Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnstown house hotel

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lollypopsem

Shivers26 wrote: »
    Uplighters from uplighters.ie and they are costing €250 for the whole room. They will do deals if you book your DJ with Pro DJs. These also have a fairylight backdrop available for hire now so they would probably do you a good deal.

Fairylight Backdrop is from Michael Costello in Flower Petals in Edenderry. The backdrop is costing €325 but it is most definitely the nicest one I have ever seen. He is also our florist and flower prices were extremely reasonable.

Hi Shivers, Im Trudubs fiance. Just wondering are you using the whole room or just half? Where are you putting the backdrop? We are only using the half room and like the others I really want to do something with the wall. It bugs me!!! the only thing I dont like about the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Hi Shivers, Im Trudubs fiance. Just wondering are you using the whole room or just half? Where are you putting the backdrop? We are only using the half room and like the others I really want to do something with the wall. It bugs me!!! the only thing I dont like about the place!

Hi, if you google "starcloth" or "rent led backdrop", youll be led to a number of companies where you can either buy or rent.

This type of thing

http://addalittlesparkle.com/lights.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Our numbers are out about 170 adults plus a few children so we are getting the full room, thank god. We are putting the backdrop in front of the window where the stage thing is (at the suggestion of the guy putting it up as he has done it loads of times in JHH). We are getting the uplighters because I think the function room is a little boring so they will just create a nice atmosphere. What are your numbers like. We were originally borderline with 150 but when we did our guest list we went over it.

We had our menu tasting on Saturday so nothing to worry about in that department, it was amazing!!! Also the function room was all set up for a function and it looked really really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Hi, if you google "starcloth" or "rent led backdrop", youll be led to a number of companies where you can either buy or rent.

This type of thing

http://addalittlesparkle.com/lights.aspx

Actually that reminds me - I am sure one of my suppliers said something about draping walls that didn't look very nice. They would cover them in a white draping (similar to the backdrop) and then you could get uplighters for added effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Shivers26 wrote: »
    Actually that reminds me - I am sure one of my suppliers said something about draping walls that didn't look very nice. They would cover them in a white draping (similar to the backdrop) and then you could get uplighters for added effect?

I would have thought the white drapes and uplighters do tend to work well. It can be done "only ok" or it can be done "wow, the room looks amazing" which youd like to hear if you were spending the money on it.

the black star cloth, or LED cloth, is more night time entertainment stuff.

Once the hotel own the drapes and lights though, its just a matter of spending an hour for staff putting them up. I cant understand why they charge extra for them. They should just build it into their overall price. I know theres a rental cost if you had to go get them yourself. But say 400-500e for anything decent on trying to make a room look better. For me, other then floral arrangements, thats not the bride and grooms job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Hi everyone,

I know this is an old thread but didn't want to start a new one in case.

Anyone any recent dealings with Johnstown House? We went to see it and were very impressed with the wedding coordinator and the place overall.

Would be great to get some up to date feedback from people please as its on our shortlist at the moment.

Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 windlin

I know it's a while back (Sept 12) but must say was very happy with everything. John was our main contact on the day itself and really couldn't fault a thing. All the best

Thanks for the reply. We're dealing with someone else but she's also been fantastic to deal with, so far anyway. Glad to hear your feedback, thank again!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ShortAPennt

Hi All,

I know this is going back a while, i am just wondering if anybody has had their own wedding or attended any weddings reccently in Johnstown?

How did you find the food/drinks/venu?

We are looking at this hotel or Carton House for a Civil Cermony & wedding and wanted to know peoples experiences.

One thing i heard about Carton House is that there is no residence bar, anybody know how long they serve drink in Johsntowns for? We won't need an all nighter but i know a few would like a bit of a sing song and a pints until around 3am...

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated....

Hi All,

I know this is going back a while, i am just wondering if anybody has had their own wedding or attended any weddings reccently in Johnstown?

We are looking at this hotel or Carton House for a Civil Cermony & wedding and wanted to know peoples experiences.

One thing i heard about Carton House is that there is no residence bar, anybody know how long they serve drink in Johsntowns for? We won't need an all nighter but i know a few would like a bit of a sing song and a pints until around 3am...

Hiya,

As above, we got married there in 2016, before it was refurbished to what it is now.

The food was amazing and the portions were all well-received. Everyone ordered their main and then the staff went around the tables offering seconds so some of our guests basically had three mains and still rave about it now haha!

The drinks reception was perfect for us and we had wine with the meal also as well as a toast drink which we paid for.

The staff in the planning stages were brilliant and on the day itself they couldn’t do enough for us. I had a big drama with my dress and they were fantastic and they also threw in a few extras which we didn’t realise until we got the final bill and saw that we weren’t charged for them.

I know some of our guests were up til the wee hours singing and we didn’t hear any issues with that so I’d assume it’s similar but best to clarify if it’s something that’s important to you.

Best of luck with it all. I can’t recommend Johnstown Estate enough and we love going back for our anniversary and random drinks if we’re in the area, it’s a gorgeous hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Hi All,

My sister got married there back in 2017. As a guest and bridesmaid I found the place to be really good. Despite the wedding planner changing 2 weeks before the wedding (which led to a couple of minor hiccups in the lead up) they really were on top of things.

The food was nice enough. The only thing I didn't like (looking at it with planning my own in mind) was that they wouldn't tell my sister what the vegetarian option was in advance.

I didn't stay up mad late but the party was still going at 2am when I went up to bed in the reception room.

Location for photos is beautiful and my sister got some lovely ones with the grounds and the fountain out the front.

I know that overall she was really thrilled with the whole experience there (they had the ceremony and reception there) and recommends it to other people.

Advertisement