Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price to remove inner door/plaster over

Options
  • 12-09-2019 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for ballpark figure to remove standard size dining room door, remove architrave, skirting board under door, etc, plaster over and re-do skirting please?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Any ideas? Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

whodafunk wrote: »
    Any ideas? Thanks

Best to get 3 quotes from local trades or handymen.
    It’s quite a specific small job.

kceire wrote: »
    Best to get 3 quotes from local trades or handymen.
    It’s quite a specific small job.

Thank you. I got a quote for €700 for the work for 1 door. What do people think of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

Thank you. I got a quote for €700 for the work for 1 door. What do people think of that?

How big is the door, Double Door size?

So you just want it removed and the opening made good? €700 sounds crazy. Have they to do works on the floor too? Or does the same floor covering flow between both rooms?

Even given these crazy high prices below, you don't come near €700.

Removal & disposal of door, frame, architrave and skirting - €120
    Plastering to 300mm or less opening - €100
    Painting to 300mm or less opening - By client (you).
    Making good existing skirting - €30

That's €250.00 total and I'm being very, very generous with your money. Shop around, try local handy-men or carpenters.

My advice would be take the door, frame, architrave and skirting off yourself and dispose of it at a local dump. No matter how much damage you cause removing it won't matter because you'll be hiring a plasterer anyway. Plus you'll be painting any chipped paint afterwards yourself.

€50-100 is all that should cost you to plaster it. Even at that it's robbery.

lemonkey wrote: »
    How big is the door, Double Door size?

So you just want it removed and the opening made good? €700 sounds crazy. Have they to do works on the floor too? Or does the same floor covering flow between both rooms?

Even given these crazy high prices below, you don't come near €700.

Removal & disposal of door, frame, architrave and skirting - €120
    Plastering to 300mm or less opening - €100
    Painting to 300mm or less opening - By client (you).

That's €250.00 total and I'm being very, very generous with your money. Shop around, try local handy-men or carpenters.

My advice would be take the door, frame, architrave and skirting off yourself and dispose of it at a local dump. No matter how much damage you cause removing it won't matter because you'll be hiring a plasterer anyway. Plus you'll be painting any chipped paint afterwards yourself.

€50-100 is all that should cost you to plaster it. Even at that it's robbery.

Thanks a million for the reply. So to confirm this is just a single/standard door. So in essence I am looking to fill in the door as such to make the room bigger (there is a double door between dining and sitting room and kitchen is separately accessed). Same floor covers hall and dining room. As I see it all that needs to be re-done is the skirting on both sides. Happy to re-paint it myself. So to summarise the main part looking for help with is removal and filling it over and fix up skirting.

Could you recommend anybody? Looking to get a good job done. Happy for you to PM me if needed.

Thanks again for your reply. It's been very very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

Thanks a million for the reply. So to confirm this is just a single/standard door. So in essence I am looking to fill in the door as such to make the room bigger (there is a double door between dining and sitting room and kitchen is separately accessed). Same floor covers hall and dining room. As I see it all that needs to be re-done is the skirting on both sides. Happy to re-paint it myself. So to summarise the main part looking for help with is removal and filling it over and fix up skirting.

Could you recommend anybody? Looking to get a good job done. Happy for you to PM me if needed.

Thanks again for your reply. It's been very very helpful.

Ok with the above information lets try work it out, while again being generous with your money :p

Removal & disposal of door, frame, architrave and skirting - €100
    Stud partition to block up ope (incl. timbers, acoustic rated insulation and plasterboard) - €230
    Plastering to stud partition - €100
    Painting to new wall - By client (you).

Total - €460.

Stud partitions walls (and associated materials) are usually price around €140-150/m2. This would apply to jobs with lots of walls. I've taken your situation to give the carpenter a full day to complete the job at €180 (average day rate) and €50 for materials. Given a total of the €230.

My Plastering at €100 should be there or there abouts. I'd price the door area taking the m2 measure at €70-75 myself but this is a one off small job. You might get it cheaper.

The €30 for skirtings is more than enough.

Even at €460 it seems steep to me. I'd imagine if got a few quotations you'd get it cheaper. Personally, I'd try and do it myself. You'll find loads of videos online about how to construct a timber wall. Make a box in the door ope (head, sides and bottom) and put a full length support at every 400mm width. You can buy Rockwool insulation to fill it, which will retain heat and provide acoustic properties. Then get a plasterer to come in a put on the wall slabs and plaster it. All that's left then is skirting and painting which again you'll manage!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Seven hundred?! Insanity! Where u based op?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Seven hundred?! Insanity! Where u based op?

Yes insanity alright! Based in Dublin.

Advertisement