Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

There had been talk on social media of Snyman being released from his contract at the seasons end...maybe there's truth to it...must be hard for him to have spent a season in lockdown in Limerick.
    Will be interesting to see how this plays out over the coming weeks

He was back in sa for a lot of it. If after all that waiting for him last year we get like 5 mins of snyman il be a cranky boy

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

So much optimism in the build up but ultimately totally outplayed again by them. When it comes to the crunch we're still miles behind them. 10 pt defeat when it should have been 20+.So much invested in the 3 coaches but will they ever be criticised locally. I'm sure the three red kings will tell us all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Can we atleast wait for Toulouse next week before the reactionary BS starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

So much optimism in the build up but ultimately totally outplayed again by them. When it comes to the crunch we're still miles behind them. 10 pt defeat when it should have been 20+.So much invested in the 3 coaches but will they ever be criticised locally. I'm sure the three red kings will tell us all is good.

Yera I think it was just that optimism as opposed to expectations we pretty much have to play balls to the wall and they have to have an off day damn shame

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That would be false:

https://twitter.com/threeredkings/status/1375882795290128389

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

JVG is Munsters Les Kiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Nice one , he blocked me on Twitter ages ago & all I had from him was his all is rosey articles in lim post/leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Nice one , he blocked me on Twitter ages ago

I wonder why

Massive pressure on the Toulouse game now. Not just because Munster lost today, but the manner of it was galling. Had Leinster won by 25-30, you couldn't have complained.

POM looks in bother for next week. I'd bring Ahern into the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I think we are lacking a threat at 13, Chris Farrell just doesn’t seem capable of doing anything other than set up a ruck, would think it’s time to bring on Daly or French at 13 and move Farrell in to 12.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think we are lacking a threat at 13, Chris Farrell just doesn’t seem capable of doing anything other than set up a ruck, would think it’s time to bring on Daly or French at 13 and move Farrell in to 12.

The problems aren't out wide, they are very much in the tight....

Your best 10 - 15 are good enough to put any European team under pressure if they get good quick ball...

Problem is they aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The problems aren't out wide, they are very much in the tight....

Your best 10 - 15 are good enough to put any European team under pressure if they get good quick ball...

Problem is they aren't

The half backs and centres were very poor today though. The pack didn't give them much useful ball, but when they actually had the opportunity to attack they did nothing. Murray just isn't at the level required anymore and Carbery barely featured as an attacking threat. Munster had one decent attack off a good break from Coombes I think. Ball went to Joey who took the wrong option to pass to Earls who was marked by three Leinster players.

De Allende and Farrell doesn't work as a partnership imo. They're both boshers and neither seem to want to pass the ball. It was easy for Leinster to swarm them and snuff out attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Sweetnam off to La Rochelle for rest of season and James Cronin could be off too

https://twitter.com/RuaidhriOC/status/1375908923270701058?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Big chance for Sweets, hopefully he hits the ground running for La Rochelle

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

After yet another below-par performance in a semi final and/or final, one has to ask what appreciable difference Rowntree and especially Larkham have brought to the side.

Using Killer and Coombes as human battering rams hardly counts as innovation.

Sad fact is we are miles away from being considered legitimate contenders for silverware

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

After yet another below-par performance in a semi final and/or final, one has to ask what appreciable difference Rowntree and especially Larkham have brought to the side.

Using Killer and Coombes as human battering rams hardly counts as innovation.

Sad fact is we are miles away from being considered legitimate contenders for silverware

Larkham was getting the side to try play better brand but you can do little with your backs if your front 5 isnt good enough and Munster's isnt.
    Cronin is good when he doesnt give away stupid penalties but he does that far too much. too many of front 5 simply arent good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Larkham seems to get the league team playing well and building confidence only for the internationals to return, the game plan changed and its all thrown out the window. For whatever reason.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

razorblunt wrote: »
    Larkham seems to get the league team playing well and building confidence only for the internationals to return, the game plan changed and its all thrown out the window. For whatever reason.

I would have though the reason was obvious...

The teams the "league team" plays are pretty piss poor.

And I rate larkham... JVG is a pretender and has absolutely reached his celling

Happy for Sweetnam. Unfortunate with a few injuries and younger players in Coombes, Daly and Nash have stepped up.
    That leaves only a few senior players whose futures haven't reported on yet: Marshall, Barron and Fineen Wycherley.

If Munster are signing this guy, then Snyman isn't coming back. No way they'd be allowed both.

If Snyman leaves without getting a proper season with Munster I'll be gutted, the go forward he brings would be a significant new dimension to the Munster pack.
    Massive pressure on the Toulouse game now.

Read in another thread that Toulouse lost at home to Montpellier this evening and didn't use any of their bench. That would indicate to me that they are also targeting this fixture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Read in another thread that Toulouse lost at home to Montpellier this evening and didn't use any of their bench. That would indicate to me that they are also targeting this fixture.

According to BBC, they used all of their bench anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The Munster side is either being poorly coached or the players are not that good. Stunning effort by Munster. Really pisspoor and they really were outfought, outmatched and outpashuned.
    Coombes was sensational! He really is a fine player. He should be capped soon enough. I am very excited with the prospect of him playing for Ireland. But other than him, nobody else stood out for Munster. Murray again subpar, PIM outplayed by VDF and Scannell looks way below the standard of Kelleher. Except for some spells for Kleyn , Munster were 2nd best.
    Leinster were not great either, tbf. They left a lot of points out there and credit to Munsters defense. The point is probably that Munster have not made gains with VanGrann. If they lose next weekend he should be dispatched asap. The level of talent at their disposal, compared to that effort, really is astonishing.
    Congrats to jj. Off to Clermont. Good move for him. Sweetnam on loan to LAR and Cronin apparently following them to France. With Holland retiring and Stander leaving that's a good chunk of the squad gone. TOD is most likely history too.
    A loss next week and the branch must move on on this coaching ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Munster's fundamental problem remains unchanged : not enough home grown players of the required standard. The project player route is done and picking up interprovincial transfers is by definition always going to leave you in second place. So now what?

Coombes looks the real deal, I know there's a lot of excitement about Ahern and Casey, but then...?

I know that not every province can have the conveyor belt that Leinster have, but it's nearly ten years since Munster last had someone break through into the national XV.

I don't know what the solution is, but that's the problem. Until that gets fixed, real progress is unlikely.

Also, we got sold a pup with DDA. Yesterday was crying out for someone big and physical to drag Munster back into it and he was a non-entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Eh no, quite the opposite in fact regarding your trk comment. He was quite downbeat after that performance and called for a complete refresh in the pack, front 5 in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Sad state of affairs when you consider even 10 years ago you would have had 5 or 6 Munster players as automatic selection in an Irish Team, now that number is down to just one Keith Earls o whose age is against him, and only 1 younger player is showing international standard Coombes. Did the Munster sit on their laurels so to speak during a period when they should have been going all-out to promote underage and acadamy

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Also, we got sold a pup with DDA. Yesterday was crying out for someone big and physical to drag Munster back into it and he was a non-entity.

Christ the management have a lot to answer for when DDA is called a pup and both DDA and farrell are described as boshers!

Munster's fundamental problem remains unchanged : not enough home grown players of the required standard. The project player route is done and picking up interprovincial transfers is by definition always going to leave you in second place. So now what?

Coombes looks the real deal, I know there's a lot of excitement about Ahern and Casey, but then...?

I know that not every province can have the conveyor belt that Leinster have, but it's nearly ten years since Munster last had someone break through into the national XV.

I don't know what the solution is, but that's the problem. Until that gets fixed, real progress is unlikely.

The conveyor belt at Munster right now is the strongest it's been. We're just a year or so away from it having an impact I think. It's not just Casey and Ahern.

As discussed previously, a lot of Munster produced players who might have been internationals ended up injured with their development ruined. It's not true either that Munster have had nobody break through to Ireland in the last 10.

The conveyor belt at Munster right now is the strongest it's been. We're just a year or so away from it having an impact I think. It's not just Casey and Ahern.

As discussed previously, a lot of Munster produced players who might have been internationals ended up injured with their development ruined. It's not true either that Munster have had nobody break through to Ireland in the last 10.

I really hope you're right and obviously you know a lot more about it than me.

What I meant about the Ireland team was someone establishing themselves in the first choice XV: unless I'm missing someone obvious that was POM who came through in 2012?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Tend to agree. This guy arrived as the best 12 in the world with a RWC medal in his pocket. Whilst his performances haven't been poor, there's no way they've been anything close to what he's capable of. He looked like he was in second gear last night when he had the ball in hand.

The updated defensive stats make grim reading for himself and Farrell this morning. Leinster were good but there was no incredible intricacy in what they were doing.

The thing is, if he leaves, the cupboard at centre is incredibly bare. There's very little behind the three guys that were in the 23 last night.

Advertisement