Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shed advice wanted

• 15-02-2020 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

so i have recently moved house and sadly for me this place has no garden shed or out buildings 😞

so basically i need something cheap and cheerful that is large enough to accomadate for a bench vise on form of table work station, small aircompressor and various other mechanics tools.

ive been looking at mostly metal frame type ones between 300-500 euros id like something i could take away with me again if possible.

i have also been looking at dancover portable garages but with the weather the way it is it would need to be taken down over winter.

most of them say i need a concrete base but that wont be possible as i doubt id b aloud is there a work around to that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

You would be better of getting a wooden one stronger will last longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

so i have recently moved house and sadly for me this place has no garden shed or out buildings 😞

so basically i need something cheap and cheerful that is large enough to accomadate for a bench vise on form of table work station, small aircompressor and various other mechanics tools.

ive been looking at mostly metal frame type ones between 300-500 euros id like something i could take away with me again if possible.

i have also been looking at dancover portable garages but with the weather the way it is it would need to be taken down over winter.

most of them say i need a concrete base but that wont be possible as i doubt id b aloud is there a work around to that.

You can use paving slabs without having to dig etc. Just ensure they are level. Remove paving slabs when you are leaving.

Tbh if I was renting i would be investing in anything like a shed. Chances are you will have to leave it behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

paving slabs sound like a good alternative, i have a self assembly metal frame shed bookmarked for €349 decent size, i dont have much choice in buying the shed i have no where to store my tools ect at the moment 1/2 of my tools are in my bedroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭carbonceiling

be careful with metal sheds as a lot of them can suffer from condensation problems and the walls can get quite wet on the inside which can't be good for your tools.

this is what ill more than likely get and plonk it on paving slabs.

https://www.vidaxl.ie/e/8719883756721/vidaxl-garden-storage-shed-anthracite-steel-257x205x178-cm

it says it has vents etc, i guess if i put something under the paving slabs it might help with moisture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Before you buy it go look at one. They aren't that sturdy and do suffer from rust. I put one in my parents house 6 years ago and I'll be happy if it lasted another 2

keithdub wrote: »
    Before you buy it go look at one. They aren't that sturdy and do suffer from rust. I put one in my parents house 6 years ago and I'll be happy if it lasted another 2

they sell them on donedeal in kerry but thats a bit further than id like to drive just for a gawk, but i get where your coming from. if the one im looking at lasted 6 years for the small price it would have paid for itself for me anyway. if it kept my tools relatively safe and "dry" with enough space for a small work table id be happy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

this is what ill more than likely get and plonk it on paving slabs.

https://www.vidaxl.ie/e/8719883756721/vidaxl-garden-storage-shed-anthracite-steel-257x205x178-cm

it says it has vents etc, i guess if i put something under the paving slabs it might help with moisture?

What height are you? It's not very tall so even if you're quite short it might be a pain in the hole.

im 5"4 on a good day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

they sell them on donedeal in kerry but thats a bit further than id like to drive just for a gawk, but i get where your coming from. if the one im looking at lasted 6 years for the small price it would have paid for itself for me anyway. if it kept my tools relatively safe and "dry" with enough space for a small work table id be happy.

Hi Yamaha.

Years ago I bought one of these from Argos https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6215569/Trail/searchtext%3ESHED.htm. I don't think that there was a single piece longer than 18". It was never dry and was damaged in the winds several times. I spent the 7 or 8 years we had it trying to sure it up with timber and patch holes.

Not much help to you but I wouldn't get another.

All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭paddyb

I moved in to a place that has a shed with a metal roof. Had to take all of my tools out of the shed because it was so damp with the condensation from the metal roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I can recommend a timber frame steel shed...best of both worlds

Mine has survived two stormy winters so far, still nice and tight and dry as a bone inside

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107161271

Advertisement