Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnstown house hotel

Options
  • 06-09-2011 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi,

We are looking to book our wedding and I was wondering if anybody has been to a wedding or had their wedding in Johnstown house? It looks really nice but would be good to here from someone who has been there...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We have a provisional booking there for ours , jsut waiting for them to get back to us with the paper work.

I have not been to a wedding there but the staff and food are always excellent when we go in so this made the decision for us!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Staff were very good on the day and I really liked the venue, food was great and plenty of places inside and out to take pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I've worked there a good few times and would you be taking the full or half room ??

Just be aware if its the half that they can have 2 weddings on the same day right beside each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭trudub

I've worked there a good few times and would you be taking the full or half room ??

Just be aware if its the half that they can have 2 weddings on the same day right beside each other.

That was a concern we had but the manager assured us that we would be the only wedding. If we do go with them I think ill have it in the contract. Very impressed wit it so far though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Also be aware that if there are two weddings on the same day they give priority to the one in the main room including use of the garden for photos!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They told us that they have a 1 wedding a day policy.

They must have changed policy recently because I've worked there with two weddings on same day. I can imagine trying to organise two on same day must be some headache so prob makes sense to just have one.

Ballyman wrote: »
    They must have changed policy recently because I've worked there with two weddings on same day. I can imagine trying to organise two on same day must be some headache so prob makes sense to just have one.

I'd say the policy was changed for them with the level of weddings dropping:D

I have seen 2 weddings there and one group came in the events centre door and one came in the main door but it did get messy later in the evening.

Also Ballyman, when you say main room ?? The room cab be split in 2 and weddings are right beside each other, are you on about another smaller wedding in the main house ?

The Bridge House in Tullamore has had 2 weddings a day for years and they stagger the arrival of the couples by about an hr as they only have the main door. Now since the new room has been done i don't know if that has changed.

Also Ballyman, when you say main room ?? The room cab be split in 2 and weddings are right beside each other, are you on about another smaller wedding in the main house ?
    Yea, the wedding I was doing was in the main house. We weren't allowed use the back garden area for photos as the main wedding had priority on that.

Ballyman wrote: »
    Yea, the wedding I was doing was in the main house. We weren't allowed use the back garden area for photos as the main wedding had priority on that.

Cheers for the response, when did you have your wedding?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

A lot of venues that had previously had two weddings on the day have dropped back to only one (because of volume) and then said it was a policy change to benifit the Bride

Borderfox wrote: »
    A lot of venues that had previously had two weddings on the day have dropped back to only one (because of volume) and then said it was a policy change to benifit the Bride

and groom;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 windlin

Hi all,

Booked the middle package at Johnstown and all we could get over the advertised deal was two free rooms just wondering has anyone got more out of them. We are both rubbish at haggleing so just wouldn't mind knowing what i could get with a bit more pushing.

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Windlin - PM-ing you now!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭razor12345

Hi Shvers

Could you send me the same pm you sent to Windlin as well, were the same position as him and now Im curious

Cheers

and me too please:)

I love Johnstown House and we have it booked for 2013.

windlin wrote: »
    Hi all,

Booked the middle package at Johnstown and all we could get over the advertised deal was two free rooms just wondering has anyone got more out of them. We are both rubbish at haggleing so just wouldn't mind knowing what i could get with a bit more pushing.

Thanks in advance

Did you manage to get other extras thrown in for the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Wow, that place looks lovely, and seems great value for what is included!
    Could you send me that PM too Shivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 windlin

Moonbeam, no other extras for us but may have to ask for something cause anyone who i talk to seems to get more extras from their hotels and don't want to be p1ssed off on the day that i never asked.

Then again maybe it could be just Johnstown give more in the first place.

Also if anyone from Johnstown is reading this (liliq maybe) please don't be annoyed it is just I'm new to the wedding game as i'd guess are most people who would like to know similar infromation so please understand this is not an anti-hotel movement just an information sharing exercise

windlin wrote: »
    Moonbeam, no other extras for us but may have to ask for something cause anyone who i talk to seems to get more extras from their hotels and don't want to be p1ssed off on the day that i never asked.

Then again maybe it could be just Johnstown give more in the first place.

Also if anyone from Johnstown is reading this (liliq maybe) please don't be annoyed it is just I'm new to the wedding game as i'd guess are most people who would like to know similar infromation so please understand this is not an anti-hotel movement just an information sharing exercise

hi Windlin, can you send on the pm too please!

• Advertisement

Windlin- I'm in the same boat as you! New to this game and trying to figure out the rules! ;) haha. Don't want to be over demanding of venues etc, but want to get the best value possible for our v. limited budget!

Windlin- I'm in the same boat as you! New to this game and trying to figure out the rules! ;) haha. Don't want to be over demanding of venues etc, but want to get the best value possible for our v. limited budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kittyo

Hi Shvers - we have Johnstown booked for 2012 - could you pm me the extras you negotiated too if you don't mind? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Why are people so coy about the details of the deals?

The more we share prices that hotels are prepared to offer things for, the better the prices will be across the board.

I'm absolutely convinced the different packages offered by the hotels are an attempt to obfuscate their product offerings to deter straight-forward price comparison of venues.

I'll just post it publicly, no big deal :)

We are on the cheaper package €59pp - discounted 10% so now €53.10pp

Extra's negotiated were prosecco on arrival instead of punch, evening food included, 5 complimentary bedrooms and a change in the main course options.
    I was happy with that as their packages are pretty comprehensive and there is not a whole lot more you could add to it.

I have a friend who is looking at booking the Westgrove in Clane and their package is almost identical to JHH but they also include uplighters, a fairylight backdrop and an ice sculpture (!) for €65pp. They are probably not worth the extra money in fairness. I am booking those things separately (not the ice sculpture) and they would be cheaper than the cost of adding them into a package.

Also I have found JHH good to deal with and I am happy with them.

thank shivers, when are you booked for? (2012 or 2013)

trudub wrote: »
    thank shivers, when are you booked for? (2012 or 2013)

2012 - 2 months time!

Invitations posted today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭razor12345

Hi Shivers

Can you pm the details of where your getting the uplighters and fairlights and the cost, would really like to do something with the dividing wall.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Shivers26 wrote: »
    I'll just post it publicly, no big deal :)

We are on the cheaper package €59pp - discounted 10% so now €53.10pp

Extra's negotiated were prosecco on arrival instead of punch, evening food included, 5 complimentary bedrooms and a change in the main course options.
    I was happy with that as their packages are pretty comprehensive and there is not a whole lot more you could add to it.

I have a friend who is looking at booking the Westgrove in Clane and their package is almost identical to JHH but they also include uplighters, a fairylight backdrop and an ice sculpture (!) for €65pp. They are probably not worth the extra money in fairness. I am booking those things separately (not the ice sculpture) and they would be cheaper than the cost of adding them into a package.

Also I have found JHH good to deal with and I am happy with them.

Mind me asking if the westgrove charged a cheaper price per head without those extras. These are fixed costs, they dont vary depending on how many people are at a function.

I mean if they said its 60e per head plus 500e for the extras you'd know where you stand. Maybe the only package they have is 65e and they throw in the extras anyway.

• Advertisement

razor12345 wrote: »
    Hi Shivers

Can you pm the details of where your getting the uplighters and fairlights and the cost, would really like to do something with the dividing wall.

Thanks

Uplighters from uplighters.ie and they are costing €250 for the whole room. They will do deals if you book your DJ with Pro DJs. These also have a fairylight backdrop available for hire now so they would probably do you a good deal.

Fairylight Backdrop is from Michael Costello in Flower Petals in Edenderry. The backdrop is costing €325 but it is most definitely the nicest one I have ever seen. He is also our florist and flower prices were extremely reasonable.
    Mind me asking if the westgrove charged a cheaper price per head without those extras. These are fixed costs, they dont vary depending on how many people are at a function.

I mean if they said its 60e per head plus 500e for the extras you'd know where you stand. Maybe the only package they have is 65e and they throw in the extras anyway.

I can't comment on Westgroves prices as it is my friend who is going there. I think she said €65pp and the extras were included in that package price. She got them to take out things like uplighters and ice sculpture and added more food and wine and the price remained the same. She said they were very nice to deal with so if you were interested, make an appointment and go in for a meeting and show around.

Advertisement