Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tavel insurance for touring

Options
  • 08-01-2020 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭

I've the ferries booked and looking to sort out travel insurance. The last few times I just Googled travel insurance and selected the higher cover for motorcycle touring. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good company for travel insurance for bikers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Check your own bike policy - quite often there is some sort of EU cover included.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭listermint

1 Check your own bike policy can be thrown in already

2 Check your home insurance or Medical Insurance many throw it in for free.

3 Check your Bank they also offer great rates. Revolut has offers for example as do Bank of Ireland

4 Check the usual MultiTrip .com for example this is their bread and butter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Multitrip are good, I have used them a few times.
    I had to claim a few years back for a Skiing injury and they were fine to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Bike insurance is up before I go so will have to check but it usually only has cover for the bike not the rider. Don't have travel insurance with medical or home but they won't cover higher risk activities which touring is.

Wil check multi trip, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Don't forget you have EU E111 cover whilst on the continent as standard, via your taxes.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

A lot of travel insurance policies "exclude" claims arising from motorcycles in excess of 250 cc. Read the exclusions before you buy. You need to talk to a human and get all exclusions noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Multitrip.ie, and you need to go for Grade 3, which specifically includes motorcycles over 125cc.

499494.png

Has your bike insurance got personal accident insurance included btw - if so, it's defacto for bike use afaik - worth checking.

Doing that, here's what it quotes me for 10 days cover in June to Mainland Europe:

499494.png

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Group 3 would be required as already said.

E111 only provides basic emergency room cover, same as you would get here. It would not cover your repatriation etc.

Extra with your bike insurance would only be for the bike, breakdown recovery, bike repatriation, replacement vehicle etc.

I've used Blue Insurance in the past.

Never needed it, thank feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think Blue and Multitrip are the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

I had to go through this this year.
    Bike insurance (Carol Nash) covers the bike and passenger. In the UK they do have a medical policy for bike travel, but that is not offered in Ireland. The only offer here is personal accident, where you get paid if you lose a limb etc. Thus is not a foreign travel medical policy.
    VHI, including multitrip, covers medical EXCLUDING motorcycle accidents.
    This is important, if you get sick abroad then multitrip covers you, however if you are injured while riding, then they do not. This is the same issue with dangerous sports, e.g. go hangliding while abroad and you may not be covered. Winter sports is another common exclusion unless specifically paid for.

The cheapest I could get to cover me while riding was with trailfinders for €68 for 30 days cover including repatriation if necessary.

So in effect I was doubly covered while off the bike.

I could have cancelled multitrip and got travel cover for the full year with trailfinders, but I don't travel abroad on the bike enough to warrant the extra expense (multitrip is cheaper annually). I know the guys in Overlanders use trailfinders for their cover.

• Advertisement
Advertisement