Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fridge freezer compressor run-time.

• 21-02-2020 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I've just had the compressor replaced on my Samsung side-by-side. Everything seems to be working fine, but I've become paranoid over the amount of time the compressor seems to be running. It does switch off as it was silent when I came down this morning, but since then it's been humming away for at least four hours. Is that normal? I never noticed it before the breakdown/repair.
    Maybe it was always that way. The fitter has gone away for a few days, so I can't check with him.
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

It shouldn't run for that length of time once it has the temp down, call the engineer again it could be a number of things beyond diy solving such as a tiny leak in the pipes where they were welded in or slightly undercharged with Freon. if the pipes are oily where they are welded in to the compressor you definitely have a leak which needs sorting asap

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

It shouldn't run for that length of time once it has the temp down, call the engineer again it could be a number of things beyond diy solving such as a tiny leak in the pipes where they were welded in or slightly undercharged with Freon. if the pipes are oily where they are welded in to the compressor you definitely have a leak which needs sorting asap
    Thanks, I'll call him back on Monday. He did mention it was always difficult to gauge the correct amount of gas when 're-filling'
    The humming is also a little louder than I remember over the years, I'll mention that too.
    I appreciate your input, and thanks again.

tony glenn wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll call him back on Monday. He did mention it was always difficult to gauge the correct amount of gas when 're-filling'
    The humming is also a little louder than I remember over the years, I'll mention that too.
    I appreciate your input, and thanks again.
    Update on the excessive (?) Compressor run-time..... there's still a quiet but noticeable humming from the fridge freezer more often than not, in as much as I actually notice when it's silent. The fitter returned a couple of weeks ago and added a little more gas, and all seems to be working ok, both temps ok. I'm not sure if it's the compressor or the fan or the de-frost cycle that's humming. Out of curiosity, twice I switched off at the mains for ten seconds, and when I switched back on, the humming didn't re-start for a few hours.
    Is that a clue regarding another fault?

tony glenn wrote: »
    Update on the excessive (?) Compressor run-time..... there's still a quiet but noticeable humming from the fridge freezer more often than not, in as much as I actually notice when it's silent. The fitter returned a couple of weeks ago and added a little more gas, and all seems to be working ok, both temps ok. I'm not sure if it's the compressor or the fan or the de-frost cycle that's humming. Out of curiosity, twice I switched off at the mains for ten seconds, and when I switched back on, the humming didn't re-start for a few hours.
    Is that a clue regarding another fault?

It's working out about 1 and half to 2 hours on, half an hour off btw

Advertisement