Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing kerosene (heating oil) from clothes and washing machine

Options
  • 18-02-2020 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Can anyone suggest an effective way too do this, preferably without the use of chemicals? So far I've done a 60c soak wash with detergent, baking soda and white vinegar then a 40c wash with the same additives but the smell is still there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bronco Bullfrog

I spilled a load of kerosene over myself while adding kerosene into the tank from a container with a hand pump. I had to soak the clothes in a bucket of water with half a bottle of white vinegar for about 2-3 weeks. That did the trick. You could see the oil floating on the water. After that I just put the clothes through a regular wash cycle.
    You could try cleaning out the washing machine using soda crystals. An appliance repair man recommended soda crystals to me for cleaning a washing machine. Dri Pak soda crystals in a green pack are available in most supermarkets in the washing powder section.
    To use soda crystals to clean your washing machine, add 500g of the soda crystals to the drum, and then run your machine on the longest, hottest cycle. This should rinse away any stains and smells, leaving you with a clean, machine.

Other than that Aldi & Lidl both do washing machine cleaner as do Dettol brand washing machine cleaner which all would be fragranced might also help with any smells.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Hot wash in empty machine with a dishwasher tablet, repeat if necessary

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement