Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Missing Skoda Octavia tool

• 02-11-2019 2:44pm
    Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭

The rear brakelight is gone in my 162 Skoda Octavia. I bought a bulb and was going to replace it but to get at it I need 2 tools (as described in the car handbook).

- First one is tool #5 in the vehicle tool kit, "Clamps for removing the wheel trims"
    - Second one is "Key for removing and installing the tail light"

I have the first one, and this allows me to remove a cover at the side that exposes 2 screws to be removed which will allow me access to change the bulb. To remove these screws I need the second item above, the key, which is essentially the screwdriver, but this is missing. I bought the car second hand a few months back.

Does anyone know if I can buy this key tool anywhere, online or otherwise, etc? I'd rather not have to bring the car to a garage or somewhere to change a bloody light bulb. I have looked online but either I am not searching for the right thing, or it's not something easy to get.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Is it a special type of screwdriver, or does it look like a common one when you look at the screws?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

wonski wrote: »
    Is it a special type of screwdriver, or does it look like a common one when you look at the screws?

Special type. I have a proper screwdriver set but nothing seems to fit it.

Edit: Looking at it again, Allen keys might fit although the shape might not be quite right. It's raining too heavy to actually try for now, I'll try it when the rain stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Torx or Hex type key screw driver head?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ruvyi

I am having the exact same issue with my own second hand 162 Octavia. If anyone could help me to get my hands on the key so I can replace the bulbs I would be very appreciative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Can you send picture of screw head? It's likely just a Torx head with maybe some plastics caps over it. Remove these with a flat head screwdriver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s just a bent piece of wire (but stronger) that you hooks into some holes in the plastic trim to pull them off. A small sized Allen key or a pick might do the job too.
    EEC274-C3-AF02-4-D05-9287-F05657-AA77-EE.jpg

Those trims pull off, then there’s some torx type bolts behind that

This is the nearest thing I could find to it online
    46-DC4358-8-C97-43-DD-9-BA6-B9735-E9-CBA54.jpg

If somebody’s been tight enough to remove this from the toolkit, if your car has wheel nut covers, make sure the plastic tweezers for removing them isn’t gone missing too. Both items are very cheap from a main dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

colm_mcm wrote: »
    ...Those trims pull off, then there’s some torx type bolts behind that....

In my experience of VAG gear, for what it's worth, fasteners that look Torx-y tend to be Ribe/Polydrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not sure what they are, but the right tool comes with the car :)

Pretty sure I used my torx bit on it though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not sure what they are, but the right tool comes with the car :)

Pretty sure I used my torx bit on it though..

Oh yeah, depending on the size a Torx bit will often adequately catch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ruvyi

Thanks for the help!
    I picked up a set of Torx bits and they managed to get it off, although with a bit of burring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement