Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossed Laminated Timber construction.

Options
  • 31-08-2019 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I'm starting out on self build adventure. In the early planning and design stages. (Reality vs Grand Designs stage).

I'm looking at the possibility of using CLT for the main construction, I love the look and feel of massive wood construction. I'm just wondering if in Ireland is there is a huge cost difference between using CLT or going with the more traditional closed panel system most companies seem to offer. My architect has said the cost should be minimal. But just curious to see if others have experience of it.

House will be a fairly standard 140m2 rectangle, no complicated design features.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Odelay

CLT is an interesting material, but it does not make best use of the raw material. It’s a waste of good wood, speed of building is the only advantage.

There and no companies making it in Ireland, pretty sure there is none in the uk so you’d have to go to mainland Europe.

I think you’d be better off with the closed panel.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Odelay wrote: »
    There and no companies making it in Ireland, pretty sure there is none in the uk so you’d have to go to mainland Europe..
    Not true. But forum charter asks that companies are not named

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Odelay

BryanF wrote: »

I’m corrected on that point. There is a suppler in Ireland, but I don’t believe it is the best use of the raw material.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Odelay wrote: »
    but I don’t believe it is the best use of the raw material.
    nobody disputed that claim. However i wonder when you compare against say a block built house would the laminated timber have lower embodied energy

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kayad

As the the CLT panel would be the internal finish aswell as being structural element of the building, and to a lesser extent also part (minor) of the insulation, I would see this as a good use of the material as it replaces multiple other materials that would normally be used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Kayad, do you mean CLT or glulam?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kayad

Lumen wrote: »
    Kayad, do you mean CLT or glulam?

I was asking about CLT

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

Kayad wrote: »
    As the the CLT panel would be the internal finish aswell as being structural element of the building, and to a lesser extent also part (minor) of the insulation, I would see this as a good use of the material as it replaces multiple other materials that would normally be used.
    I just came across this discussion now so very late but another positive aspect of CLT is that if relatively fast growing managed forestry is used it is a way of sequestering carbon for a long time which helps with climate change. We built an energy efficient timber framed house in 2001 and I would certainly consider CLT if I were doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭moldy_sea

BryanF wrote: »

There is an importer here. I don't think anyone is making it here. And that is very important difference. Happy to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

moldy_sea wrote: »
    There is an importer here. I don't think anyone is making it here. And that is very important difference. Happy to be corrected.

It seems like CLT production in the UK is also limited but forecast to increase.

This from August 2018

“MultiPly is a pioneering project for the Scottish organisations involved, firstly because nobody in the UK has made CLT with hardwood before, and as far as we are aware, this is the largest quantity of CLT that has ever been produced in this country. Most CLT that has previously been manufactured in the UK is in small quantities for research projects, with larger amounts used for building generally having to be imported. It’s great that Scotland now has the capability and flexibility at our Innovation Factory to produce CLT in larger quantities for innovative collaboration projects such as this one.”

https://projectscot.com/2018/08/csic-produces-first-ever-hardwood-cross-laminated-timber-in-uk/

• Advertisement
Advertisement