Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension contributions

Options
  • 04-02-2020 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi! I am just looking for some information regarding teachers pension. I worked in Ireland for three years as a secondary teacher before moving abroad. I plan on continuing to work abroad. However, I do not have a pension plan here. Can I start paying into to my old teachers pension in Ireland again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

Nari85 wrote: »
    Hi! I am just looking for some information regarding teachers pension. I worked in Ireland for three years as a secondary teacher before moving abroad. I plan on continuing to work abroad. However, I do not have a pension plan here. Can I start paying into to my old teachers pension in Ireland again?

Don't think so. Once there is a break of 26 weeks service you're kicked into the new pension scheme, which is based on career average. Which is crap if you haven't worked for long in the Irish system.

I suspect they figured they'd save an absolute fortune by keeping teachers abroad, then when they return the amount will be worth less than what you put in!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Nari85 wrote: »

No because you're not working as a teacher in Ireland.

Advertisement