Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lock for catalytic converter.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jmreire

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    Interesting thread as a Prius owner. Since these thefts escalated in the last 18 months or so I've started I always try to park between two other cars to prevent access in car parks.
    Looked into cat locks and one place at Newlands Cross, part of the Auto key place, wanted 479 before VAT to fit one.
    Souhans Garage in Trim do a piece of angle iron welded over part of the exhaust to protect it. Haven't priced it yet. Screenshot in the attachment of it.
    Again not 100% deterrent but might be enough to get them to move on. That's about all you can hope for.

That's the general idea all right, make it as difficult and time consuming as possible for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Interesting thread as a Prius owner. Since these thefts escalated in the last 18 months or so I've started I always try to park between two other cars to prevent access in car parks.
    Looked into cat locks and one place at Newlands Cross, part of the Auto key place, wanted 479 before VAT to fit one.
    Souhans Garage in Trim do a piece of angle iron welded over part of the exhaust to protect it. Haven't priced it yet. Screenshot in the attachment of it.
    Again not 100% deterrent but might be enough to get them to move on. That's about all you can hope for.

Thanks might price this. Although my husband thinks now if we get a lock it might make thieves think that there's a Toyota cat coverter under it and be more inclined to cut it. What do you think?
    Newlands cross place funnily enough quoted me €350 for one fitted about 2 weeks ago.
    Have ordered window stickers stating that it's a non Toyota catalytic converter. For all the good it will probably do...

I looked into a tilt sensor alarm today but I was told because I have a factory alarm that I'd need a whole new alarm system just to get the tilt sensor which is near enough 350 which is the same price as the lock.

I always parked with bonnet facing in between 2 cars in shopping centres. In the end they got me at my house.
    I expected it to happen in a shopping centre but not at my garden.

Edit to add : I got it replaced with a universal cat instead of a Toyota one.
    1 because of cost and 2 because I would've been too afraid that they'd just steal the Toyota one again which happened to someone I know

Thanks might price this. Although my husband thinks now if we get a lock it might make thieves think that there's a Toyota cat coverter under it and be more inclined to cut it. What do you think?
    Newlands cross place funnily enough quoted me €350 for one fitted about 2 weeks ago.
    Have ordered window stickers stating that it's a non Toyota catalytic converter. For all the good it will probably do...

I looked into a tilt sensor alarm today but I was told because I have a factory alarm that I'd need a whole new alarm system just to get the tilt sensor which is near enough 350 which is the same price as the lock.

I always parked with bonnet facing in between 2 cars in shopping centres. In the end they got me at my house.
    I expected it to happen in a shopping centre but not at my garden

The only sign that might stop them would be one that read:

" IF YOU WANT THE CAT ON THIS CAR, YOU ARE TOO LATE. IT WAS STOLEN BY THIEVING SCUMBAGS LAST WEEK SO I HAVE REMAPPED IT TO RUN WITHOUT ANY CAT"
    Best protection is a steel plate covering the cat to make it extremely difficult to remove. If I had a make / model that was very attractive for these scumbags, that's what I would do.

jmreire wrote: »
    The only sign that might stop them would be one that read:

" IF YOU WANT THE CAT ON THIS CAR, YOU ARE TOO LATE. IT WAS STOLEN BY THIEVING SCUMBAGS LAST WEEK SO I HAVE REMAPPED IT TO RUN WITHOUT ANY CAT"
    Best protection is a steel plate covering the cat to make it extremely difficult to remove. If I had a make / model that was very attractive for these scumbags, that's what I would do.

I definitely considered writing too late it's already stolen!!
    I'm going to call the place in trim tomorrow. I'm more annoyed at myself for not being more proactive with this. I kept putting it off due to the cost but sure its after costing us almost 600 now.

I'm wondering where the heat would escape from looking at this pic?
    I would get a lock if you are in a position to afford one because I didn't and am kicking myself now. Although garda didn't think it would do much to deter them if they really wanted it.
    Just checked my email it was €380 the place at Newlands quoted me not €350

• Advertisement

I definitely considered writing too late it's already stolen!!
    I'm going to call the place in trim tomorrow. I'm more annoyed at myself for not being more proactive with this. I kept putting it off due to the cost but sure its after costing us almost 600 now.

You are right !!! It's definitely a case of lightening striking twice in the same place ( or even more...)
    what make of car is it? ( sorry if you have mentioned it already ) The only preference that I would have is that the plate be bolted rather than welded to the chassis / floor, and the bolts used would not be hexagon headed, but splined or torx type, and they would be countersunk into the metal, where the grinder cannot get at them easily. Good Luck with it, and let us know how it works out for you, and some pic's of the finished product, OK? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Most of them can't read to be honest and a sign won't stop these backstards

You are right !!! It's definitely a case of lightening striking twice in the same place ( or even more...)
    what make of car is it? ( sorry if you have mentioned it already ) The only preference that I would have is that the plate be bolted rather than welded to the chassis / floor, and the bolts used would not be hexagon headed, but splined or torx type, and they would be countersunk into the metal, where the grinder cannot get at them easily. Good Luck with it, and let us know how it works out for you, and some pic's of the finished product, OK? Thanks

It's a 2nd gen prius. An 06. Have to say I love it but if its targeted again I might have to reluctantly change it.

I'll keep it updated. The exhaust place that fixed mine told my husband not to bother with a lock that any scumbag who knows what they're looking for will know ours isn't worth anything now.
    But I think I would feel better with a lock. On the other side my husband thinks a lock would make them think that there's a good Toyota cat behind it

The exhaust place also mentioned a lot of Toyota Auris being done too.
    My husband got it fixed the other day and he was one of 3 prius owners there for robbed cats by 11am..

Most of them can't read to be honest and a sign won't stop these backstards

Good point. I'm hoping if they jack it up again they'll fcuk off once they see its a universal one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Do we know why Prius are the main target for the thefts?

mloc123 wrote: »

More valuable metals in the Prius Cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i've just checked my Leaf and I can't see the cat, I reckon it's been nicked!

mloc123 wrote: »

Palladium and easily accessible for the scumbags to cut off

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The speed it's done at is crazy...

Platinum and other metals that are extremely saut after

Sickens me.

Was hoping the jack would fail or they cut their hand off.....

If scrap yards were properly regulated this would be much more difficult but then I suppose they'd just ship them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This is a bit long winded but shows three different solutions.
    What he calls level 3 is just like a sump guard/skid plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyktZ0T33HY&feature=emb_rel_end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Isambard wrote: »
    i've just checked my Leaf and I can't see the cat, I reckon it's been nicked!

You're so amazeballs and we're so sh!t.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    This is a bit long winded but shows three different solutions.
    What he calls level 3 is just like a sump guard/skid plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyktZ0T33HY&feature=emb_rel_end

I like the bit about replacing the two bolts with torx, that would work, that is if they have to remove it from the manifold because they can't get a grinder in there to cut it. And so would welding a rod along the length of it to stop the plumbers cutters from working, but I think that our scumbags would only use a 4" angle grinder,,,and to hell with the noise for the short time it takes to make the cut.
    The metal guard ( and the one they show in the video is custom made ) is good too, but it's too light. The grinder would make short work of it. On the other hand, if it was made of 1/8" sheeting, that would be a different story. That would definitely make them look for a softer target.
    There is another video on the same subject, basically the same ideas as above, but instead of a plate, the fix a metal iron bar cage over the cat. Looks much stronger than the plate, but the grinder would make even shorter work of that. But, again, it would add to the time element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

You would be a while cutting through a rebar frame. A good while.

My husband rang garage in Trim. Nice fella said they do the cover for €350. Although he said in his experience spurious cats are very rarely if ever get robbed. So have to decide if it's with getting one now that the horse has already bolted

pablo128 wrote: »
    You would be a while cutting through a rebar frame. A good while.

Anything that delay's the thieving scum is a good thing..if rebar takes them a bit longer, well and good. I've cut rebar myself, and never had any special difficulty's with it. But that was out in the open, and with plenty of space to maneuver. Trying to cut while lying on your back in the limited space underneath a car would be a horse of a different color entirely. I think that some manufacturers are now relocating the CAT to make it more difficult to remove, so at least thats a move in the right direction. CAT security was never much thought about in the design stage really, but when it is affecting sales, that will get their attention pretty quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Anything that delay's the thieving scum is a good thing..if rebar takes them a bit longer, well and good. I've cut rebar myself, and never had any special difficulty's with it. But that was out in the open, and with plenty of space to maneuver. Trying to cut while lying on your back in the limited space underneath a car would be a horse of a different color entirely. I think that some manufacturers are now relocating the CAT to make it more difficult to remove, so at least thats a move in the right direction. CAT security was never much thought about in the design stage really, but when it is affecting sales, that will get their attention pretty quick.

If you made it so that they had to do 6 cuts through rebar before they get to the cat, I think that would do the trick. I could think of a simple frame off the top of my head which would require at least 6 cuts through rebar.

1 flat bar each side bolted to the body, 3 semi circles of bar from side to side, and 2 bars going length ways and bent up around the cat at each end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

pablo128 wrote: »
    If you made it so that they had to do 6 cuts through rebar before they get to the cat, I think that would do the trick. I could think of a simple frame off the top of my head which would require at least 6 cuts through rebar.

1 flat bar each side bolted to the body, 3 semi circles of bar from side to side, and 2 bars going length ways and bent up around the cat at each end.

Sounds like the sort of thing that would make them move on.
    Not too heavy either and cheap to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You forget who we are dealing with here. Any device like a lock or covering plate or rebar cage will be cut off quicker than you can say catalytic converter. And if they cannot cut it off they will tie a chain or strap around it and onto the hitch of the Hi-Ace and yank the whole exhaust system clean off of your car and go off down the road with it trailing after them until they find a quiet spot to pull in and cut the cat out of it.

Meanwhile, you're car will be left there pulled asunder with many thousands of € in damage at best and wrote off at worst.
    It would be better to just let the cat as is so it can be removed easily without causing huge damage. Because they will take it either way, I assure you.

When did a lock ever stop the pavees from taking anything?

And no point telling the Gardai. What do you think the Guards are going to do? Stop them?

Manufactures hiding away cats more into the vehicles recesses will only result in more severe damage and write offs as thieves will increasingly adopt the "yank the whole thing apart with a tow chain" approach.

I have seen hitch locked and wheel locked Ifor Williams trailers that the owners thought were safe as houses robbed in seconds by pulling away with a tow chain around the drawbar. Wheel lock/clamp just hauled along the road with sparks and tyre smoke spewing from it.
    Once back at the site, they will just fit a replacement wheel and cut out the hitch lock and they are away it .

If they want something, they will be taking it. Security locks or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

My husband rang garage in Trim. Nice fella said they do the cover for €350. Although he said in his experience spurious cats are very rarely if ever get robbed. So have to decide if it's with getting one now that the horse has already bolted

Might have mis-remembered the quite from Autokey. If the finances allow, i'd get something fitted just for your own piece of mind, spurious cat or not, there's nothing to say they won't start targeting them.

It's a deterrent, like a locked gate or anything else, it might be enough to get them to move on from your property.

Cui bono?

Might have mis-remembered the quite from Autokey. If the finances allow, i'd get something fitted just for your own piece of mind, spurious cat or not, there's nothing to say they won't start targeting them.

It's a deterrent, like a locked gate or anything else, it might be enough to get them to move on from your property.

I think I am going to get something. Just trying to decide between the cat cover (from garage you mentioned) or an alarm with a tilt sensor. They are both coming in the same price wise and I can only afford one or the other at the minute.
    The guy in the garage in Trim said he seen some of the Catlocks and didn't think they were much use. I don't think he was just saying that for business either because he did say that it would be very unlikely someone would try steal my aftermarket cat but if we really wanted the cover they'd do it.
    I'm not sure how long the aftermarket cat would last and I suppose then I'd have the get the cover removed if I needed to replace it (if I still had the car then)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

The alarm probably isn't much use either. If they don't care about making noise cutting a cat they won't care about a blaring alarm

Advertisement