Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1m for forever home, where to live that's commutable to Dublin?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Currently tailoring my career and experience especially to give me opportunities back home. Even if I could earn more in Dublin it wouldn't interest me, aside from the fact it would have to be considerably more to offset the cost of living increase I just wouldn't want to live there.

definitely preferable if you can work it

500k gets you a mansion most places outside of dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Baybay

Sleepy wrote: »
    I used to live very near that and it's a beautiful area but quite isolated. We loved it but it's certainly not for everyone and you'd definitely need 2 cars. A lot of your neighbours are likely to be holiday homes too so if there's kids in consideration, they might find themselves lacking in friends to play with for much of the year.

If it's my link to the house in Brittas Bay you're talking about, Sleepy, things seem to have changed.
    Friends who live in the area say the local school is great so I guess there'd be plenty of friends to be found there!
    It sounds like the holiday home brigade favour the likes of Jack's Hole or the purpose built villages more now too.
    For me, it'd be all about so much golf in such close proximity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

130 posts later......The OP has one post on Boards so I'd say they've forgotten they even started this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Million euro id say get you any area you want

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Because a big house and plenty of space is more important to some people than being close to a city centre. I couldn't spend the amount of money that some of them houses are looking when I could build twice the house, better in every way to my specs for half the cost along with having a massive garage, a lot of privacy, no worries about noise either hearing others or others hearing mine, imagine paying 1m for a house and you can't have a proper house party with loud music or can't turn your surround sound to the last watching a film because the neighbours are too close.

I lived in a very rural area for the first 24 years of my life and as never felt inconvenienced by it, 30 mins drive to a city, 15 mins drive to the local town for shops etc sure people in cities spend as long walking to the "close by" amenities. We had to be brought everywhere by car etc and it never bothered us or our parents and once I hit 17 I was driving everywhere myself. I'm living in a city centre for the last few years but could never settle down here properly and will return rural (home area preferably) as soon as I can (and I mean pure countryside not a small town or anything like that). Just going home at weekends its so nice to get out of the city.

That being said I won't ever be living within an asses roar of Dublin and you don't have to be anywhere near as far out from other Irish cities to get serious houses for decent money in lovely rural settings.
    Yes but you always fail to understand that having to drive 15 minutes to the local shops would truly suck for a lot of people.

You value having a load of space, others value having loads on their doorstep and not having to get in a car to go further than your garden fence. You value tranquility, others prefer the hustle and bustle of urban life.

Your idea of a serious house is not the same as everyone elses. A 6 bedroom huge gaff in the middle of nowhere has absolutely zero appeal for me. Having to drive 15 minutes to the shops would be absolutely awful for me.

So while you might be able to build a house that's twice as big in the country that does not mean it is twice as good. As with everything there are tradeoffs, and choosing to live in rural Ireland is a pretty big lifestyle change for anyone not used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

I'd be aiming for something like this:

http://www.sherryfitz.ie/residential/for-sale/49548

Large, lovely quiet street, near town and a lot of bus routes, nice area, beautiful old design, decent back garden.
    awec wrote: »
    Yes but you always fail to understand that having to drive 15 minutes to the local shops would truly suck for a lot of people.

And for most very rural dwellers in this country, the city is far more than 30 minutes drive away. And yeah, I'd much prefer hopping on a bus into town and spending that 15-20 minutes reading and zoning out rather than driving. Meanwhile, I can pop downstairs to Centra for my milk and don't have to drive to get it. I grew up in the countryside a few miles outside a small market town in the west of Ireland. Hated every minute of it. Hated the dependence of cars. Hated that I couldn't walk to the shop to get simple things like milk. I'd also agree that I don't understand the appeal of owning a mini-mansion. The house I've linked about there is plenty big enough. Well, I might like a little bit bigger if I was going for my dream house but not that much bigger, to be honest. And as someone who hates gardening, the appeal of having a big garden is lost on me.

And the biggest advantage of living in Dublin or Cork to a lesser extent - easy access to the airport! No big planning to get there in time for your flight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ush1 wrote: »
    Not a huge distance between them though is there? 15 minute walking at most?

It depends on what part of Grand Canal Dock but 15-20 minutes walk would do it.
    It is an extra 40 minutes commute a day though if you do walk it.
    In the IFSC I could leave my house at 8 and get train,do créche drop and still be at my desk at 9/9:05.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Baybay wrote: »
    My current favourite:

https://www.daft.ie/11222215

That house is amazing but far to remote for someone with kid.

I don't think I could deal with getting kids in to the car to drive 15 minutes every time we needed milk. We live about 200m from the local shop,7 minutes walk to the train,3/4 minutes walk to the buse,7 minutes walk to the school.
    I would love a bigger house,but it is hard to give up on location.
    I can understand wanting to live out the country but I would end up being a permanent taxi service and this way it will also be easier to let them out as teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I don't think I could deal with getting kids in to the car to drive 15 minutes every time we needed milk. We live about 200m from the local shop,7 minutes walk to the train,3/4 minutes walk to the buse,7 minutes walk to the school.
    I would love a bigger house,but it is hard to give up on location.
    I can understand wanting to live out the country but I would end up being a permanent taxi service and this way it will also be easier to let them out as teenagers.
    Not to mention that a 15 minute walk to the shop is a lot healthier than a 15 minute drive. Being able to walk to school is wonderful for kids. It does not have to be Dublin, though, there are many smaller towns where this is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Elliott S wrote: »
    I'd be aiming for something like this:

http://www.sherryfitz.ie/residential/for-sale/49548

Large, lovely quiet street, near town and a lot of bus routes, nice area, beautiful old design, decent back garden.
    Fabulous location but a truly basic house for the money. Decent is a nice way of describing the garden too.

If I were investing 1m in a house, I don't think I could live with myself if that house was the return. The location is great, but it doesn't justify the price on the property given the traffic congestion in Drumcondra and the interruption on match days and music gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Baybay wrote: »
    My current favourite:

https://www.daft.ie/11222215

There's no character. It's just a plain big house imo.

Someone thing this is what I would love
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/sutton/sunnyside-13-station-road-sutton-dublin-965826/

There's no character. It's just a plain big house imo.

Someone thing this is what I would love
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/sutton/sunnyside-13-station-road-sutton-dublin-965826/
    It's amazing what 1m can't buy you in Dublin.

Nice house. But nothing spectacular. And a serious lack of space and privacy for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Are some people expecting a 10 bed mansion with a garage on a few acres in the middle of Dame Street or something?

You're competing with lots of other people in Dublin who have lots of money as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Essentially, with a million euros you can buy a nice urban house or a nice rural house. But having a million euros - having ten million euros - doesn't get you out of having to make the choice between urban and rural.

Both have their strengths. An urban property gives you a short commute; convenient access to shops, restaurants, cultural facilities; a wider choice of schools; better public transport; less reliance on cars; a livelier neighbourhood. A rural property offers you a more spacious environment; quiet; convenient access to countryside and/or wilderness areas; a larger garden or other space around the house; a greater opportunity to build your own house, if that's what you want to do.

Which of these you prefer is a matter of taste. Others may disagree with your taste, which is great; they won't be competing for the houses that you want to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Rural living is just not for everyone. I know I certainly wouldnt be able to handle it. My personal preference would be for a nice 4/5 bed in a leafy suburb somewhere along either the dart of green luas, with good parking.

Some of the big country piles that have been linked to would do nothing for me. I'd feel isolated, totally daunted by the level of upkeep required and wouldn't know what to do about looking after the land/large gardens that they come with. Yes, you get more bang for your buck in terms of square footage, but the costs of maintaining properties like that must be hugh. Lighting and heating are one thing (I know you can fit solar or whatever but thats a big upfront cost) but also how do you cut that amount of grass? I live in a managed development where my own outdoor space is paved, and any grass is communal, so adjusting to managing a few acres would be too much. Also, I couldnt handle the dependency on cars. I like that I have other options, be that bus, luas taxi or simply walking whenever I want to go somewhere - its very liberating.

I have colleagues living in some of the commuter towns mentioned who say things like "oh I can be in Dublin in 20-30 mins) but thats just not true. They can hit the M50 in that time and thats not the same. Obviously traffic is a factor but I can leave my house and be in Stephens Green in between 12-15 minutes on a Saturday morning if I leave at 10am. Thats invaluable to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Rural living is just not for everyone. I know I certainly wouldnt be able to handle it. My personal preference would be for a nice 4/5 bed in a leafy suburb somewhere along either the dart of green luas, with good parking.

Some of the big country piles that have been linked to would do nothing for me. I'd feel isolated, totally daunted by the level of upkeep required and wouldn't know what to do about looking after the land/large gardens that they come with. Yes, you get more bang for your buck in terms of square footage, but the costs of maintaining properties like that must be hugh. Lighting and heating are one thing (I know you can fit solar or whatever but thats a big upfront cost) but also how do you cut that amount of grass? I live in a managed development where my own outdoor space is paved, and any grass is communal, so adjusting to managing a few acres would be too much. Also, I couldnt handle the dependency on cars. I like that I have other options, be that bus, luas taxi or simply walking whenever I want to go somewhere - its very liberating.

I have colleagues living in some of the commuter towns mentioned who say things like "oh I can be in Dublin in 20-30 mins) but thats just not true. They can hit the M50 in that time and thats not the same. Obviously traffic is a factor but I can leave my house and be in Stephens Green in between 12-15 minutes on a Saturday morning if I leave at 10am. Thats invaluable to me :)

How much space do people need? It's one thing I rationalised when buying my house was that in actual fact, you don't need that much space. Unless people are planning on a huge family you tend to fill up space with useless stuff anyway.

The other thing is generally if you live near the city you'll spend less time in your house anyway which I think is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ush1 wrote: »
    How much space do people need? It's one thing I rationalised when buying my house was that in actual fact, you don't need that much space. Unless people are planning on a huge family you tend to fill up space with useless stuff anyway.

The other thing is generally if you live near the city you'll spend less time in your house anyway which I think is a good thing.
    Again, this is a matter of personal preference. Some people look at a big house and see all that extra cleaning. Others see the possibility of giving a room entirely over to their exercise equipment, or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Some of the big country piles that have been linked to would do nothing for me. I'd feel isolated, totally daunted by the level of upkeep required and wouldn't know what to do about looking after the land/large gardens that they come with. Yes, you get more bang for your buck in terms of square footage, but the costs of maintaining properties like that must be hugh. Lighting and heating are one thing (I know you can fit solar or whatever but thats a big upfront cost) but also how do you cut that amount of grass?
    First world problems!

You buy a ride on or pay someone to cut it.

There is a whole industry dedicated to servicing outdoor space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

You can get beautiful properties in Dublin, with land, and not have to commute from Maynooth ect

This house in Malahide for example. The house is 2,200 square meters, while the site is 1.2 acres. It's a 5 bed, 2 bath in Malahide.

If I had the OP's budget, I'd be putting an offer of about 900K for this house, but I would be prepared to pay 1million.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    First world problems!

You buy a ride on or pay someone to cut it.

There is a whole industry dedicated to servicing outdoor space.

Well they're not my first world problems, as I don't plan on living in the country any time soon.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd cut your grass for a price but thats an extra cost and hassle straight away. I'd rather just have a low maintenance house and garden that didn't require hiring people or expensive equipment to keep it.

Clearly that might be totally up someones ally, but theres definitely a bit of a false economy in buying a bigger house in the country just because you can get a lot for your money.

Fabulous location but a truly basic house for the money. Decent is a nice way of describing the garden too.

If I were investing 1m in a house, I don't think I could live with myself if that house was the return. The location is great, but it doesn't justify the price on the property given the traffic congestion in Drumcondra and the interruption on match days and music gigs.

Well, location is what you are paying for. As this thread shows, you can't have both!

For a much larger house with bigger garden in an inner suburb of Dublin, you'll be paying a lot more than a million. People seem especially unrealisitic about what you can buy in Dublin 4 and Dublin 6 for the money!

Oh, and that is my ideal garden. Believe it or not, not everyone wants a big one!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd cut your grass for a price but thats an extra cost and hassle straight away. I'd rather just have a low maintenance house and garden that didn't require hiring people or expensive equipment to keep it.
    It really isn't hassle to have someone come round and cut your grass while you're at work. It is more money, but anyone spending a million should be able to afford a bit of gardening.

An EA explained to me that town and country are two totally different markets with completely distinct sets of buyers. There's no point showing a country house to a townie, it's like salad to a cat.
    You can get beautiful properties in Dublin, with land, and not have to commute from Maynooth ect

This house in Malahide for example. The house is 2,200 square meters, while the site is 1.2 acres. It's a 5 bed, 2 bath in Malahide.

If I had the OP's budget, I'd be putting an offer of about 900K for this house, but I would be prepared to pay 1million.

Yes, it looks lovely but has been for sale for ages. I don't know why it hasn't been bought, maybe there's something wrong with it or it's not really for sale. Or because it's in Portmarnock not Malahide.

It really isn't hassle to have someone come round and cut your grass while you're at work. It is more money, but anyone spending a million should be able to afford a bit of gardening.

An EA explained to me that town and country are two totally different markets with completely distinct sets of buyers. There's no point showing a country house to a townie, it's like salad to a cat.

Well consider me that cat making a confused/unimpressed face at a salad! Seriously though, the land would just be one factor to me, its the whole thing that I'd find daunting. Every job becomes bigger, cleaning, painting, other maintenance.... I'd end up needing a small staff!
    Yes, it looks lovely but has been for sale for ages. I don't know why it hasn't been bought, maybe there's something wrong with it or it's not really for sale. Or because it's in Portmarnock not Malahide.

Definitely not Malahide as I'd understand it! :D In Malahide proper that would cost a lot more than €900k.

It takes longer to get into Dublin CC from Malahide than from Maynooth!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

It takes longer to get into Dublin CC from Malahide than from Maynooth!

Maynooth's about 40 minutes on the train from Connolly; Malahide's about 30 minutes on the more frequent DART. Though the house above isn't even vaguely close to Malahide train station, and isn't even particularly close to the Portmarnock one.

Well, location is what you are paying for. As this thread shows, you can't have both!
    Location isn't even that great though if you take into account the traffic congestion on the Drumcondra road, the consequent air pollution, and of course the inconvenience of matches and music events at Croke Park. A lot of negatives with regards the location there.
    Oh, and that is my ideal garden. Believe it or not, not everyone wants a big one!
    Well, it's not even a mid size garden really. And not much privacy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

House location is a personal thing. Some like semi rural, some like city living.

But honestly folks, if I had the dough this is my dream home. A bit dated, but so much potential. Look at the setting and only a few miles from the city.

OMG. Please, someone buy it for me. On the banks of the Liffey, good bit of land, and in the Strawberry Beds. Lovely, sigh....

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/bungalows-for-sale/strawberry-beds/riverside-lodge-lower-road-strawberry-beds-dublin-1273563/

Location isn't even that great though if you take into account the traffic congestion on the Drumcondra road, the consequent air pollution, and of course the inconvenience of matches and music events at Croke Park. A lot of negatives with regards the location there.

I've lived much closer than that to Croke Park (Iona Road isn't close enough to be closed off for games and concerts), and it wasn't much of an issue at all as it's well handled. This is all subjective anyway. Having lived in the area for a long time and knowing the pitfalls, I think it's a great location. As for air pollution; it wouldn't be any worse than any part of Dublin that is near a busy road (in other words, every suburb), even those leafy southside areas.

And, once again, that is my ideal garden. It's almost as if people have different preferences or something!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

This thread has largely been derailed and with no response from the OP it's time to call it a day. OP please pm me or one of the other forum mods to reopen if you'd like to reply to any of the myriad suggestions

Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement