Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda checkpoint, full headlights on

• 19-02-2020 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all, new here so I apologise if this is in the wrong section.
    Was driving home this evening and came across a Garda Checkpoint on an unlit road. There were blue lights on my side of the road and the Garda car was parked on the other side of the road with blue sirens on and full headlights on. The lights were so strong I could not see what was actually happening, whether it was an accident etc.
    I slowed right down and could barely see the Garda in the middle of the road because of the full lights. I thought she motioned for me to pull in but wasn't sure again because of the lights, so did so to be safe.
    When I rolled down the window I said I'm sorry I didn't know if you wanted me to pull in or not because I couldn't see with the lights, to which she replied well you can stay there now anyway.
    My father was in the car said you're lights are way too strong you can't see because of them. She said that they have to be that strong so they can be seen (I think she may have been referring to the blue sirens) so I said it's just very hard to see because you have your full headlights on. She ignored this and asked for my driver's licence and breathalyzed me. All negative no bother. I gave up saying anything else so said thank you take care. To be honest was annoyed because I tried to tell her nicely but was just met with a very bad attitude.

My question is are Gardai checkpoints meant to use full headlights? Surely they should be the same as other road users and dim to oncoming traffic.
    Thanks a million for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I've seen them be oblivious to such things before but you are wasting your time trying to tell a garda anything.
    They are brural for parking facing traffic on wrong side of road too and then even dipped beams will blind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Never heard of check points being carried out with full head lights on?? In Dublin they have these small blue flashing lights which they place on the ground to warn motorists that a checkpoint is being operated.

Did you get her collar number? Reg number of the patrol car?

Was she wearing her hi vis vest? What reason did she give you to demand your licence and to breathalyse you?

Sounds like you came across a Nazi storm trooper.

You can always make a complaint at the local Garda station or via GSOC

So there were blue flashing lights & headlights.
    And you slowed down.
    Do seems like they did their job?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rosemary1992

mickdw wrote: »
    I've seen them be oblivious to such things before but you are wasting your time trying to tell a garda anything.
    They are brural for parking facing traffic on wrong side of road too and then even dipped beams will blind you.

You're dead right I suppose, they probably don't want to be seen in the wrong when they're in a role of authority. That's why I tried to say it as nicely as possible and so the road was safe for her and other users also. You're right though wasting my breath. Thanks a mill

kravmaga wrote: »
    Never heard of check points being carried out in Dublin with full head lights on??

Did you get her collar number? You can always make a complaint at the station or via GSOC regarding the poor behaviour of the officer

I only thought of that afterwards, you know how you'd be caught up in things at the time. Glad that I said it about the lights to her, hopefully someone else did too. Thanks for the advice 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

bubblypop wrote: »
    And you slowed down.

Me thinks you're missing the point.

Garda car was stopped with headlights on full, them coming opposite way.. .. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

And you slowed down.

Do you drive ?

My question is are Gardai checkpoints meant to use full headlights? Surely they should be the same as other road users and dim to oncoming traffic.

Why would they be the same as incoming traffic?
    They are not incoming traffic & they want you to stop.
    Also, they want you to slow down, there are health & safety issues in relation to the guard standing on the road.
    Of course they want you to slow down &/or maybe stop!

jaxxx wrote: »
    Me thinks you're missing the point.

Garda car was stopped with headlights on full, them coming opposite way.. .. ..

The Garda car was on the opposite side of the road?
    Presume it was a dual carriageway

Do you drive ?

Yes I do.
    What's your point?

• Advertisement

And you slowed down.

Full headlights which blind oncoming traffic. I slowed down because I was unsure what was happening and it was a 100km zone.
    You are right though it had the desired effect. Let's hope if it is the correct procedure that all other road users do the same and don't knock them down because they can't see them.

Could be a simple mistake by a Garda, and a misunderstanding when you tried to explain it.

A lot of squad cars are fitted with headlights where the beam lights alternate from side to side when the emergency lights are activated, but i think this is generally disabled for stationary vehicles (ie checkpoints and such).

Could be a simple mistake by a Garda, and a misunderstanding when you tried to explain it.

A lot of squad cars are fitted with headlights where the beam lights alternate from side to side when the emergency lights are activated, but i think this is generally disabled for stationary vehicles (ie checkpoints and such).

Yeah at the end of the day they're just doing their job! It may have gotten lost in translation. Yes I know exactly which you mean the flashing headlights, these were constant. It probably was a genuine mistake and she just wanted to get on with doing her job! Thanks for the info :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

The Garda car was on the opposite side of the road?
    Presume it was a dual carriageway
    Yes I do.
    What's your point?

You need to go to Specsavers :pac:

Was she wearing her hi vis vest? What reason did she give you to demand your licence and to breathalyse you?

Do they have to give you a reason for asking for your licence/breathalyzing you? Ten years driving and this is the first time I've been breathalyzed so not a clue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Do they have to give you a reason for asking for your licence/breathalyzing you? Ten years driving and this is the first time I've been breathalyzed so not a clue!

Do you never question people in authority positions, I do all the time.

I think you need to have a read of this.

https://www.iccl.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/ICCL_KYR_Justice_2014_LR.pdf

Why would they be the same as incoming traffic?
    They are not incoming traffic & they want you to stop.
    Also, they want you to slow down, there are health & safety issues in relation to the guard standing on the road.
    Of course they want you to slow down &/or maybe stop!

I am oncoming traffic as I approach them and yes one would think that part of the health and safety of the Gardai standing on the road would be that I can clearly see them which I could not. My point is that others may not have done the same as they could not clearly see what was happening. I could not see the Garda until I was close as the lights were blinding me.
    No it was not a dual carriageway, they were just parked at the other side of the road with their full lights facing me, hence why I couldn't see them properly.
    At the end of the day though we won't get in a tissy about it as nothing bad happened! Was merely asking to see if anyone knew whether it was correct procedure. Thanks for your comments

Do you never question people in authority positions, I do all the time.

I think you need to have a read of this.

Hahaha I don't make a habit of it, real goodie two shoes here :L
    Thanks, I'll have a read and be a real rebel from now on! ;P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,459 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Guards are complete morons, if they say the grass is blue you are at absolutely nothing telling them it's actually green. So don't try, fools talk, fool argue while wise men listen to reason. Lesson is to not bother to argue with fools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

It is normal and legal for Mandatory Alcohol Testing to be carried out, same as checkpoints for tax/ insurance:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2010/act/25/section/10/enacted/en/html#sec10

The full headlights thing is a load of balls, and a danger to motorists and the Garda herself. I don’t think people understand the glare their headlights can cause. They shouldn’t have been left on at a static checkpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Guards are complete morons, if they say the grass is blue you are at absolutely nothing telling them it's actually green. So don't try, fools talk, fool argue while wise men listen to reason. Lesson is to not bother to argue with fools.

That's some sweeping statement to make about 14,000 people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Never heard of check points being carried out with full head lights on?? In Dublin they have these small blue flashing lights which they place on the ground to warn motorists that a checkpoint is being operated.

Did you get her collar number? Reg number of the patrol car?

FFS who'd be a gardai. Complaints to gsoc over them having headlights on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Hahaha I don't make a habit of it, real goodie two shoes here :L
    Thanks, I'll have a read and be a real rebel from now on! ;P
    Save yourself, don't read it. Suffice to say if they don't have their hat on then maritime law applies and they have to speak Irish to convict...

But seriously, don't become one of them... If you are that worried about it that you have to read that whole doc, better to ask yourself what are you doing wrong to have that worry.

If you have a concern ask but respect the people trying to do their job and don't just be obtuse for the sake of being obtuse.

But in your orig point, I would have said it to then also, but, after that, whatever sand just get on with life

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

A lot of the posters got out of wrong side of bed this morning!
    Original op was just saying the attitude of the Gardaí at checkpoint , and I would agree some of them are quiet ignorant in there attitudes at times !
    I have given up being anyway helpful to them of if pulled in for any reason , I give them my license say nothing just let them get on with it !
    I’d say there a jealous of what people drive tbh ! And believe themselves to be inferior to others because I wear a Garda uniform ! A lot of them seem to have problems what ever it’s about !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

A lot of the posters got out of wrong side of bed this morning!
    Original op was just saying the attitude of the Gardaí at checkpoint , and I would agree some of them are quiet ignorant in there attitudes at times !
    I have given up being anyway helpful to them of if pulled in for any reason , I give them my license say nothing just let them get on with it !
    I’d say there a jealous of what people drive tbh ! And believe themselves to be inferior to others because I wear a Garda uniform ! A lot of them seem to have problems what ever it’s about !

Yep, like every profession...good and bad out there...

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Was driving home this evening and came across a Garda Checkpoint on an unlit road. There were blue lights on my side of the road and the Garda car was parked on the other side of the road with blue sirens on and full headlights on. The lights were so strong I could not see what was actually happening, whether it was an accident etc.
    I slowed right down and could barely see the Garda in the middle of the road because of the full lights. I thought she motioned for me to pull in but wasn't sure again because of the lights, so did so to be safe.
    When I rolled down the window I said I'm sorry I didn't know if you wanted me to pull in or not because I couldn't see with the lights, to which she replied well you can stay there now anyway.
    My father was in the car said you're lights are way too strong you can't see because of them. She said that they have to be that strong so they can be seen (I think she may have been referring to the blue sirens) so I said it's just very hard to see because you have your full headlights on. She ignored this and asked for my driver's licence and breathalyzed me. All negative no bother. I gave up saying anything else so said thank you take care. To be honest was annoyed because I tried to tell her nicely but was just met with a very bad attitude.

It may have been a mis-understanding. You refer to 'full lights' which is a term many people say when they are referring to dipped headlights (as opposed to parking lights). If you had said 'high beams', it may have had more effect. The Garda may not have realised that the main beams were on. (In some cars, the blue interior light indicating that the main beams are on is poorly placed).

She may have also thought you were referring to the blue lights.

It's also possible that the car was parked on uneven ground making the dipped headlights shine higher up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 wmMagner

I've seen the same thing with the lights twice. I thought they were doing it to illuminate the reg plates of the on coming traffic for the camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Saw one of the traffic gardai ford rangers in the dark evening last month with only the front DRL's on and no rear lights. Oblivious.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yes I do.
    What's your point?
    Do you understand how headlights work and the effect full beams have on a car coming towards them?

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Do you understand how headlights work and the effect full beams have on a car coming towards them?

He's a garda too I believe, so there's no talking to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,517 ✭✭✭✭Esel

salonfire wrote: »
    He's a garda too I believe, so there's no talking to him.
    They would certainly be on your case if you drove up to a checkpoint with full headlights on...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,459 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That's some sweeping statement to make about 14,000 people.

Not at all considering they all back each other up in their foolishness. All for one and one for all, grass is blue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

Only thing I'll say as a possible excuse (I'll not get bogged down in being called a moron) is that the lights in the patrol cars are rubbish, like you'd have better light off 2 candles.
    Even the new i40s are shockingly bad to the point that I've had to drive with high beams just to see a normal distance as would be expected of dipped beams. That said I still don't have them on when driving against oncoming traffic obviously.

I have had people say the blues are too bright and they weren't talking about high beams as I always change to drls when pulled up at a CP.
    So I can see where there may have possibly been confusion over the issue raised by the op as to what lights they were talking about and the Garda in question just not being aware they'd left high beams on.

But I wasn't there so I can't say for sure, just giving a guess coming from the moron's side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Killinator wrote: »
    Only thing I'll say as a possible excuse (I'll not get bogged down in being called a moron) is that the lights in the patrol cars are rubbish, like you'd have better light off 2 candles.
    Even the new i40s are shockingly bad to the point that I've had to drive with high beams just to see a normal distance as would be expected of dipped beams. That said I still don't have them on when driving against oncoming traffic obviously.

I have had people say the blues are too bright and they weren't talking about high beams as I always change to drls when pulled up at a CP.
    So I can see where there may have possibly been confusion over the issue raised by the op as to what lights they were talking about and the Garda in question just not being aware they'd left high beams on.

But I wasn't there so I can't say for sure, just giving a guess coming from the moron's side.

Fair play, I don't believe for a second you or most other guards are moron's and its an easy mistake to leave on the high beams - we are all human. But I think what most people are saying is that the day to day contact with some guards leaves a lot to be desired when maybe we as citizens are also trying to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

That makes complete sense. The standard of equipment you guys have to put up with is abysmal.

Genuine question. Are Guards trained to be rude in certain situations and traffic situations in particular? What I mean it, is it a calculated attitude to take control of a particular situation i.e. you tell someone to provide a licence or answer a question rather than asking to see a licence or for an answer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

No, unfortunately some guards are just ignorant pricks and some join hoping to get a cushy job in the Super's office and treat 'regular' work with disdain and as a result treat the public like something they stepped in
    I won't lie, I work with a few of them from time to time and it infuriates me to see it as I know the impression it gives and even practically we may rely on these people for help/info later down the line for who knows what.
    The higher ups can't/won't do anything about it as they need every body they can get, so an air of untouchable.....ness results with the very people who don't need it while the hard work diligent lads run to fix their messes.

Such is life really, it ain't limited to our job.

But back on topic, no, we are given very little training in communication at CPs other than making demands for licences/breath tests and the like. And to be fair one should not need training to know how to talk to people appropriately, that should be a given. The ones who give a damn will pick up the tricks for getting bits of information whilst the aforementioned morons will grunt and wave you on unless you give 'cheek'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

No, unfortunately some guards are just ignorant pricks and some join hoping to get a cushy job in the Super's office and treat 'regular' work with disdain and as a result treat the public like something they stepped in
    I won't lie, I work with a few of them from time to time and it infuriates me to see it as I know the impression it gives and even practically we may rely on these people for help/info later down the line for who knows what.
    The higher ups can't/won't do anything about it as they need every body they can get, so an air of untouchable.....ness results with the very people who don't need it while the hard work diligent lads run to fix their messes.

Such is life really, it ain't limited to our job.

But back on topic, no, we are given very little training in communication at CPs other than making demands for licences/breath tests and the like. And to be fair one should not need training to know how to talk to people appropriately, that should be a given. The ones who give a damn will pick up the tricks for getting bits of information whilst the aforementioned morons will grunt and wave you on unless you give 'cheek'

Thanks. I appreciate that response. It's not fair that people such as yourself have to put up with the crap some of your colleagues cause. As you say though, it's not limited to your job, however, your job involves dealing with such awful crap that you could do with your colleagues pulling together.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Thanks. I appreciate that response. It's not fair that people such as yourself have to put up with the crap some of your colleagues cause. As you say though, it's not limited to your job, however, your job involves dealing with such awful crap that you could do with your colleagues pulling together.

Thanks again.

I'd also like to say thanks to Killinator as hopefully more like him will prevail.

Advertisement