Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biking experience count towards car insurance

Options
  • 12-02-2020 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hey all. I've been on bikes for probably 15 years now at this stage but this year I'd like to try get my car test done as I've never done it :o and the thoughts of getting screwed on insurance are killing me.

Is there any way that someone in their late 30's with a full clean bike license (10+yrs) can get this driving experience factored in when going to get car insurance for the first time on a car license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

No. No Insurer will factor in bike experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No. No Insurer will factor in bike experience.

Claims do factor. So you get no benefit from riding safely for years, but make a claim and it effects both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Well it wouldnt be insurance if they only took the thing that they could charge you more for.

I made a claim as a cyclist - completely not my fault and I only claimed for my bike (Bike was valued around €6k), one insurance company recorded and said it *could affect my premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Well that sucks. Does that also happen that you essentially start afresh when going from different categories of 4 wheels i.e B to C or D?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well that sucks. Does that also happen that you essentially start afresh when going from different categories of 4 wheels i.e B to C or D?

Yes,

And for example if you wanted to get a Van, your car insurance doesnt count a squat and visa versa.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Yes,

And for example if you wanted to get a Van, your car insurance doesnt count a squat and visa versa.

Wow that's amazing, I was fully expecting car to count somehow at least for vans. Sure some cars / jeeps are nearly as big as some vans..

I just went and did some online quotes and holy jazus - putting in 37yrs with 0yr full car license in a 1ltr Yaris and I'm getting figures around 1600-1900 for the year tpft! That certainly puts a dampener on it all before I even do the lessons and test.

Put 1/2 experienced drivers down as named drivers under you.

When I took out my Insurance on a 2012 Civic 1.8 Petrol I was getting quoted €1,600 with 1 years named driver experience. It dropped to around €900 with my mother as a named driver under me. (I was 28 at the time and just passed my test, Insurance through Liberty Mutual online quote)

I wouldn't rule out trying larger engines to get a quote because I was getting quoted around the same for 1ltr engines. A 2013 1.6 Diesel Hyundai was the most expensive at around €1,900.

My dad has a van and when he first started out the Insurer willing to accept his car NCB for it, but he could only use the NCB on 1 vehicle at a time so he stated out with 0 NCB on the van and kept the NCB for the car.

The NCB is silly as it should not be tied to a single vehicle it should be tied to the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Yes,

It depends. I had 8 years with MY company van via FBD. When I got a private car instead they gave me some NCB

Put 1/2 experienced drivers down as named drivers under you.

When I took out my Insurance on a 2012 Civic 1.8 Petrol I was getting quoted €1,600 with 1 years named driver experience. It dropped to around €900 with my mother as a named driver under me. (I was 28 at the time and just passed my test, Insurance through Liberty Mutual online quote)

I wouldn't rule out trying larger engines to get a quote because I was getting quoted around the same for 1ltr engines. A 2013 1.6 Diesel Hyundai was the most expensive at around €1,900.

My dad has a van and when he first started out the Insurer willing to accept his car NCB for it, but he could only use the NCB on 1 vehicle at a time so he stated out with 0 NCB on the van and kept the NCB for the car.

The NCB is silly as it should not be tied to a single vehicle it should be tied to the person.

Sounds like an idea but I don't understand how just lashing someone on your insurance as a named driver makes it cheaper or you less risky from the insurance companies perspective? Does the named driver have to be at the same address as you or something?

No they don't have to be living at the same address, not for Liberty anyway.

• Advertisement

No they don't have to be living at the same address, not for Liberty anyway.

That's gas, how does that make any sense? It's sounds like it's just a loophole then.

Also, I just threw the exact same details I was using into one of the forms except this time I said I had 1 yr driving exp / 1 yr claims free as named on someone else's policy and the price dropped to 850. Might see if I can get myself thrown onto one of the folks for a few bob now in prep for the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It depends. I had 8 years with MY company van via FBD. When I got a private car instead they gave me some NCB

That's rare and fbd would have had to have your name against the policy.

Insurance is a scam in this county absolute scam

That's rare and fbd would have had to have your name against the policy.

Insurance is a scam in this county absolute scam

Yep, agreed! Never seen myself having to pay that much for a car at my age. Can't remember now but it's probably what sent me onto bikes as a late teen in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,889 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When I got my first bike in 1995 it cost me just under £1000 TPO on a 100cc! Norwich Union had a monopoly on bike insurance then and rode us all sideways for years.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

When I started in 1993, it cost me only £105 TPO up to 100cc on a Norwich Union rider policy. Good job I was in a rural area, despite being only TPO (all you could get under aged 28), a city area was a whopping £210! :confused::P

(I lived in Scotland at the time)

Ah yeah I remember Norwich Union alright. Can't recall what I paid them, it was a lot but was definitely cheaper than a car at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Nothing is a greater indicator that it's a scam when experience isn't transferable or that it disappears after two years.

Full no claims, 10 yrs+ driving experience. Leave the country for 2yrs and puff that all vanishes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was a late switcher to car driving too. Bizarrely, once I had the full licence, my quote went down when I added a learner to it. Makes no sense at all.

spurious wrote: »
    I was a late switcher to car driving too. Bizarrely, once I had the full licence, my quote went down when I added a learner to it. Makes no sense at all.

Bizarre is right, as you we're a new full license holder you wouldn't even be able to be the experienced driver sitting with the learner anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

At the ripe old age of 40 I've decided to make the jump too. I have no interest in cars but a recent health scare changed my mind.

My missus is going to get me put onto her insurance on a 1.6 diesel estate and its only costing about 400 extra :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In the same boat too. Have had both car and bike licenses for 15 odd years but havent owned a car since 2014. But as I get a bit older having only a bike can be limiting at times. Im also getting a bit weary with winter biking so think a car is needed soon.

Im a named driver on a couple of friends car policies but Im not sure if insurance companies even take that into account. Havent got a quote yet but Im dreading it. Its really is a farce that they dont count bike experience whatsoever. If anything it is more skillful, would imagine bikers driving are a lot more aware of their surroundings too than many motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,889 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

yeah, but you've never performed what is officially the ultimate test of driving skill - reversing around a corner :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement