Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring floodlight

Options
  • 26-01-2020 11:14pm

I got a ring doorbell for Xmas and I love it. Thinking of getting a ring floodlight camera for the front driveway, the side passage and the backgarden. Then upgrading my ring account and paying the 10er a month to cover and record from all devices.

I like the fact it has a siren I can activate, a floodlight, a camera and 2 way talk. It means I'm in control of the security around the outside of my house

Does anyone have the floodlight cameras? How do they find them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Yeah, I have one in the back garden. Find it very handy.
    Need good WiFi though, because if it loses signal even the floodlight stops working.

I have good WiFi but I might get the chime extender for the back of the house (router is at front of house)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I got one at Christmas and also have it in the back garden. I knew I had bad WiFi where it was going and got a plug in TPLINK extender which works fine. It’s really good, far better quality camera that the Ring 2 doorbell (although The doorbell facing south May be an issue)

The floodlight is great but the siren and talk is a bit feeble.

The only mistake I made was not getting a WiFi Extender that allows for a couple of boosters as I’m going to get the smaller Ring Battery camera and solar charger for the side of the house and will need another extender to cover there.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Larry_N

Have you had a look at the Swann equivalent? I installed one last week and impressed with it so far. It's cheaper than ring but the main reason I bought it is it includes 7 days local storage and 2 days cloud storage for free, everything seems to try and tie you into a monthly subscription these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I don't know about the floodlights, but I have the spotlights (permanently wired version) and I am not impressed at all.

It is very heavy on broadband usage. Notifications seem to have a complete mind of their own when or whether they will work or not - At the front, I get a notifications every time a bird lands in the garden, or car headlights driving past at night will trigger it, (even though they are outside the set motion zones) but someone could walk up my driveway and be standing at my front door and I don't get a notifiation? The light is not triggered until someone is practically standing under it. The two way talk is not great quality at all, not like what is made out in the ads at all.

I've tweaked all the settings, but nope, I can't recommend the spotlight at all. Maybe you'll have more luck with the floodlight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

AulWan wrote: »
    I don't know about the floodlights, but I have the spotlights (permanently wired version) and I am not impressed at all.

It is very heavy on broadband usage. Notifications seem to have a complete mind of their own when or whether they will work or not - At the front, I get a notifications every time a bird lands in the garden, or car headlights driving past at night will trigger it, (even though they are outside the set motion zones) but someone could walk up my driveway and be standing at my front door and I don't get a notifiation? The light is not triggered until someone is practically standing under it. The two way talk is not great quality at all, not like what is made out in the ads at all.

I've tweaked all the settings, but nope, I can't recommend the spotlight at all. Maybe you'll have more luck with the floodlight.

I have the same issues with a floodlight cam, cats passing underneath and headlights can set it off, yet in the 2 years I have it, I had 2 instances of dodgy person's calling to the house, no notifications. Several times cattle or sheep that broke out on the road came into the garden and no notifications. All this with a subscription as well.
    I loved the idea of an all in one camera, motion detector flood light and siren, but I will be replacing it with a dedicated cctv system in the near future

Advertisement