Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lock for catalytic converter.

Options
  • 22-10-2019 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

With the rise of catalytic converter thefts in toyotas, does anyone know where I can buy a lock for one?

Can't seem to find anywhere that sells them so far.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

With the rise of catalytic converter thefts in toyotas, does anyone know where I can buy a lock for one?

Thanks

If they can cut the cat out of the car they would have no problem cutting any sort of lock off I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Fairly pointless to "lock it" as they just cut the cat out anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

Google cat clamp. Pricey but would be a deterrant.

http://www.catsafe.org.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I think I read somewhere that Toyota themselves supply something to prevent theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Beat them at their own game! Bring 2000s back! Take the cat out yourself and put it back in when you need to go for nct!

• Advertisement

It also depends on the model of Toyota. What car have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

pablo128 wrote: »
    It also depends on the model of Toyota. What car have you got?

Prius 2nd gen.

Thanks, have heard if they want it bad enough they will take the extra time to cut through the lock. Would hope it would be a deterrent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Best option would be to get onto the guberment and get it regulated....

Certain ethnic minorities are big into this....

It use to be easy targets such as vans and 4x4 for height but they will squeeze in for the good stuff off the hybrids too.

Irish rail, ESB, eir etc are all targets to for services and it causes huge issues.

Yeah it's gone crazy. My friends was stolen recently. Guards said she was one of many reported that week. She has to get a new car because Toyota told her they have a backlog and she'd be waiting months for a new one

Yeah it's gone crazy. My friends was stolen recently. Guards said she was one of many reported that week. She has to get a new car because Toyota told her they have a backlog and she'd be waiting months for a new one

They are available through exhaust centres and motor factors. You don't have to go to Toyota for a catalytic converter.

• Advertisement

Wonder why they can't go into the sites and do them.

Yup the usual suspects I'd say
    Edit: never mind, picked that up wrong I think 😂

They are available through exhaust centres and motor factors. You don't have to go to Toyota for a catalytic converter.

That's what I thought but she said she tried a few places and didn't have much luck

That's what I thought but she said she tried a few places and didn't have much luck

Try few breaker yards, try all exhaust repair places.

I'd be ringing around.

Just hoping mine escapes it. Don't live in the best area for it

I would try a few more. They are definitely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I wonder could you connect the hybrid battery to the exhaust or would it be causing more damage...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Interslice wrote: »
    I wonder could you connect the hybrid battery to the exhaust or would it be causing more damage...

Fit a very loud motion sensing alarm to your car and purchase a large menacing weapon, that's about all that may deter them should you catch them in the act, and maybe a big angry dog.

Guards will be able to do damn all about it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,180 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They sometimes do but it normally requires the ERU, public order unit, local Gardai and a helicopter gunship hovering above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Best option would be to get onto the guberment and get it regulated....

Certain ethnic minorities are big into this....

It use to be easy targets such as vans and 4x4 for height but they will squeeze in for the good stuff off the hybrids too.

Irish rail, ESB, eir etc are all targets to for services and it causes huge issues.

What are they doing with them? I assume its to sell on again but where are they being sold?

• Advertisement

What are they doing with them? I assume its to sell on again but where are they being sold?

I heard they're being sold abroad but not really sure. Guards are saying get the engraved but whoever is buying them obviously knows they're stolen anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It to sell the rare metals contained within so they are not being sold on as car parts.

Precious metals inside are really really sought after.

I came across a site called catstrap.net which claims to be resistant to cutting. They are expensive though and you wouldn't know how much extra customs would whack on top of that

https://youtu.be/4twiRnYVvVY

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Thanks

I didn't know that this was a thing till a family members 12 year old Honda Jass got done. Garage owner tells me that they can fetch up to 700 scrap value for some of the realy old ones

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Are the catalytic converters worth the same as the converters from the other thread?

:p

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I didn't know that this was a thing till a family members 12 year old Honda Jass got done. Garage owner tells me that they can fetch up to 700 scrap value for some of the realy old ones

Yeah it's crazy. Seem to be hearing of them being done everywhere now.
    Apparently the prius and one of the Ford hybrids are being done alot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I think I read somewhere that Toyota themselves supply something to prevent theft.

Toyota GB do sell "Catloc" devices for various models, I asked Toyota Ireland about this and they do not.

But it might be worth enquiring them about it - if enough people say something then they might do something about it:

customerservice@toyota.ie

I installed a dashcam (front and rear) with permanent wiring and parking mode, as a result of recent thefts near work. I can't imagine someone could easily get to the side of the car without passing the front or rear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I came across a site called catstrap.net which claims to be resistant to cutting. They are expensive though and you wouldn't know how much extra customs would whack on top of that

https://youtu.be/4twiRnYVvVY

Doesn't matter, locks, deterrents are futile. The people don't give a crap and are pretty much a law unto themselves. If they can't unbolt the cat they will cut it out. If they cannot cut it out do to lock devices, they will have no problem hooking a tow-chain onto it and onto the back of their Transit or Dmax and then pulling the whole exhaust off of the car, possibly doing many thousands worth of damage or even writing off the car.
    I've seen this kinda thing before, if a gate or shed door is locked and can't be opened, it will just be ram raided and demolished. Or if a hitch lock on a trailer can't be defeated it will be just pulled away with a short chain. Even if a wheel clamp is on the trailer it will just be driven away with the clamp tearing along the road.

These people don't give a shít.

If you are in a high theft area it might be better just to leave the cat unprotected and take the chance, or put in a bad cat and keep your good one safe for NCT time. The above alternative of having the whole exhaust wrenched from your car by a transit and tow chain could end up costing you an awful lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

would it be worth wrapping the pipes and the cat in razor wire.

Would at least make them thing "wtf is this" move on to the next one

Advertisement