Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guest at a wedding in Poland

Options
  • 10-02-2020 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I'm attending a wedding in Poland during the summer - looking for some tips in terms of the wedding itself - rig-out styles, hair, make up, gúnas, etc........any no-no's in terms of female guests, or general 'obvious-to-Polish-people-but-not-Irish' tips

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I was at a wedding in Poland a few years back and I found people broadly dressed the same as here, albeit slightly mroe summery as they've better weather. I wore a frilly maxi dress and heals and brought a pashmina for the evening. My dress nipped in at the waist and was otherwise flowy so I wouldn't get too hot.

In our case the wedding wasn't until 4pm and on the day it just wasnt as hot as other days, so it was grand. I did bring some clips in my bag to tie up my hair if it was sweaty but it wasnt.

Main tip is not to go wild on the vodka.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

I was at a wedding there last year. Just to reiterate, be careful with the vodka! You'll probably do the Irish thing of wine and champagne throughout the day. If you do the polish thing of vodka as well you'll be double drinking and end up hitting on the groom or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

blue note wrote: »
    I was at a wedding there last year. Just to reiterate, be careful with the vodka! You'll probably do the Irish thing of wine and champagne throughout the day. If you do the polish thing of vodka as well you'll be double drinking and end up hitting on the groom or something.

not a big drinker, thank God - was wondering really around customs, etc aswell - like presuming no female guests wearing white, etc.......have heard they're not big into the aul fascinators, etc.......I don't do those anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

cjmcork wrote: »
    not a big drinker, thank God - was wondering really around customs, etc aswell - like presuming no female guests wearing white, etc.......have heard they're not big into the aul fascinators, etc.......I don't do those anyway!

Sorry, I'm of no use to you there. It was a great wedding though and the poles are just lovely. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The amount of food available for consumption at the weddings I have been at is astonishing

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

The amount of food available for consumption at the weddings I have been at is astonishing

I was at a couple of extended family weddings in Poland. I would say that they in general take the religious part more seriously than in Ireland. Or else that’s just my relatives extended family.

I wouldn’t personally go too low with the top, or too high with the skirt. Dressed up, but not too much so. Nothing backless or low back either. Personally, no different from what I’d wear to a wedding in Ireland - but I’d err on the side of conservatism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

If they are having games, take part, even if they seem a bit silly!

Advertisement