Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crooked Teeth..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Another update :)

After several consultations with different orthodontists, they recommended that for me to even be able to get braces I will need several teeth from my top and lower arches removed to make room for movement. They then advised braces for around 18 months...

A big decision for me to make.

The removal of teeth scares me, especially more than one tooth.

It's not as straight forward as I was hoping..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Having to get teeth removed for braces is really common, overcrowding is one of the major reasons for having crooked teeth in the first place.

I had to get four teeth out before I got my braces, two each on top and bottom. It really is no biggie, and I say that as someone who'd never had a tooth out before that and was *really* apprehensive. They did mine in two sessions.

Please don't let this put you off getting your braces, OP, it really will be one of the best decisions you'll ever make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

I had some teeth removed when I got my teeth straightened as a teenager - I can't remember how many for sure at this stage but I think it was two at the top and one in the bottom. You definitely wouldn't notice if you saw my teeth now. I usually only get reminded of it when I'm at the dentist and I hear the word "missing" when they go through the list. I know that the thoughts of having teeth removed is terrifying but please don't let it put you off. Modern dental techniques are so good, it's not that bad. If it terrifies you beyond belief, some dentists now do these procedures under sedation. It's more expensive and you'll need someone to bring you home afterwards. It's commonly used for removing wisdom teeth. If you feel you can't face undergoing the extractions under local anaesthetic, it's an option.

As for the missing teeth, you'll be having braces fitted on your other teeth not long after this anyway. If anyone notices the gaps, they'll also see the braces and know the teeth aren't gone through neglect. It won't be too long before your other teeth start to straighten and those gaps start to fill in. Imagine how good they'll be starting to look in 6 months time? If you do nothing, your teeth will still be in a mess in 6 months time. If your teeth need 18 months of work and some extractions they must be in a right mess. So what do you have to lose by taking steps to make them right? Please don't let your self-consciousness about this ruin this great opportunity to sort your teeth out. As you can see from this thread, you're getting nothing but encouragement from everybody. It is a good thing to do for yourself and a short space of time in the grand scale of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Another voice here to add to the "just do it!" crowd, OP!

I had train tracks from the ages of 16-19, when I was very shy and self-conscious already. I had to get my two upper canines removed, so obviously I had gaps for the first few months, but I honestly cannot even remember that now. I came out with a great smile.

I let my retainer wearing slip a little, and my lower teeth went crooked, so last year I got Invisalign, even though my teeth were already pretty ok, I didn't care. I now have excellent white teeth and a great smile, if I do say so myself :D It honestly does absolute wonders for your confidence.

My extra treatment last year was pure vanity, at 32, but I didn't care! It will improve the quality of your life so much, OP.

A very good friend of mine got train tracks a couple of years ago at about age 30/31, and it has also done wonders for her smile and confidence.

No one cares. Anyone who does care is an asshole. I would have absolutely no issues dating a guy with train tracks either.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

You should be able to claim tax back on the cost as a medical expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Might not be as straight forward as you'd hoped OP, but just another little hurdle to overcome which will eventually result in you having the perfect smile. I had a tooth removed as a young teenager to have my braces fitted, and I even got braces a second time in my early 20's as I let the retainer wearing slip and had to wear them again for around 18 months. 18 months is nothing! The time will fly by, you won't regret it in the slightest, and you'll look back and think how happy you were you did it for yourself. It's a no brainer; just do it and you'll never look back! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I know lots of people who got braces as adults it wasn't even expensive.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

OP, as others have said, it is often the case that some teeth have to be extracted, due to overcrowding and so that the braces can do the needful. It's probably just that you were not expecting that, but it is quite usual.

You have made the first steps, in the right direction, so try not to let that put you off.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

OP, as others have said, it is often the case that some teeth have to be extracted, due to overcrowding and so that the braces can do the needful. It's probably just that you were not expecting that, but it is quite usual.

Maybe you should break things down a bit and have a think about what it is that's stopping you from taking the next step. You got a bit of a shock, didn't you? Losing teeth is an emotive thing and even if there is no room for them, the thoughts of them not being there is a wrench.

As I said before, having them removed isn't as horrible an experience as it would've been years ago. Dentists these days aren't the butchers our parents encountered and most of them are very good with nervous patients. Sedation is a costly option but if you think you'll have some sort of nervous breakdown in the dentist's chair, it might be worth looking into. Talk to your dentist and see what they have to advise.

Recovering from having teeth removed is pretty straightforward if you follow the dentist's instructions. I had my wisdom teeth removed as an adult and was fine afterwards. I didn't feel any pain at all because of the painkillers I was told to take and things healed up quickly.

Your biggest obstacle is you. You're terrified of what people will think of you. So what if you won't have as many teeth in your mouth while you're getting them straighened? It's all temporary and will be worth it in the end. If you think about how teeth go about being straightened, it doesn't happen overnight. You're not going to be going around with a mouth of mad crooked teeth for 17 months, before them becoming gloriously straight weeks before the braces come off. No, by the time you get down to the last few months before those braces come off, your teeth will be starting to look pretty fine. Please don't let your fear stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

another one who can confirm it's very common to have teeth removed to get the rest straight with braces. Had it done in my teenage years, it's defo worth it. So don't let this 'teeth removal' scare you off..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

Think about why you are here considering your options.

you were not happy with the situation as it stands. Now you have found out exactly what it will take to get the mouth sorted. So its a case of weighing up your options. Deciding if the short term pain, and expense is worth the long term benefits. Many other posters here have shared their experiences and it should not cause many eyebrows to be raised at work, and indeed people who take positive actions are usually viewed more favourably in my experience.

How many posters here have said they regret getting their teeth done? So as for downsides - there are very few -apart from the expense.
    And if you re-read your original post, you will see you mentioned that your mental health is being affected by your self image.

IMO yu just need to gird your courage, and sort out finance/loan options you can afford, and get this done! You will consder this one of the wiser choices you have ever made, within a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Pistachio19

Another update :)

After several consultations with different orthodontists, they recommended that for me to even be able to get braces I will need several teeth from my top and lower arches removed to make room for movement. They then advised braces for around 18 months...

A big decision for me to make.

The removal of teeth scares me, especially more than one tooth.

It's not as straight forward as I was hoping..

My son was 16 getting his braces. He had 4 teeth out in preparation - done over 2 visits. His braces were put on a few weeks later and the orthodontist was surprised at how fast they moved into place. He only had them on for 13 months in the end. So you may not even need them for 18 months and having teeth out in preparation is very common. Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

just to add, it's completely understandable you are afraid of getting teeth removed, I think everybody is.

important is, get a real pro to do this. don't go to the next best around your place or anything like that for convenience. get recommendations from people you trust or people who've got teeth removed recently and have positive recommendations.

I speak from experience when my two wisdom teeth were removed. the guy didn't speak a word with me, just sat down, got to business and when I thought now it begins, it was already over..:) it took him about 7 minutes to get two wisdom teeth out. and there wasn't much of a wound, just a small cut each side, almost no pain afterwards and within a week or ten days everything was fine.

Hey all,

I'm quite determined to get the work done at this stage. I have a follow-up appointment on the 28th. The Orthodontist will confirm the official work that's required and a plan.

I'm not a candidate for Invisalign but I'd be happy with the clear braces, they seem nice and discreet for me.

I have been planning for my dental work. I was smart enough to start saving early in the year so money is not an issue. I was expecting a 5,000 bill at the very least so I've saved a little over which should cover me.

He quoted me over 3,000 and 20% tax reimbursement so it's not as expensive as I thought tbh.

Hey all,

I'm quite determined to get the work done at this stage. I have a follow-up appointment on the 28th. The Orthodontist will confirm the official work that's required and a plan.

I'm not a candidate for Invisalign but I'd be happy with the clear braces, they seem nice and discreet for me.

I have been planning for my dental work. I was smart enough to start saving early in the year so money is not an issue. I was expecting a 5,000 bill at the very least so I've saved a little over which should cover me.

He quoted me over 3,000 and 20% tax reimbursement so it's not as expensive as I thought tbh.

Ask for a discount if you pay it all upfront rather than monthly, given you have it saved. While my son got his done through the HSE, we paid for our daughters. They were the metal train tracks and the price was €3000 to do both top and bottom teeth. They gave a discount of 5% for paying upfront and then we claimed the 20% tax back so it worked out at €2660.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Hi, I’m in my 30s and got braces a few years ago. Totally worth it, the difference is incredible. If you can afford it I would recommend it

Hi Folks,

Update: After months of waiting for appointments, moulds, photos, x-rays and consultations I will be finally getting my braces on the 10th of October :)

The Ortho believes I may get away with wearing braces without any teeth removed (although this may be a possibility in the future depending on my teeths movement)

Kind of excited but nervous at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MildThing84

Well done.

You wont look back. It will be the best thing youve done - trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Well done, it will definitely be worth it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

That's great news OP. Fair play to you. :D

• Advertisement

Great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Got braces at 36. Best thing I ever did for myself. I used to cover my teeth with my lips or make sure I was talking when a photo was taken - now I smile all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Good luck op, the time will fly in and you will be delighted you did it.... just make sure to wear your retainer!!!! The orthodontist will give you the lecture themselves but just please, heed the lecture! I didnt and I regret it. The retainer is just as important as the braces!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Righty

Hi Folks,

Update: After months of waiting for appointments, moulds, photos, x-rays and consultations I will be finally getting my braces on the 10th of October :)

The Ortho believes I may get away with wearing braces without any teeth removed (although this may be a possibility in the future depending on my teeths movement)

Kind of excited but nervous at the same time.

Hey op, i just got mine on a month ago, 22 year old male, first week was brutal after getting them on but you grow accustomed to them, also it's the perfect time to get them with the whole mask wearing situation, nobody even knows I have them on at work. Any questions you have feel free to fire away, but trust me it's worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Hi All,

I was hoping to get advice for the above issue.

I have what I would describe as extremely crooked teeth, lower and especially my two front teeth.

I'm now 28 and fear I have or am developing a mental health issue because of it.

I think about my crooked teeth all the time, avoid smiling when people are looking at me and constantly pull, mess and examine my teeth in the mirror, screens, phone etc..

Whenever I see others with good teeth it embarrasses me and makes me think of how bad mine are.

Would anyone have advice on how to get over this? It seems to make me more paranoid about myself as time goes on.

I was in the same position as you. I decided to get Invisalign in November 2019. All done now and I am really happy with my smile. Not hollywood perfect but I really wish I did it a long time ago. I feel much more confident now.

The Invisalign is great as people usually don't notice them in your mouth. And you quickly stop caring wether they do or not anyway. Your dental hygiene will improve too as you'll brush more. My teeth have never been healthier or whiter now.

100% recommended. I absolutely urge you to see an orthodontist who will put your mind at ease about the whole process.

Edit: just saw your recent update that you'll get braces. This will be one of the best decisions you ever made.

Remember to take before photos.. that's how you'll really appreciate your perfect smile when you can look back on them

Advertisement