Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Internet package for Smart Speakers?

Options
  • 20-02-2020 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to setup some Google Home or Amazon Echo speakers in a house that currently has no internet connection, and will only be used to give internet access to the speakers.

I'm not expecting the speaker usage to be taxing on the internet connection, basic information questions, maybe at some point turning devices or switches on/off, also considering using Echo Connect for calls (in which case will be using Echo speakers).

The house is in Lucan, Co. Dublin and the landline is with eir.

I'm looking for a basic package that will be provide a reliable service for the above requirements.

Any suggestions?

Mossy

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well your options are either, the usual Eir/Sky/Vodafone/Digiweb options. Sky look to have a deal for €35 per month for 12 months which looks decent.

You could also maybe try mobile option, Gomo, €13 per month for 80GB + a 4G router. Though reliability might not be the same as the wired option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Mossy wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to setup some Google Home or Amazon Echo speakers in a house that currently has no internet connection, and will only be used to give internet access to the speakers.

I'm not expecting the speaker usage to be taxing on the internet connection, basic information questions, maybe at some point turning devices or switches on/off, also considering using Echo Connect for calls (in which case will be using Echo speakers).

The house is in Lucan, Co. Dublin and the landline is with eir.

I'm looking for a basic package that will be provide a reliable service for the above requirements.

Any suggestions?

Mossy

I would suggest using Magnet Fatpipe Fibre 24. It costs €30 pm for an 18 mths contract, with the first 6 months discounted to €20pm. If you want to keep your telephone it’s another €10pm, which includes unlimited free calls to Irish Landlines.

The service uses copper from the exchange and is more than sufficient for your needs and general internet use. The speed depends on your distance from the exchange, but is generally sufficient for Netflix HD, but not UHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Mossy

bk wrote: »
    Well your options are either, the usual Eir/Sky/Vodafone/Digiweb options. Sky look to have a deal for €35 per month for 12 months which looks decent.

You could also maybe try mobile option, Gomo, €13 per month for 80GB + a 4G router. Though reliability might not be the same as the wired option.

As a matter of general interest, is mobile data less reliable than regular broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Mossy wrote: »
    As a matter of general interest, is mobile data less reliable than regular broadband?

Generally yes, throughout in particular, and much less consistent

Advertisement