Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non-Christmas Songs that remind you of Christmas

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭com1

I like this thread...

For me its the album ‘Fly like an Eagle’ by The Steve Millar Band. Full album! My sister got it for christmas one year from one of her friends and played it on christmas eve. It has become the sound track to Christmas for me. ever Since i have made it my mission to listen to the album on christmas eve. Even if i have to go out and sit in the car.

Any time i hear a track i can close my eyes and i am back in my childhood living room with the christmas tree twinkling and gawdy kids decorations hanging from the lights Always brings a smileðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭DvB

com1 wrote: »
    Any time i hear a track i can close my eyes and i am back in my childhood living room with the christmas tree twinkling and gawdy kids decorations hanging from the lights Always brings a smileðŸ˜

Its great when something can do that & bring you right back.

Nice post that one.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Loughc wrote: »
    No I haven't seen it yet but it was on my planner.... :P

You're not joking are you :eek: :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

DvB wrote: »

Nice post that one.

Merry Christmas Everyone and Band Aid are the two songs that do that for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I call shenanigans, because Clarkson never knows the answer! :pac:

DvB wrote: »

Nice post that one.

Bing Crosby's White Christmas. My Dad use to play his Christmas hits every Christmas morning when we came back from church. On a record player no less!
    Posy wrote: »

I know, he is useless however it was a motor sport question, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TRS30 wrote: »
    You're not joking are you :eek: :o

Not joking :(
    Posy wrote: »

This is soooo true, he really annoys me as the host :o

Loughc wrote: »
    Not joking :(

This is soooo true, he really annoys me as the host :o

Sorry!

While I liked him on TG, I haven't warmed to him as a host either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Christmas Day 1976.....playing with my Kitchen Set that I got from Santy while this was on the BBC radio/tv.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

This is the most Christmassy non Christmas song ever.........and before you point out what it sounds like it's the same band ha

https://youtu.be/dPSZJ3xH5sA

• Advertisement

First Christmas music channel off and running as of this morning, let's see what non Christmas tunes make the cut this year!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Phil Collins - You Can’t Hurry Love

The mammy bought me a Walkman in 1983 for Xmas and with it Now That’s What I Call Music on tape. It was the first track and it seemed like a space age thing having music walking round!!!

Happy memories!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I have a wife and four daughters. Every Christmas morning we put the Christmas songs on at breakfast and they stay on or most of the day. It used to be a case that by the time dinner came along we were sick of Christmas songs and there would be discussion and debate about what to play, but ultimately the kids would decide.
    Long story short we now exclusively paly Linkin Park at the Christmas dinner table. It has become ritual / family tradition. So for us Linkin Park fits the bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,819 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The JCB song really remind me of Christmas 2005. I was in secondary school and we were all so innocent!and everything was so prosperous at the time.
    We used send this, crazy frog, etc to one another using our Bluetooth, I’m almost certain there was another thing we used use as well but I can’t think of the name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy2020

It has to be any song used by John Lewis. In particular Elbows Golden Slumbers. Also Lily Allen Somewhere Only.We Know. I also love The Winter Song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Just realised the song God Only Knows by the Beach Boys has serious Christmas vibes. Cheers Love Actually!

Too Lost In You by the Sugababes. Always reminds me of Love Actually which is an exceedingly Christmas film!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Heroditas wrote: »
    Too Lost In You by the Sugababes. Always reminds me of Love Actually which is an exceedingly Christmas film!

Love this, been listening to it since during the week, love the Sugababes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Batgurl wrote: »
    Just realised the song God Only Knows by the Beach Boys has serious Christmas vibes. Cheers Love Actually!

Wow never actually twigged that before love it :)

• Advertisement

Another song that features in Love Actually. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Would John Lennon 'Imagine' count?

Even with the line about' no religion', it is still a message of reflection, an aspect of life that we tend to do at Christmas. Even if the 'Christ' aspect is not nearly as relevant as it used to be.

It's an atheist Christmas message - if that's not too much of a contradiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Another one for me is Perfect Day, the cover Charity Single by the BBC for Children in Need
    As I recall it came out in November and it always makes me think of Christmas

otnomart wrote: »
    Another one for me is Perfect Day, the cover Charity Single by the BBC for Children in Need

Unfortunately that song will always be associated with the film 'Trainspotting' for me. And as nice a version that one is I still jump straight to that story when I hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

otnomart wrote: »

Came out in February I'm pretty sure ?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

Wow! I hadn't seen that version of the song in years. A little pull on the heartstrings seeing Bowie, Lou Reed and Dr John amongst others who have since moved on to the Great Gig in the Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

No surprises by radiohead and mad world by Gary jules, couple of cherry ones there

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

Talking Heads - This Must be the Place (Naïve Melody) always makes me feel warm and Christmassy. <3

https://youtu.be/JccW-mLdNe0

Talking Heads - This Must be the Place (Naïve Melody) always makes me feel warm and Christmassy. <3

https://youtu.be/JccW-mLdNe0

I love that song! I have it on several Spotify playlists, I don't associate it with Christmas though, it's more Summery to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

I love that song! I have it on several Spotify playlists, I don't associate it with Christmas though, it's more Summery to me :)

Its such a wonderful song. Always makes me feel happy! I don't know why I associate it with Christmas, just always have. This version is more Christmassy though:

https://youtu.be/6qWJPglDkB0

Also fleet foxes white winter hymnal is super Christmassy too.

https://youtu.be/DrQRS40OKNE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Any song that reminds me Christmas is a Christmas song to me, so keane song Lily Allen, yes.

• Advertisement

Kanye West - Runaway

From one of my favourite (modern) Christmas movies - The Night Before. If you haven’t seen it and have a dark sense of humour, I’d thoroughly recommend.

Lyrics are gonna hit hard this Christmas if we are still in lockdown though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Kanye West - Runaway

From one of my favourite (modern) Christmas movies - The Night Before. If you haven’t seen it and have a dark sense of humour, I’d thoroughly recommend.

Lyrics are gonna hit hard this Christmas if we are still in lockdown though.
    This?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    This?

Yep! So few of my friends have heard of it, never mind watched it. It’s up there with Bad Santa and Elf for me!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yep! So few of my friends have heard of it, never mind watched it. It’s up there with Bad Santa and Elf for me!

I watched it last year. It is very good. Crude but I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

From While You Were Sleeping...

Advertisement