Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a Student Bank Account

Options
  • 02-08-2019 7:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭

I'm technically a student until the end of this month. Is there any way I can set up a new student bank account during this time?

I remember during the final year of my undergraduate degree, for some reason I ended up switching to a different AIB branch. When doing so the banker who knew I was nearly finished college, said he'd be kind and set up a new student account. I think they last four years or something, so I thought that was fantastic. Was I just incredibly lucky, or has anybody heard of such a thing? That was in 2016, so I don't know how long more that means it's going to last.

I've done a one year MSc during 2017/18 and seeing as I had to repeat one module of that, I am still technically a student. The thing is I didn't get a new student card during that repeat year, so the student card I have reads 17/18. I'd need to print out a cert of attendance to prove that I'm a student. The odd time I do go into the bank they're probably aware of my age, so I normally get the question of "you are a student though?"

Is there a way I could set up a new student account? Is it the case that being a student is enough? or will I be subject to scrutiny?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Gingy_Ste

Officially you will not be able to get another student account as you will not be a student. However, if you show a certificate of attendance that is all they normally need. They will ask how long your course is but I've never seen them ask for proof of that. So I think you can still get another one.

Most banks will only give it to you once so you were very lucky with AIB as they wouldn't give me a student account again when I went back to do my masters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

Gingy_Ste wrote: »
    Officially you will not be able to get another student account as you will not be a student. However, if you show a certificate of attendance that is all they normally need. They will ask how long your course is but I've never seen them ask for proof of that. So I think you can still get another one.

Most banks will only give it to you once so you were very lucky with AIB as they wouldn't give me a student account again when I went back to do my masters.
    Thanks,

Maybe I could change to Bank of Ireland

Advertisement