Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a DR650se

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I had flushed the rear when I got the bike as the brake may as well not have been there at all
    But If I was honest the disc could prob do with being replaced also as it is badly scored and the pin that the pad slides on has a wear groove from lack of any grease / lubricant

I did see a thread where the Disc and caliper were swapped out for one from the V1000 and a new custom brake hose

Or I could maybe pick up a new disc and braided line with new pads would prob be a cheaper option

The rear brake on the GS is pretty ****e, it will slow the bike down, but I wouldn't rely on it.
    The front brake works well enough though.

Should see the CCM R30, brake is over engineered on the front, it uses 4 pistons on a 644cc Freewind engine

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

goblin59 wrote: »
    Had a mate weld me up an adapter for a GSXR exhaust over the weekend,
    Really need to learn to weld, and also have a place to do the welding.

New exhaust is nearly a 5th the weight of the old one,
    So now have a titanium GSXR exhaust and a stainless steel midpipe,

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

That old exhaust looks in great nik
    Cheapskate that I am I would have waited till it rusted its way off :-)

That old exhaust looks in great nik
    Cheapskate that I am I would have waited till it rusted its way off :-)

That's the original exhaust off the 2014 DR (about 10km on that bike)
    The original from this bike is a lot worse off.
    The GXSR exhaust was in a box of spares, dad got 3 of them off an auction and put one on the 2014 DR.

Going to be upgrading the fuel tank during the weekend, current one is a pain in the arse as its a 13 litre tank, and to fill it up, I've to get the keys off one of the other bikes to open it as we don't know where the original filler cap went.

Have a 30 litre Safari tank in the parts box for the bike though, so I've agreed with Dad that I'll use that and then depending on who's doing what we'll swap it over to the other bikes when he needs it back and I'll take what ever tank was on that bike.
    Parts box is now much emptier than it was this time last year

A 30 L tank will a good bit of weight
    But you will be able to go for ever & ever without stopping :-)

• Advertisement

A 30 L tank will a good bit of weight
    But you will be able to go for ever & ever without stopping :-)

brings the bike up to 700km range, according to the forums. Dads Aussie bike came with it, but he put a 20 litre acerbis on it instead which is why it was in storage.

It will increase the weight, but when empty, the 30 litre and original metal tank are about the same weight.
    I'd probally get a 20 litre if I see one for sale second hand and then keep the 30 litre for if I do trips across Europe / Morocco on the bike

brings the bike up to 700km range, according to the forums. Dads Aussie bike came with it, but he put a 20 litre acerbis on it instead which is why it was in storage.

It will increase the weight, but when empty, the 30 litre and original metal tank are about the same weight.
    I'd probally get a 20 litre if I see one for sale second hand and then keep the 30 litre for if I do trips across Europe / Morocco on the bike
    Yeah a 30L tank will give great range for trekking
    The V has a 21L tank and I get about 370km but you can feel the weight increase when you fill it up
    I would say you will have great fun on it when it is all done and dusted :-)

Yeah a 30L tank will give great range for trekking
    The V has a 21L tank and I get about 370km but you can feel the weight increase when you fill it up
    I would say you will have great fun on it when it is all done and dusted :-)

yeah the BMW has a 16L tank, but its under the seat, so you don't notice the upper weight.
    If i don't get on with the 30 litre, I'll look for a replacement cap to use with the other tank.

Would definitely be good for trekking though! I've tickets for Wacken Open Air this summer, so will try and do the TET roads up to Hamburg, not sure if im taking the GS or DR, depends on if Im taking my friend pillion or not. The GS is just a better machine for Pillion

So put the other tank on today,
    The other tank definitely looked more dynamic, but no where near the same range!

Plus this has a built in fuel gauge,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Be careful with those old tanks, I had an old Acerbis tank that had gone brittle and when I knocked it the shed it shattered.
    It was painted so that might have done something to it?
    It had an asymmetric filler cap and two fuel taps.
    You don't want a tank that is brittle, It would be a disaster.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Be careful with those old tanks, I had an old Acerbis tank that had gone brittle and when I knocked it the shed it shattered.
    It was painted so that might have done something to it?
    It had an asymmetric filler cap and two fuel taps.
    You don't want a tank that is brittle, It would be a disaster.

I've read before that its painting them that make them brittle.
    Unfortunately on this tank, the fuel taps had the seals deteriorate so I'm looking for either Vitol, or something similar to replace the seals with.
    I've drained the tank for now, as a procycle order arrives on Monday and I want to look at relocating the choke, I had a choke knob direct on the carb, but I actually can't get at it now with this tank xD
    It was already a pain in the arse with the original tank tbh.

I'll be fitting the hand guards, bash plate and ricor intimidators next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

I want to look at relocating the choke, I had a choke knob direct on the carb, but I actually can't get at it now with this tank xD

Later gen dr800's replaced the choke on carb body to cable operated choke plunger on bars, should fit with all bst series mikunis (which I assume you have on er)
    cablestarter-medium5840031-D10-01-c4c1.jpg
    https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-dr800su-1996-t-germany-e22_model13287/cablestarter_5840031d10/#.YAxtW2mnyyM
    What weight and brand oil ye using with the intiminators?

I've read before that its painting them that make them brittle.
    Unfortunately on this tank, the fuel taps had the seals deteriorate so I'm looking for either Vitol, or something similar to replace the seals with.
    I've drained the tank for now, as a procycle order arrives on Monday and I want to look at relocating the choke, I had a choke knob direct on the carb, but I actually can't get at it now with this tank xD

Viton O-rings are green so should be easy to identify.
    What kind of taps are they? Safari branded ones or similar?
    E10 damages rubber badly over time.
    Its a curse on old bikes.

Viton O-rings are green so should be easy to identify.
    What kind of taps are they? Safari branded ones or similar?
    E10 damages rubber badly over time.
    Its a curse on old bikes.

Its some random brand Dad had to put in as the Safari ones leaked when he was riding through france a few years ago with the tank.
    He thinks the originals are around somewhere.
    I was looking at printing something in PETG as its chemical resistance, hopefully can get Viton O rings handy up in Fermanagh

H_Lime wrote: »
    Later gen dr800's replaced the choke on carb body to cable operated choke plunger on bars, should fit with all bst series mikunis (which I assume you have on er)
    cablestarter-medium5840031-D10-01-c4c1.jpg
    https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-dr800su-1996-t-germany-e22_model13287/cablestarter_5840031d10/#.YAxtW2mnyyM
    What weight and brand oil ye using with the intiminators?

Cheers! thats the style I was looking for, just have it it tied onto the Bar out of the way.
    Its the TM40 carb on the bike at the moment, M12 Nut on the choke thread

Not sure, probably 5W of what ever the local shop sells when doing the swap, Most likely Castrol Synthetic

Cheers! thats the style I was looking for, just have it it tied onto the Bar out of the way.
    Its the TM40 carb on the bike at the moment, M12 Nut on the choke thread

Not sure, probably 5W of what ever the local shop sells when doing the swap, Most likely Castrol Synthetic

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/Genuine-Mikuni-TM36-68-TM40-6-Remote-Carburetor-Choke-Cable-Bracket-Kit-NCS987-/152483079891?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1
    For TM40.
    Intiminators need 5wt ams, the below are roughly equivalent to it. Different manufacturers interpret weights differently.
    "the oils below are very close in viscosity and should give the same ride as Amsoil 5.

RaceTech (Motorex) (Light US-1)
    Motorex Racing Fork Oil (2.5w)
    Showa Suspension Fluid SS-05
    Maxima Racing Fork Fluid (85/150, 5w)
    Motul Fork Oil (Very Light)
    Ohlins Front Fork Fluid (No5 #1305-01)
    Golden Spectro Cartridge Fork Fluid (85/150, Very Light)
    "

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/Genuine-Mikuni-TM36-68-TM40-6-Remote-Carburetor-Choke-Cable-Bracket-Kit-NCS987-/152483079891?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1
    For TM40.
    Intiminators need 5wt ams, the below are roughly equivalent to it. Different manufacturers interpret weights differently.
    "the oils below are very close in viscosity and should give the same ride as Amsoil 5.

RaceTech (Motorex) (Light US-1)
    Motorex Racing Fork Oil (2.5w)
    Showa Suspension Fluid SS-05
    Maxima Racing Fork Fluid (85/150, 5w)
    Motul Fork Oil (Very Light)
    Ohlins Front Fork Fluid (No5 #1305-01)
    Golden Spectro Cartridge Fork Fluid (85/150, Very Light)
    "

Cheers!

Also **** that's expensive haha. Hopefully I can find a slightly cheaper one closer to EU / UK

So put the other tank on today,
    The other tank definitely looked more dynamic, but no where near the same range!

Plus this has a built in fuel gauge,
    What is is made of Looks like plastic ?

I was going to say paint it but as said maybe the reason for it going brittle
    Last thing you want is a trouser leg full of petrol on a hot bike

Is there anything it can be cleaned / polished with

You are doing a great job so far :-)
    Carry on the great work look forward to hearing about the progress
    Thanks
    J

What is is made of Looks like plastic ?

I was going to say paint it but as said maybe the reason for it going brittle
    Last thing you want is a trouser leg full of petrol on a hot bike

Is there anything it can be cleaned / polished with

You are doing a great job so far :-)
    Carry on the great work look forward to hearing about the progress
    Thanks
    J

Yeah they can go really brittle if painted,
    We found the original fuel cap though this morning, so thats good news, this one is leaking quite badly, so might go back into storage again, I'll repair it at some point and then put it back on if doing a really long trip.
    I'd prefer a 20 litre tank tbh! but at 300 euro I'll wait until someone crashes their DR and sells one second hand.

I can repaint the old metal tank, its currently black and pretty bad, so will sand it down and spray it to match the front and back fenders. Need to figure out the side panels soon too. Have a left panel, but not a right panel

Yeah they can go really brittle if painted,
    We found the original fuel cap though this morning, so thats good news, this one is leaking quite badly, so might go back into storage again, I'll repair it at some point and then put it back on if doing a really long trip.
    I'd prefer a 20 litre tank tbh! but at 300 euro I'll wait until someone crashes their DR and sells one second hand.

I can repaint the old metal tank, its currently black and pretty bad, so will sand it down and spray it to match the front and back fenders. Need to figure out the side panels soon too. Have a left panel, but not a right panel

Just having a rummage on fleabay there and those tanks go go for quite a bit :-
    Anywhere between 200 and 450 yoyo +postage wow

• Advertisement

Just having a rummage on fleabay there and those tanks go go for quite a bit :-
    Anywhere between 200 and 450 yoyo +postage wow

They're rare as **** second hand on the DR650 though.

They're rare as **** second hand on the DR650 though.

I'd say Australia would be your best bet for one secondhand.

I'd say Australia would be your best bet for one secondhand.

Where the safari tank came from, but I'll be hit by P&P. I'm looking at doing some of the TET once things get better, I'll see then.

Finally got the procycle order today!
    Most of this is for Dad's bike, he went a bit mad on his order,

but I've the DR650 armour kit in there plus some other bits.

Once this is done that's the bike basically finished!
    Missing a radiator guard and pannier support bars.
    Got a set of Andy Strapz expedition panniers for £80 last year on ebay so they'll be going onto this bike.
    Panniers were in great condition too, just dirty

Nice parcel of goodies, we're you caught for charges from Yanklandia?

Nice parcel of goodies, we're you caught for charges from Yanklandia?

yeah, about 300 pounds of charges on the import unfortunately.
    There's some amount of stuff in there for the newer DR.
    Plus extra wide CNC Pivot pegs.

Might be a delay getting the intimidators in, my local shop only has 1 litre of fork oil.
    Going to need 2.6 litres to do both bikes

That's some parcel alright :-)
    That will keep you busy for a bit

Hopefully keep me busy for the rest of the week. The insurance on the bike starts next Monday,

Got the moose racing hand guards on this evening,
    Tomorrow I'll fit the countershaft seal retainer.
    the local garage isn't getting the oil in until Friday, so that will be the last thing.

Have all the case armour to fit too.
    Its just glued on though with high temperature silicone

I could be wrong but ya sure on the fork oil? Thought damper rod dr 650 and 750 were all about 600ml per leg.

• Advertisement

I could be wrong but ya sure on the fork oil? Thought damper rod dr 650 and 750 were all about 600ml per leg.

have the Clymer manual beside me,
    565ml per a fork.
    I'm ordering more oil than really needed as I don't know the history of the forks, so I want to do a proper clean out of the old oil.

Despite being built from 2 write offs, it will probably be more reliable than alot of other bikes as all the service items will have been done as the bike was put together.
    Still going to do a 1000km service check though

Advertisement