Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Again, (again, again) it begins... (SU Elections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Welfare Officer

Daire McNab

Really? The guy who drew that godawful "Adolf and Mel" cartoon for the Record, included veiled and not-so-veiled personal attacks in his "Hot/Not" column and basically threw a written hissy fit when his "humour" was criticised is running for Welfare?! Surely that, of all positions, is one that requires you to not be a sorry waste of a human being?

Well, at least this year the voting part will be easy; I've already got my candidate picked in 4 of the 5 races. SU elections are a lot simpler when you know 75% of the hacks personally and the rest by reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Ibid wrote:
    I really should be a journalist.
    Scary Mary.
    stargal wrote:
    That's Conal Campbell? He was at my table at the CSC awards one year and was possibly the rudest and most obnoxious person I've ever met in Trinity. Good luck to him trying to sell himself to the student body. /Roffles to self
    I'll admit I only listened in to the end of your exchanges (I was there too!), but you didn't exactly come across as all sweetness and light, either. Although I do not blame you. I think I might get banned if I truly express how I feel about the guy.
    Ibid is this guy a friend of yours? I know I've spoken to him a few times but can't remember where/when
    He used to be heavily invlolved in YFG and the Hist. You've most likely missed his transformation into a hunk (as in a real hunk, not the ibid or original psycho wannabe-hunk). His most noticeable features are his 'guns'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

xebec wrote:
    Nice work Ibid, who needs manifestoes when we've got BEBO!
    It's not looks that count, it's what on the bebo that really matters.
    stargal wrote:
    Ibid is this guy a friend of yours? I know I've spoken to him a few times but can't remember where/when
    Aye, I'm friends with Seán. He is truly a man of epic proportions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Nice work Ibid, who needs manifestoes when we've got BEBO!

Actually, I'm much happier basing decisions on how people behave when they don't think the electorate are looking than on the face they put on in public. And in fairness, most of those manifestos say very little in the way of substantive policy or coherent thoughts, and are mostly just an excuse for a few pretty pictures and some vague politicing (wow, it's almost like a real election!). So I say go Ibid!
    He used to be heavily invlolved in YFG and the Hist.

Given that there's a GMB candidate in almost every election this year (whereas last year there was really only mcguirkj, who is eminently unelectable all on his own without any help from the Hist), is it likely to be detrimental to the success of any of them? I'm genuinely curious about this; my view of the GMB is hardly the least biased, but equally the view of it within the SU is probably skewed too far the other way. To the average student, does the fact that someone is/was a Phil/Histhead make them less electable?
    You've most likely missed his transformation into a hunk (as in a real hunk, not the ibid or original psycho wannabe-hunk). His most noticeable features are his 'guns'.

Aye, 'tis truly impressive. I've never seen someone put on 6 stone in weight over the course of one summer purely in their upper body muscles before. Fair play to him, though.
    I think I might get banned if I truly express how I feel about the guy.

Ah, go on. Say it anyway. (not that I'm trying to get you banned here, more than this is the time, of all times, when the "no personal abuse" rule should be allowed to go a tad lax so we can express our true views of the candidates. Not that I'm trying to backseat mod either. I'm just going to stop typing now)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I'll admit I only listened in to the end of your exchanges (I was there too!), but you didn't exactly come across as all sweetness and light, either. Although I do not blame you. I think I might get banned if I truly express how I feel about the guy.

I'm not claiming that I was Miss Congeniality or anything - those weirdos picked fights with my friends and I'm damned if I'm going to sit there and watch that happen - but I was civil, didn't resort to personal attacks and tried to make a couple of jokes to lighten the mood, and that's a hell of a lot more than I can say for Conal.

B.ie, despite your loveliness on boards, if you only caught the end of the 'exchanges' then I don't think you're really in a position to call this one. You missed out on a pretty horrible tirade from Conal and his mini-me, booing people who won awards, yelling across the (tiny) table and generally being horrible to or about the people at the tables around them. It was funny in the beginning cos I thought they were just joking, but they weren't. His behaviour was entirely unacceptable.

I can't stress how obnoxious this boy was. Ugh. Horrible, horrible guy.

But anyway. Let's move on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mcguirkj

Given that there's a GMB candidate in almost every election this year (whereas last year there was really only mcguirkj, who is eminently unelectable all on his own without any help from the Hist),

Pffffft. (Semi-outraged blowing noise)

mcguirkj wrote:
    Pffffft. (Semi-outraged blowing noise)

I hear eating more brocolli can clear that right up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Donal, can my alter ego one PLEASE not be put up? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

(whereas last year there was really only mcguirkj, who is eminently unelectable all on his own without any help from the Hist),

He wasn't actually electable in the Hist either, got creamed when he ran in the Hist. Pretty much nobody in the GMB likes him.

The last real GMB person who was actually liked there to run for election was our ex-president Francis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I was at that CSC awards table too and I have to say the behaviour of some of the PDs, him included and particularly, ruined the night to a decent extent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Comhra....

Does no one else find it kind of creepy that Ibid was able to find all of those people on bebo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Comhra wrote:
    Does no one else find it kind of creepy that Ibid was able to find all of those people on bebo?
    finding people on bebo is scarily easy, they have increased security in recent times, but at one point i'd a full listing of every tcd student on there....

Andrew 83 wrote:
    I was at that CSC awards table too and I have to say the behaviour of some of the PDs, him included and particularly, ruined the night to a decent extent.

Ah no, they didn't ruin the night, just the dinner. It was grand once they went away.

So does anyone want to make any predictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭wesclark

I'm Conal Campbell

re: CSC ball '05

I made a mistake and I apologised to the FFer involved.

wesclark wrote:
    I'm Conal Campbell

What about the rest of the meal?! ;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Danger Bob wrote:
    Sabbatical Election Candidates

Hey there,

Following on from Myth's post, below are the candiates who have been nominated by ten fellow members of the Union to stand for Sabbatical Elections this year. I know this is a bit repetitive but there's a couple of extra candidates not mentioned above and you gotta keep everyone happy.

President

Andrew Byrne
    David Lorigan
    Barry Murphy
    John Tracey

Deputy President

Conal Campbell
    Sean Conway
    Its bewteen them

David Lorigan
    Neasa McGarrigle

Claire Tighe

Education Officer

David Lorigan
    Neil McGough

Bartley Rock Its between them two
    Ross Wynne

Welfare Officer

Jessica Campbell
    Una Faulkner

Raymond Healy
    David Lorigan
    Daire McNab

Ents Officer

Robert Donohue
    Barry Keane I've no idea
    David Lorigan
    Stephen Mallon
    Ed O'Riordan

Campaigning officially begins on Monday 19th February. Polling will take place on campus between 27th February and 1st March. Polling in the affiliate colleges, in D'Olier Street, in Trinity Hall and in the teaching hospitals are still to be confirmed.

wheres blanaith deeny on the welfare list?
    That welfare election looks like a Good Race, One i would have liked to take part in. ah well....

wesclark wrote:
    I'm Conal Campbell

Lol! That's hilarious - so were you just going to lurk here for the whole election campaign to see what people were saying about you, without ever revealing who you were? Quel muppetry...

Now having said that, I do appreciate you actually posting that, even if you should have done it sooner. It'd be great if everyone could acknowledge if they're a candidate or on a candidate's campaign team, so we don't get any dodgy crap going on with people dissing/singing the praises of certain people.

And by the way Conal, doesn't it bode slightly ominously that your username is that of a failed Presidential candidate? Why didn't you choose someone who'd actually won? ;)

stargal wrote:
    Lol! That's hilarious.

No wait, don't you see what he's saying? We're all to blame for this.

I broke the dam am Conal Campbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'm Conal and so's my wife

Andrew 83 wrote:
    What about the rest of the meal?! ;)

It was my first ever hack event and you and Christine weren't remotely welcoming. I realise PDs at essentially the labour youth table was an odd mix but people like Dave Morris and Carl Fox were far nicer.

• Advertisement

stargal wrote:
    Lol! That's hilarious - so were you just going to lurk here for the whole election campaign to see what people were saying about you, without ever revealing who you were? Quel muppetry...

I have a dozen(ish) posts on b.ie (half for research on an article and the other half arranging a football match) and I haven't made an attempt to 'big up' my election campaign. I'm sure every candidate will check b.ie from time to time

stargal wrote:
    Now having said that, I do appreciate you actually posting that, even if you should have done it sooner.

I posted my comment immediately after seeing the post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mcguirkj

He wasn't actually electable in the Hist either, got creamed when he ran in the Hist.

Ah, now that's just not true. I only contested one society election in my entire college career, running for Hist censor when I was in first year, which was unheard of at the time. I lost by 6-odd votes, (45-39 if memory serves), which is better than any first year who's run for an officership against a non-first year candidate before or since.

Since then, I've been very successful in Hist elections, just not as a candidate ;)

Anyway, feel free to abuse me some more if it makes you feel good.

Comhra wrote:
    I had found out where your parents lived within ten minutes of talking to you.

You'd be amazed what people will reveal to someone as innocent and hunky looking as me.

I know all.

Ibid wrote:
    I know all.

Well you know me so I can't really argue against that.

wesclark wrote:
    It was my first ever hack event and you and Christine weren't remotely welcoming. I realise PDs at essentially the labour youth table was an odd mix but people like Dave Morris and Carl Fox were far nicer.

Well there's no point dwelling on an event that took place two years ago but as far as I remember it I was just trying to have a nice relaxing time with friends and you lot were all being intentionally rude and provocative. It was very frustrating. (Part of the frustration was you lot and Dave constantly bickering!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

and now for something completely different...

Andrew 83 wrote:
    Well you know me so I can't really argue against that.
    I didn't mean know all personally. I meant it in an all information that exists has passed through me first kind of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

stargal wrote:
    I'm not claiming that I was Miss Congeniality or anything - those weirdos picked fights with my friends and I'm damned if I'm going to sit there and watch that happen - but I was civil, didn't resort to personal attacks and tried to make a couple of jokes to lighten the mood, and that's a hell of a lot more than I can say for Conal.

B.ie, despite your loveliness on boards, if you only caught the end of the 'exchanges' then I don't think you're really in a position to call this one. You missed out on a pretty horrible tirade from Conal and his mini-me, booing people who won awards, yelling across the (tiny) table and generally being horrible to or about the people at the tables around them. It was funny in the beginning cos I thought they were just joking, but they weren't. His behaviour was entirely unacceptable.

I can't stress how obnoxious this boy was. Ugh. Horrible, horrible guy.

But anyway. Let's move on.
    I really don't want to upset the thread again, but I just want to say it takes two to tango, I object to being called that creep's "mini-me", we were booing our good friends in Ógra with whom we later shared a laugh and a spin on the dance floor, I had a very enjoyable night and I got on with everyone from Labour who I spoke to and didn't offend anyone (except with my singing), and those of us (us being the PDs and Labour) who were left at the end of the night went out dancing and merry-making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭osd

Just to let people know...
    I've pulled out of the race for Education Officer.
    I would have loved to do the job but I am simply too broke.
    Best of luck to you know who.

Ross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

all information that exists has passed through me first

Ew. Fetch me the brainbleach, please.

Advertisement