Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Coral Cup - ITV4's Trilogy of Events

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Inviere wrote: »
    Yeah I’ve noticed his maturing both on and off the table too. I’d be a fan of Kyren but I don’t think he can match Trump for raw talent. The class of 92 look set to be on the way down, Kyren isn’t there yet, there’s still no Chinese hotshots that look capable of dominating just yet, Robertson hasn’t been on fire in a good while, Selby seems to be finally wilting...I think only Mark Allen can give Trump trouble for the foreseeable future

Kyren says he is working on technical changes at the moment, seems strange to be making changes this part of season but guess he feels it will pay dividends. I get feeling with him, while he certainly doesn’t lack bottle, he tends to doubt himself a bit against the very top players. If he can overcome that, then he’s a big contender, no question about it. Some signs of a resurgence from robbo...but in truth not a lot there. I’ve higgins written off for worlds and don’t fancy MJW for repeat. Trump probably should be fsvourite now, for all the bookies love in for ronnie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Inviere

Would be very surprised if Ronnie gets to the business end of any more worlds tbh

Inviere wrote: »
    Would be very surprised if Ronnie gets to the business end of any more worlds tbh

Though he’s still the paper favourite, I’d have to agree it requires a leap of faith to see him surviving the 15 day marathon these days. I did like how pumped he was for the uk, you could see how much it meant to him to break the record and if he could bring that to sheffield, then I’d give him a great chance. It is a big if though. As soon as I hear him moaning about the conditions or whatever else, it’ll be all bets instantly off. You’ll know his focus isn’t fully there but I’d like to see him give it 110%. A trump-ronnie final is something to dream about anyway!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Not for a Ronnie fan! I'd make him an underdog to Trump, Selby, and Higgins (even on current form) in a long match. 50/50 against Allen and could easy lose to Williams if he turned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Trump dominant against Selby. He’s given the best in the game some brutal beatings recently. Very disciplined performances also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

There are rumours of there being a fix between Xiao and Yuan last night and that they were playing for a deciding frame. And tonight, Xiao looked like he was playing for a whitewash. I lumped on under 7.5 frames at 4-0 down.
    Regardless of whether the fix was in, there is always a question mark with the Chinese players. They have a completely different culture and don't necessarily see it as being wrong.

Are there day sessions today, can’t see anything listed on itv4 until the evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Bit surprised they wouldn't use the prime saturday afternoon session, but used friday afternoon instead.

Something to do with racing on ITV in the afternoon I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

zuutroy wrote: »
    Something to do with racing on ITV in the afternoon I think.

Well that worked a treat with the ban on racing now.

So are there games on that aren’t televised, or no games on until the evening?

No games this afternoon. Second s/f tonight and final tomorrow. Bit odd itv couldn’t host snooker this afternoon given its got 4 channels but not complaining as am out all day anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yates in Commentary: There's Dominick Dale in the audience.

Hendry: That's the closest he's got to a semi-final in a long time.

OUCH !

As for the match I was quite impressed with Trump in his win over Selby but once again he doesn't look like he can keep it up. Hawkins is never a walkover and I fancy him for this match the way it has started. Hawkins 2-0 up.

Judd be very happy with 2-2 at the interval here, could have been 0-4 if baz had taken his chances and had a bit more luck with a couple of splits. A lot of mileage left in this match you'd think.

Yep. Hawkins will be feeling down he didn't win at least one of those scrappy 2 frames.

• Advertisement

I thought that was a great pressure pot into the center there by Hawkins when he could have had the cue ball put back. Clinched the frame with it.

He is playing alright baz, just gotta be clinical and make it count.

Can’t call this at 4-4

Can’t call this at 4-4

Regardless, Trump's temperament is much improved. He completely dismantled Selby yesterday and Selby literally threw in the towel. And here against Baz he is showing serious bottle when he hasn't got his A game.

I'd be worried about Trump burning out here before the World's. I think he took a bit of a dive last week in Germany rather than have another big showdown with Karen, but this tournament is a bit unnecessary and could take a toll. Off to Wales next week. I wouldn't back him in that. That's Ronnie's all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

No games this afternoon. Second s/f tonight and final tomorrow. Bit odd itv couldn’t host snooker this afternoon given its got 4 channels but not complaining as am out all day anyway!

Snooker and horse-racing have a reasonable overlap in audience, so they don't normally show both at the same time. Hence Saturday afternoon is blank for most of their snooker tournaments. It's the same for most of their darts comps as well.

This is a tense final frame.

Disappointed for Hawkins. Enjoyable match though, best I’ve seen this week.

Hawkins had his chances, got very lucky early in that final frame a couple of times. No complaints really, very good winning break from trump.

Great second frame. One slip from judd but great clearance by Ali to steal it. More of this would be nice!

Maybe it’s just me but I find Phil Yates a very irritating commentator.

Maybe it’s just me but I find Phil Yates a very irritating commentator.

Not just you!

Can't stand Carter.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Can't stand Carter.

Lost his cool here in the 7th frame, no need when the frame was far from over.

“Both players share a name with US presidents and right now this table is looking like George Washington’s cherry tree.”

A Phil Yates special!

“Both players share a name with US presidents and right now this table is looking like George Washington’s cherry tree.”

A Phil Yates special!

Yep, heard that. Perfect example. Nonsense.

• Advertisement

As Neal Foulds was saying it's good to see someone turning on the style a bit and entertaining while they are red hot and winning.

I wasn't going to mention anything about commentators but since the subject has been brought up: I've decided in this final I'm not a McManus commentator fan. It's not that he talks rubbish, he's insightful, it's just the way he says it, I can't put my finger on it, and also so far today he's hardly shut up for 5 seconds. If he can't think to say something about the state of play he'll go on about the players cue action or something. If he would just tone it down a bit and then another bit.

Getting interesting!

I like McManus, and his nickname, Angles. Dunno about the cravats he wears tho.

7-6 Trump, fascinating 13th frame there. Sets the final session up nicely.

Carter seems to be inspired by Trump rather than being put off by him. Played some great trump-like pots. Impressed.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Carter seems to be inspired by Trump rather than being put off by him. Played some great trump-like pots. Impressed.

Yeah I think Carter is the kind of player who plays his best snooker when he’s fired up. Tough to call this now.

Hardly necessary to announce the players again and make them wait around, coming back out after the interval.

Hardly necessary to announce the players again and make them wait around, coming back out after the interval.

They'll be announcing them when they come back from a in-session toilet break next.

Not quite over but can’t see Ali winning 4 in a row any day of the week. Fairly commanding performance from judd this, not missed a lot. Had a fair bit of run I think, but just superior on all facets of the game.

• Advertisement

I do hope Judd can keep this up and it's not just a temporary run of form. His successes might even inspire the other top players to up their game which as we all know has been a little flat of late.

I notice trump is scheduled to play tomorrow night in the welsh open. Don’t know if they’ll change it but it’s a bit ridiculous that it should happen.

Ali Carter comes across as an awful prick. Sitting there picking at his fingernails while Judd is making his acceptance speech. Very bad form.

Yeah Ali seems to be a bit of a prick at times. But he also gets sympathy for all the bad luck he has had with his health, and the way he has fought back against that.

Yeah Ali seems to be a bit of a prick at times. But he also gets sympathy for all the bad luck he has had with his health, and the way he has fought back against that.

He had no choice about the cancer or Crohn's. He did have a choice about his political beliefs and his behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Ali is pro-Brexit, that plus his post-loss speech, and general attitude confirms prick status. Trump looked very impressive, but I still don't see him winning at the Crucible this year, unless he goes up another level. Honestly, I wouldn't even bet on him making the final.

Top 16 for the season after this tournament:

1. Mark Allen - £360,500
    2. Judd Trump - £274,500
    3. Mark Selby - £230,500
    4. Ronnie O'Sullivan - £225,000
    5. Mark Williams - £206,000
    6. Neil Robertson - £185,500
    7. Kyren Wilson - £174,000
    8. David Gilbert - £171,500
    9. Stuart Bingham - £135,000
    10. Jack Lisowski - £132,000
    11. Ali Carter £112,500
    12. Barry Hawkins - £108,000
    13. Joe Perry - £106,000
    14. Stephen Maguire - £105,500
    15. Jimmy Robertson - £105,225
    16. John Higgins - £101,000

John Higgins hanging onto his Top 16 position. The Welsh Open, Shoot-Out, and Indian Open will have an affect on rankings between now and the Top 16, Players Championship.

• Advertisement

thanks. Does anyone know how this 1 year money list is calculated? Just looking at Trump, he won the Masters, Northern Ireland and last night, and then there is the money he got for other tournaments, yet he is only on £274,500. Ronnie won the UK, and was in the final of the Masters but is showing as £225,000, again before we even add up a few quid in other tournaments as well.

Masters isn’t included on that 1 year list for obvious reasons so his real total would be closer to 400k I’d guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

thanks. Does anyone know how this 1 year money list is calculated? Just looking at Trump, he won the Masters, Northern Ireland and last night, and then there is the money he got for other tournaments, yet he is only on £274,500. Ronnie won the UK, and was in the final of the Masters but is showing as £225,000, again before we even add up a few quid in other tournaments as well.
    The 1 year list (and the official 2-year ranking list) only counts money earned from ranking events. £1 = 1 ranking point. The Masters is a non-ranking event, so Trump's £200,000 for winning and Ronnie's £90,000 runner-up prize don't count towards their ranking status, just adds to their personal bank balance.

Ronnie this season also earned £200,000 for winning the Shanghai Masters, and £100,000 for winning the Champion of Champions, again, these are non-ranking events.

The Masters, Champion of Champions, and Shanghai Masters are the three big non-ranking events.

The 1 year list (and the official 2-year ranking list) only counts money earned from ranking events. £1 = 1 ranking point. The Masters is a non-ranking event, so Trump's £200,000 for winning and Ronnie's £90,000 runner-up prize don't count towards their ranking status, just adds to their personal bank balance.

Ronnie this season also earned £200,000 for winning the Shanghai Masters, and £100,000 for winning the Champion of Champions, again, these are non-ranking events.

The Masters, Champion of Champions, and Shanghai Masters are the three big non-ranking events.

Yeah thanks, wasn't thinking of that. This Coral series being ranking despite not being a 128 open draw threw me a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,013 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ali is pro-Brexit, that plus his post-loss speech, and general attitude confirms prick status. .

What did he say in his interview?

Higgins career on a knife edge. I can't see him dropping into the qualifying pool.
    I notice trump is scheduled to play tomorrow night in the welsh open. Don’t know if they’ll change it but it’s a bit ridiculous that it should happen.

Nope seems hes on at 7pm.

Thats what Ronnie was giving out about last year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement