Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will EU open for inter-EU holiday travel?

Options
  • 09-01-2021 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

It seems like a long way away but the multiple factors will combine to surely allow significant movement of people this summer.

Accelerating vaccine roll-out combined with the natural seasonal decline of the virus should enable some normality this summer.

Will it? Will we need test results on arrival, will instant home test kits suffice or will be need PCR testing? Will EU citizens have to isolate for a period on arrival?

When will things loosen up? Will we see a significant uptick in travel from April/May or will it be high season July/August.

I think whilst we are in the depths of despair at the moment, we will see a surge in confidence from late February onwards.

The fear is whether there could be a late spring wave in Europe or can we avoid it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My crystal ball is malfunctioning at the moment :)

The answer is simply we can't know. Tourism is important but so is keeping people alive. We thought last March it would be over by the summer, then September, then January. Now nobody is making predictions, just waiting.

The likes of Ryanair are pushing "jab and go" but the truth is that the majority of the population won't have access to the vaccine until much later in the year, if not 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,179 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The vulnerable and frontline workers need to be vaccinated in each country, then there is full reopening. Being vaccinated still has transmission risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Being vaccinated still has transmission risk.

Because of this, I can see pre flight testing being a requirement for 2021 & possibly beyond and for both outbound & inbound flights

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

A few months ago I Stupidly booked flights for France June 25 ...didn’t opt for flexi fare. Jumped the gun as wanted to reschedule our holiday From last year and use our vouchers etc - I presume if flights are cancelled we will still get refunds?

My husband will be vaccinated by June. I work cross border (no idea if I can avail of the vaccine in Ni as a non resident - their roll out looks like it will be much faster). So I’m still hoping it will be possible but really wish I held off booking anything

Advertisement