Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free NCT Test

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

I requested a test date on the 11th march and was given a test date of 27 may today ,rang them and asked for a sooner date as my nct was up on saturday and was given a date for next friday ,I checked if the test was free as it was over 28 days and she confirmed it was free

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Just a clarification - apparently it only applies if you make the booking by phone. If you go on the website it's not free. I was just told that in the test centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭cletus

Zascar wrote: »
    Just a clarification - apparently it only applies if you make the booking by phone. If you go on the website it's not free. I was just told that in the test centre.

Not quite. If you place yourself on the priority list online and it's over 28 days, you may ring and s say that you're not accepting that date as its outside the limit they set. They will try and get you inside the 28 days, but if not it's free.

The main thing is that you must tell them that you are not accepting the date, otherwise it's assumed that you have, therefore no free test.

As an aside, you may also refuse up to 2 dates. I was originally given a date 27 days after my original booking attempt, but I was scheduled to be out of the country with work, so refused it, and ended up with a free test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

Hi, I've got an nct coming up, not sure if I'm entitled to a free test or not. Appreciate any thoughts.
    Nct was up 4th April. I requested a test on 5th March, tried to book online but first available date was 28th may so rang for the soonest date I could get, told them I'd take a cancellation, scheduled to do the test 28 April.
    Is it 28 days after you look for the test or 28 days from the date the nct expires.
    Thanks

jfh wrote: »
    Hi, I've got an nct coming up, not sure if I'm entitled to a free test or not. Appreciate any thoughts.
    Nct was up 4th April. I requested a test on 5th March, tried to book online but first available date was 28th may so rang for the soonest date I could get, told them I'd take a cancellation, scheduled to do the test 28 April.
    Is it 28 days after you look for the test or 28 days from the date the nct expires.
    Thanks

28 days from when you first look for the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

cletus wrote: »

appreciate the info. free test so:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

cletus wrote: »

So if they offer me a test date after 28 days from when I first started seeking one, it is free yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

Where are all these extra terms and conditions coming from,all i can see in the charter is

" Ensure that the average lead time for an appointment at an individual test centre is less than three weeks and no greater than four weeks. The customer will be provided with a test free of charge where an appointment cannot be offered within a four week period provided that:

• The Customer has not declined a test appointment (either confirmed or provisional) more than twice, at a centre of their choosing, for the test due at this time

• The Customer has not previously accepted a booking outside of the 4 week period.

I dont see anywhere that you have to claim your free test,in fact a lot of people only find out on day of test that it is free.

The above is true, but its also the case that some people have had to chase what should be a free test. I had to do this myself.

The crux of the issue seems to be booking on-line. Receiving a text with a date outside the 28 days and not ringing to enquire about the free test seems to be taken in some cases as an implicit acceptance of a test date outside the four week lead-in, therefore no free test.

The same seems to be true of booking online and picking a date outside the 28 days, even if you did this because there were no earlier dates available.

I think this is where the confusion regarding having to book your test on the phone only in order to receive the test free comes from.

I know when I rang to inquire, the girl on the phone acted as if she didn't know the companies charter. When I asked would the test be free considering the date I was offered, she told me no, that of it was a free test it would say so on her screen, it didn't so I would be paying.

I asked her why that should be the case considering the companies charter, she said she didn't know and that she'd have to refer to her supervisor. Took another week, and a phone call from me to confirm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I got a free test a little over a month back, the guy at the counter said you have been waiting a while, I just replied "yeah" and that was it, free test...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Blut2

Bumping this to ask has anyone tried this lately? I'm due for a NCT but the only times available in my local test center in the next 28 days are the new all night ones.

If they only offer me a ridiculous 3am test slot can I refuse? Or do they count towards the "only 2 refusals allowed" for the free test?

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

5 years, about time this got a bump.

Rang up the NCT to get a date (online gave me one over 28 days away) and I was offered to be put on a "priority list". I didn't know what this was, so I ignored it and was given a date over 28 days away. I asked about this being free (when he mentioned paying by card) and was told "no", because I rejected the priority list.

I explained the my misunderstanding and asked to get whatever date was closest, so now i'm on the priority list. We'll see what date i'm given though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks, but old thread lock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement