Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netatmo Smart Thermostat for €99 delivered

Options
  • 26-09-2016 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Received email this morning offering discount on the Netatmo thermostat when purchased from Netatmo directly.
    Shop link here:
    https://shop.netatmo.com/eur_en/thermostat-promo.html

Use promo code PROMO99 at the checkout for discount to be applied. Normal price from Netatmo directly is €179.

One caveat is that this version on sale is NOT Apple Homekit compatible. It works fine using iPhone and Android apps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Anyone know what the Netatmo is like compared to the Tado, Climote and Nest etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

if you are looking for multiple zones, or you want to control hot water, this isn't for you.

But, if you have, say, a combi boiler (or don't care about warming up the water) and are OK with a single zone, it's ace.

If your home was built before 2006 and you live in Cork or Dublin, this is a better deal:
    https://www.energia.ie/energy-services/free-netatmo-with-every-gas-boiler-service-%E2%82%AC79

Boiler service + Netatmo + installation for €85. You don't have to be with Energia to get it.

We got this done last year - our apartment didn't have a thermostat so we no longer have to go in the hot press to boost the heating on - and have found it great. I can even turn on the heating using my Pebble smartwatch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Zilog wrote: »
    Received email this morning offering discount on the Netatmo thermostat when purchased from Netatmo directly.

Use promo code PROMO99 at the checkout for discount to be applied. Normal price from Netatmo directly is €179.

One caveat is that this version on sale is NOT Apple Homekit compatible. It works fine using iPhone and Android apps.

Not working anymore! :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

nephster wrote: »
    If your home was built before 2006 and you live in Cork or Dublin, this is a better deal:
    https://www.energia.ie/energy-services/free-netatmo-with-every-gas-boiler-service-%E2%82%AC79

Boiler service + Netatmo + installation for €85. You don't have to be with Energia to get it.

Do you know if the Thermostat that Energia supply with this deal is the version that supports Apple Homekit?

Yeah this promo code is seems to have expired now, pity...

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Do you know if the Thermostat that Energia supply with this deal is the version that supports Apple Homekit?

Considering it was only released at the start of the month, I wouldn't bet on it, if they still have old stock.
    Presumably the OP's deal was Netatmo using up the old stock in their own warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Considering it was only released at the start of the month, I wouldn't bet on it, if they still have old stock.
    Presumably the OP's deal was Netatmo using up the old stock in their own warehouse.
    Definitely using up old stock. The email expressly said "Discontinued Items" and "Thermostats not compatible with Apple Homekit.". However, they still work from apps.
    I believe Homekit compatibility requires the use of another, or different, chipset.

Surprised to hear not working now, offer supposed to be valid until October 15th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Any difference between the previous model and the one with the homekit support, apart from that? I've been using the previous model that we got as part of the Energia deal and it's great, but will soon be looking for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Sorry for the confusion folks, figured it out!

Use the following link to get the deal:
    https://shop.netatmo.com/eur_en/thermostat-promo.html

"PROMO99" should then work.

I see the 'normal' shop link on Netatmo homepage leads to the Homekit compatible version. The one in the above link clearly is not compatible, so moving old stock for sure.

I like the look of their new radiator thermostats, they need the thermostat itself though to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

if you are looking for multiple zones, or you want to control hot water, this isn't for you.

But, if you have, say, a combi boiler (or don't care about warming up the water) and are OK with a single zone, it's ace.

We got this done last year - our apartment didn't have a thermostat so we no longer have to go in the hot press to boost the heating on - and have found it great. I can even turn on the heating using my Pebble smartwatch :)

In my house, when I turn on the heating then all the rads come on together. With this, can I turn it on and off with my phone?

Cheers

Looking at the install video for the netatmo it seems to be different to the tado and nest as you seem to have to connect it to the actual boiler instead of replacing your existing thermostat.

Don't think that will work for me as I already have 3 zones and a timer control system with thermostats so hooking in the netatmo seems to only work if you have one zone...

Del007 wrote: »
    In my house, when I turn on the heating then all the rads come on together. With this, can I turn it on and off with my phone?

Cheers

Yes. The "proper" way to use this is to set up what temp you want your house to be every day using the app or website. It will kick in when the temperature goes below a certain level, until it warms up to the temp you've set. Equally, though, can just flick the heat on using your phone if you're a bit chilly on the way home and want to hug the radiators :)

reni10 wrote: »
    Looking at the install video for the netatmo it seems to be different to the tado and nest as you seem to have to connect it to the actual boiler instead of replacing your existing thermostat.

Don't think that will work for me as I already have 3 zones and a timer control system with thermostats so hooking in the netatmo seems to only work if you have one zone...

With our setup we set the existing thermostat to max and replaced the analogue timer connected to the boiler with the base station. You can then move the Netatmo thermostat around wherever you want. Only one zone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

A Noob Q as I can't quite follow faq. I have an existing wired ON/Off immersion style switch attached to boiler.

Can I replace this with the relay and place Netatmo thermostat somewhere else in house? Tks.

Already answered I believe!
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    With our setup we set the existing thermostat to max and replaced the analogue timer connected to the boiler with the base station. You can then move the Netatmo thermostat around wherever you want. Only one zone though.

Can you give a link to what sort of switch or timer you currently have?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Can you give a link to what sort of switch or timer you currently have?

http://cliffords.ie/APT24HourImmersionHeaterControllerTimerIMM24-P641.html

Similar to what we had. That gets replaced by the base unit and you can put or move around the new thermostat wherever you want throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Are any of these devices stand alone... As in i see the Climote has a yearly charge built into it...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    Are any of these devices stand alone... As in i see the Climote has a yearly charge built into it...

Netatmo is completely standalone, no yearly charge, etc.

And BTW it can also be physically controlled on the device itself, just in case your internet connection is down. Very important IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

I bought one of these a while back, here's my take on it.

Edit, I have a Netatmo weather station as well.
    Pic below is a sample of the types of stats it can generate.

397906.png

397907.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

397906.png

397907.png

Nest reports are equally as bad . I wish that they used heating degree days

ted1 wrote: »
    Nest reports are equally as bad . I wish that they used heating degree days

They have an open API with all data extractable, so you could probably calculate it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

You need a MPRN to sign up for this but I can only find my GPRN on my bill. Any advice? Im with electric Ireland. Read online thats its on bill but can only see the 7 digit GPRN as opposed to 11 digit MPRN

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

richy wrote: »
    You need a MPRN to sign up for this but I can only find my GPRN on my bill. Any advice? Im with electric Ireland. Read online thats its on bill but can only see the 7 digit GPRN as opposed to 11 digit MPRN

MPRN is on you electric bill, GPRN is on your gas bill

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Cheers Ted. Im an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Does the weather station influence the thermostat at all ? e.g. if you have your heat timed to come on at 7pm and it's been raining or an unseasonably warmer cold day, it'll come on earlier or later?

OU812 wrote: »
    Does the weather station influence the thermostat at all ? e.g. if you have your heat timed to come on at 7pm and it's been raining or an unseasonably warmer cold day, it'll come on earlier or later?

If you have it in auto mode it takes the weather station data until account when calculating how long it will take to heat your house. It will turn the heating on earlier if needed so that the house is at the desired temperature at the time you've set.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

That's brilliant. Thanks. I've been looking at thermostats for a while and couldn't make up my mind which to go for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Quick (possibly silly) question: You mention if you don't care about the hot water, my boiler heats the hot water whenever it is on. Does the Nest for example have features that controls that also that the netamato wouldn't? Can the nest also control zones, i.e heat upstairs and not downstairs or does it depend on your radiator setup?

Great deal link by the way, very interested!

Advertisement