Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket sealers

Options
  • 19-01-2021 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I’m looking to improve the airtightness and reduce drafts by DYI. I’ve seen these “socket sealers” and “Light Switch Plate Draft Stopper Foam Gaskets”, but they seem to be mostly an American thing. Can I buy something similar in Ireland? Or will the American version fit the Irish sockets and light switches? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

A silicone sealant Fire Rated is what you need around sockets. It would work the same as some gasket but you can decide how to shape it, which you cant with a gasket that has a fixed shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

TBH, you are far better getting to the source of the air infiltration.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

TBH, you are far better getting to the source of the air infiltration.

In a cold roof that may well be the conduit in attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

listermint wrote: »
    In a cold roof that may well be the conduit in attic.

Yep or a screwed up dabbed on PB with un ducted wall vents:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Yep or a screwed up dabbed on PB with un ducted wall vents:D

Ewe. Where do I hit them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭EVGR

How do I find the source of the infiltration? I feel draft from a light switch on an internal wall, so it may well come from the attic. The attic has 300mm insulation and a floor on raised beams. The wall vents are ducted, but I don’t know how the plasterboards were put up (before my time).
    The airtightness test showed that the walls are well insulated, but the heat retention problem comes through cracks and gaps. So I’m working my way through the house with expanding foam and silicone.

Advertisement