Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driveway paving and sealing

Options
  • 13-02-2018 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Hi

Our driveway was paved with small blocks about 6 years ago - looked great at the time but now weeds are quite bad and we are not great on maintenance.

We want to get cleaned but importantly sand laid down and sealed to minimise maintenance going fwd.

Driveway is approx. 11m x 8m.

Have got just one quote for 470eur which includes "smartseal", which might last 5 years supposedly.

Seem reasonable? I thought a lot. Maybe I should do myself if not a hard job??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Hi

Our driveway was paved with small blocks about 6 years ago - looked great at the time but now weeds are quite bad and we are not great on maintenance.

We want to get cleaned but importantly sand laid down and sealed to minimise maintenance going fwd.

Driveway is approx. 11m x 8m.

Have got just one quote for 470eur which includes "smartseal", which might last 5 years supposedly.

Seem reasonable? I thought a lot. Maybe I should do myself if not a hard job??

Sorry to be digging this up but just wondering what people's experience is of smartseal's service providers? I have received a quote of €600 from one of them to clean, resand and seal my front driveway (standard cobble lock 45sqm) and rear patio (18sqm), and am wondering if this is a reasonable fee? I am struggling to get a quote off a competitor....

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

PGL wrote: »
    Sorry to be digging this up but just wondering what people's experience is of smartseal's service providers? I have received a quote of €600 from one of them to clean, resand and seal my front driveway (standard cobble lock 45sqm) and rear patio (18sqm), and am wondering if this is a reasonable fee? I am struggling to get a quote off a competitor....

Thanks!
    My parents have a cobblelock driveway, my father brushes cheap Aldi biological powder onto it kills the weeds and he gets a couple of bags of kiln dried sand and brushes it back into the joints. Can't say what a seal costs. My advice would be to check who is behind the company. Lastly can you not seal it yourself, plenty of tutorial videos online.

My parents have a cobblelock driveway, my father brushes cheap Aldi biological powder onto it kills the weeds and he gets a couple of bags of kiln dried sand and brushes it back into the joints. Can't say what a seal costs. My advice would be to check who is behind the company. Lastly can you not seal it yourself, plenty of tutorial videos online.

I probably could do it myself but I'd imagine its time consuming (considering I've never done it before, and also because the work is weather dependent), and I don't want to end up with a "white" stain which I have read about, so if I could get a reasonable quote from a reputable company, I would prefer to outsource it. Any experience or info from others would be great, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

What is the objective of sealing it? Is it not enough to just stop the weeds coming up?

What is the objective of sealing it? Is it not enough to just stop the weeds coming up?

as far as I'm aware the purpose of the seal is to stop the weeds and also harden up the sand so that the surface can be cleaned in the future without blowing out some of the sand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,137 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Doesn’t sealing also prevent stains from oil leaks etc bleeding into the stone?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I recently got a quote for about €500.
    That was using the same smart seal product. (37 Sq. M) front garden.

I had only cleaned the brick paving but they were heavily stained and soiled from renovations and extensions. Price was to paint them using the smart seal red/black paint then seal afterwards.

The hard part is the cleaning beforehand and getting rid of the weeks in my opinion. Once that’s done, it’s diy painting.

Advertisement