed my mind before to be negative but theres no point in saying you wont get in. i'm not being hopeful that i will get in but i'm just going to be optimistic :) and apply to the other colleges in the meantime if i dont get a pleasant letter from NCAD ha :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lemonade1

hey so is any1 sending there brief to DIT this week too?
    its getting close!

lemonade1 wrote: »
    hey so is any1 sending there brief to DIT this week too?
    its getting close!

hi there! well i had applied to DIT through the CAO and then i got the info from them and it really just didnt suit me :eek: i couldn't bring it to them on the same day i was picking it up from NCAD because they want it on either the 3rd or the 4th? so then i'd have to go all the way up to Dublin again (from Sligo!) and leave it there for about 10 days i think they said so then i'd have to go up again and no i dont think i'd bother with a courrier just incase :P ha! so no i'm not applying to DIT now! you?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 EMILY.C

Hey! Yeh, I'm waiting for my NCAD letter too! I think I'm more stressed out now than when i was actually doing the brief! I was so close last year, I just hope I get it this year!

EMILY.C wrote: »
    Hey! Yeh, I'm waiting for my NCAD letter too! I think I'm more stressed out now than when i was actually doing the brief! I was so close last year, I just hope I get it this year!

you applied last year too? were you put on a waiting list and obviously just unfortunate not to be selected then?:( did you do a PLC this year?? :) i want it to come soon! yaaaaay it is now officially March (the month of the dreaded letter:P) hope it actually does come this month, and soon! best of luck to you, as with everyone else on here, hope ye get in!:D

you applied last year too? were you put on a waiting list and obviously just unfortunate not to be selected then?:( did you do a PLC this year?? :) i want it to come soon! yaaaaay it is now officially March (the month of the dreaded letter:P) hope it actually does come this month, and soon! best of luck to you, as with everyone else on here, hope ye get in!:D

Best of luck to you too! Yeah i go to Colaiste Dhulaigh! I know i wish it would just come right now!!!

hi there! well i had applied to DIT through the CAO and then i got the info from them and it really just didnt suit me :eek: i couldn't bring it to them on the same day i was picking it up from NCAD because they want it on either the 3rd or the 4th? so then i'd have to go all the way up to Dublin again (from Sligo!) and leave it there for about 10 days i think they said so then i'd have to go up again and no i dont think i'd bother with a courrier just incase :P ha! so no i'm not applying to DIT now! you?? :)

ahh i have picked mine up already and i live just outside dublin so its easier for me but i did have to reschedual my limerick interview as it clashed with DITs ten days! I applied to most art courses as i am not expecting to get my first preference ie NCAD

ahh i have picked mine up already and i live just outside dublin so its easier for me but i did have to reschedual my limerick interview as it clashed with DITs ten days! I applied to most art courses as i am not expecting to get my first preference ie NCAD

yeah i dont want to expect NCAD either, just hope :P aaaagh i've so much on atm, i've only finished my mocks today, had 2 full days or art drawing exams there :eek: and i havn't even thought about the Limerick thingy....yano the essays?! :P help! what were they 150 words each? i havn't looked at that letter since i got it about 3/4 weeks ago cause i've so much on! what to do for them hmmm. and btw, how are ye going to set up your portfolios for other colleges?? like just put in the 16 NCAD pages or half and half? are they really that strict about just having 20 pages?? :confused: cause i'd love to pack it with the 16 NCAD pages and all my other stuff :)

I had a dream last night that I only got 50 points for my NCAD portfolio!! anxiety setting in:confused::)

• Advertisement

yeah i dont want to expect NCAD either, just hope :P aaaagh i've so much on atm, i've only finished my mocks today, had 2 full days or art drawing exams there :eek: and i havn't even thought about the Limerick thingy....yano the essays?! :P help! what were they 150 words each? i havn't looked at that letter since i got it about 3/4 weeks ago cause i've so much on! what to do for them hmmm. and btw, how are ye going to set up your portfolios for other colleges?? like just put in the 16 NCAD pages or half and half? are they really that strict about just having 20 pages?? :confused: cause i'd love to pack it with the 16 NCAD pages and all my other stuff :)

i put in the majority of ncad and then added sum school work life drawing and such but kept to under 20

i put in the majority of ncad and then added sum school work life drawing and such but kept to under 20

yeah i've chopped some of my sheets from the NCAD portfolio now and i'll stick in some of the finished pieces i did before...and off to Limerick on the 15th! :) still have to do the essays though haha, all this weekend methinks :P hurry up mid to late March, aaaagh!! :confused:

So do you guys think NCAD letters will be this week or next? What do you think the points will be like?

So do you guys think NCAD letters will be this week or next? What do you think the points will be like?

well myself and my mother are counting the days untill mid March but whos knows it will most likely be out late March :P i hope not though! but with paddy's day and all i bet they wont be out this week :confused: arrrrgh hope i get above the cut off :p going to LSAD tuesday and have still to do my essays :eek: :pac:

well they came on the 18th last year! :confused: so i thnk either late this week or early next:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SadMatt

Last year, one guy from my school received a letter from NCAD around 18th of March. So yeah, the results might be coming soon.
    I can't wait!

SadMatt wrote: »
    Last year, one guy from my school received a letter from NCAD around 18th of March. So yeah, the results might be coming soon.
    I can't wait!

aaagh! thats two people there that said the 18th :P there may be hope for this week? anyone bank on a letter by friday?? ;) they better come soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kieranofarl

so results might be out Friday? Im seriously stressing about all this portfolio stuff, had to bring to Limerick today, but i'm not sure if i'll get either courses.

so results might be out Friday? Im seriously stressing about all this portfolio stuff, had to bring to Limerick today, but i'm not sure if i'll get either courses.

ha snap i was there today too :P i'm a bit nervous but hey don't worry too much! i'm sure you'll get a course :) it would be great to have both letters by friday!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Best of luck to you all - you've worked so hard - hope you get the places you want but don't forget - if the news is bad, there are other routes and stay positive. The waiting is horrible, I really feel for ye!

Hope ye hear soon :)

Advertisement