Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shared downpipe

• 21-01-2021 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,
    I bought a semi D house last year. We had some tension with the owner of the rented property next door when we proposed to build and pay for a boundary wall to keep our kids in and she objected. We’re now looking at getting our fascia and soffits replaced to match in with their property. We’re replacing our down pipes but there is a communal down pipe between both houses. We want to replace it like for like (white square PVC) - do we need the neighbours permission to do so?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

re the wall
    you might look at this
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/27/enacted/en/print#part8-chap3

you might share it with her and she can decide if she wants to argue the case in court, it will cost more but she cant just say no for boundary work, especially if there are security issues.
    the downpipes is cosmetic....
    your workmen will need to stay on your side for the soffit work

which side of the line is the down pipe?
    where is the gully taking away the water.
    will the wall be an issue for the gully?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Alittlehelp45

re the wall
    you might look at this
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/27/enacted/en/print#part8-chap3

you might share it with her and she can decide if she wants to argue the case in court, it will cost more but she cant just say no for boundary work, especially if there are security issues.
    the downpipes is cosmetic....
    your workmen will need to stay on your side for the soffit work

which side of the line is the down pipe?
    where is the gully taking away the water.
    will the wall be an issue for the gully?

Thanks, re the wall we sought legal advice and were told best thing to do is concede 2 inches and build foundation and wall wholly on our side (will probably mean not plastering the neighbours side)

The downpipe is cosmetic, it’s just dirty, grubby and will look worse with new fascia, soffits and gutters. It’s illogical that that would have an issue with us replacing like for like. The down pipe and gully are exactly in the middle, the wall would need an arch but if we concede a few inches the gully sill be on the neighbours side of the wall (although still partially on our property). It might be best just to leave as is for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

What reason was given for objecting to the wall?
    You may have a legal opinion in your favour but beware that you may have future problems e.g your neighbour decides to paint or affix something to the wall. They would have no right to do so but do you want an ongoing dispute. Your home is your place of rest and the last thing you need is an ongoing irritant.
    Perhaps there are other issues at play here. Unless you are aware of any I would try to discuss the issue with them. A boundary wall could add value to their property so it is hard to understand why they would object. Maybe there was a dispute with the previous owner of your property.
    You may in future have issues with shared services e.g. drains, sewage blockages etc so it would be better to have a good relationship with your neighbouring owner if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Alittlehelp45

Cerco wrote: »
    What reason was given for objecting to the wall?
    You may have a legal opinion in your favour but beware that you may have future problems e.g your neighbour decides to paint or affix something to the wall. They would have no right to do so but do you want an ongoing dispute. Your home is your place of rest and the last thing you need is an ongoing irritant.
    Perhaps there are other issues at play here. Unless you are aware of any I would try to discuss the issue with them. A boundary wall could add value to their property so it is hard to understand why they would object. Maybe there was a dispute with the previous owner of your property.
    You may in future have issues with shared services e.g. drains, sewage blockages etc so it would be better to have a good relationship with your neighbouring owner if at all possible.

Thanks. They felt that a wall would “close in their garden too much” and objected. We’ve since offered to build on our side and plaster and paint their side as a gesture of goodwill.

We’ll wait for a response before making a call on the downpipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Dont get theiroffence to having a wall built if they dont live there, you could easily find problems for them, sounds like poor form on their part.
    Im reading it as the owners of the rented property are objecting?
    I had thought it was the tenants initially.

On a seperate note, I have square downpipe, and I can see why you'd want to match the downpipes, but if the option was for round or square, I think Id go for round. Even with a small bit of rain or when there has been light rain and its drained off, there is a constant drip drip drip noise as the water seems to fall the length of the pipe rather than drain, I wouldnt be bothered when its heavy rain, its when its light that its noticeable.
    I think round might reduce that as water draining will have one large surface to adhere to if it can be directed onto the interior surface, I also think its part of how the connections have been made, but I think round looks nicer.

Its possible there is hardware that directs the water onto the interior surface rather than let it fall down the downpipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks, re the wall we sought legal advice and were told best thing to do is concede 2 inches

Bad advice by an ill -informed lawyer and bad construction advice.

Proper wall requires it to be centred on a foundation 3 times the width

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement