Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars: Only diverse films will be considered for best picture

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ding ding. The thread has been Godwin'ed. Better close it down now :rolleyes:

It's the Oscars. They've always been in their own little bubble & about 2 steps offset from reality. It's the one aspect of popular culture & Hollywood that deserves the "who cares?" response.

The winners are almost ALWAYS vanilla, perfunctory, manipulative at best, and not anywhere near the "Best" of that particular year. If they want to include some inclusion elements in the qualification - then go for it. It's not like the standard before now has been stellar.

To put in the most snobbish way I can: the Oscars are the awards ceremony for people who watch 3 films a year, and don't know or care for the medium in general. Useful for clickbait headlines and TMZ adjacent blather, but not remotely a barometer of American Cinema :)

I mostly agree with you, but I do think that the Oscars tend to have a big effect on the movement of the industry. They influence the execs at the top of studios, they influence the mid-level stuff that broader audiences become aware of (and thus, profitability), and they somewhat influence the people who make movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Well, at least its better than the Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film award. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

There is no Oscar for the best picture anymore , only an Oscar for the best diverse picture

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

eirmail wrote: »
    There is no Oscar for the best picture anymore , only an Oscar for the best diverse picture

Did you even read the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

This is the same Hollywood that Bill Maher commented on “The dirty little secret is most movies are made now with an eye to the foreign market, and Asians really are racist.”

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    This is the same Hollywood that Bill Maher commented on “The dirty little secret is most movies are made now with an eye to the foreign market, and Asians really are racist.”

What's that got to do with anything?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Did you even read the article?

I read it , the best picture award is to no longer be for the best picture. It will only be for the best picture that also satisfies their diversity criteria. In other words it will be the best diverse picture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How often is the Best Picture ever given to the best picture?

Leaving aside the inherent subjectivity of film, the Oscars are often the blandest, safest choice. Nothing of value is lost here, except the energy to rage about it.

I read it , the best picture award is to no longer be for the best picture. It will only be for the best picture that also satisfies their diversity criteria. In other words it will be the best diverse picture.

K

Do you not think a diverse picture can be the best?

These criteria will not hinder filmmaking or stop filmmakers telling non-diverse stories.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Do you not think a diverse picture can be the best?

These criteria will not hinder filmmaking or stop filmmakers telling non-diverse stories.

Of course a diverse picture could be best, that is why they should leave the criteria as they are now. If a diverse picture wins the best picture award now it would have genuinely have won the best picture award.

Of course a diverse picture could be best, that is why they should leave the criteria as they are now. If a diverse picture wins the best picture award now it would have genuinely have won the best picture award.

And it will have genuinely won after this change. We get it, you hate diversity!

MJohnston wrote: »
    And it will have genuinely won after this change. We get it, you hate diversity!

The really sad thing is that after the change there will be no best picture oscar. Instead we will have a best diversity picture award.

It is because I love diversity that I can see this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

:|

What kind of diverse films are you talking about? The diversity doesn't have to be on the screen, the categories are quite wide and the films only had to pass two of them so something like The Revenent (to use an example from earlier) could still qualify provided that it meets the criteria behind the camera. I really don't see the problem with that unless you think it would be impossible to make a best picture winning film with a more diverse crew?

The really sad thing is that after the change there will be no best picture oscar. Instead we will have a best diversity picture award.

It is because I love diversity that I can see this

Yes, yes, a person who loves diversity would really get so annoyed by such a minor, ineffectual change. :rolleyes:

Yes, yes, a person who loves diversity would really get so annoyed by such a minor, ineffectual change. :rolleyes:

There is going to be less diversity now. With all white made movies out, how will a country like Iceland or the Farie Islands ever be able to make a movie that can win the best picture oscar

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

There is going to be less diversity now. With all white made movies out, how will a country like Iceland or the Farie Islands ever be able to make a movie that can win the best picture oscar
    First of all, the Faroe Island film industry has far bigger f*cking hurdles to clear when it comes to winning a best picture Oscar. Secondly, to be in with their 0.0001% chance they just ensure the production crew or creative team includes a few people who are traditionally under represented in the US movie industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

This is a worry. Its about control and money. Hollywood and the academy do not give a damn about minority groups, they care about $$$$$$$. And if theres money in these groups then Hollywood will push that agenda. If hitler and the nazi's were "in" at the moment and there was money to be made off them then you can bet the academy would be pushing for Adolf and his cronies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think the one 'likely' hole is what about films like Parasite. Sure Koreans are a minority in the US but they're not in Korea. Is that film 100% diverse or would it fall foul of these rules (they might have enough women to satisfy it, I don't know)

Also, the problematic part is are they going to start asking everyone their sexual preferences in interviews to find gay people to hire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Just when you think the standard of dross getting nominated for Oscars can't get any worse, this woke nonsense gets introduced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah. Some folk really didn't read the article or detail of the proposal, did they? The ease with which people are, ahem, triggered into railing against "woke"ness is truly Pavlovian. I'm out. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Another step towards the demonisation of white people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah. Some folk really didn't read the article or detail of the proposal, did they? The ease with which people are, ahem, triggered into railing against "woke"ness is truly Pavlovian. I'm out. :)

I did read all of the article.
    Its complete bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I did read all of the article.
    Its complete bollix.

What exactly is the problem with it?

titan18 wrote: »
    I think the one 'likely' hole is what about films like Parasite. Sure Koreans are a minority in the US but they're not in Korea. Is that film 100% diverse or would it fall foul of these rules (they might have enough women to satisfy it, I don't know)

Also, the problematic part is are they going to start asking everyone their sexual preferences in interviews to find gay people to hire?

I only saw it the once, but I’m almost certain I remember Parasite having women in it. Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

But will anyone be watching the Oscars? Audience figures the last few years have depended on large films generating additional viewing interest for a ceremony who's ratings have been in steep decline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

If they want diversity in Films that's great.
    I want the same diversity in NBA Basketball.
    I want the same diversity in baseball.
    I want the same diversity in running.

I only want players picked, based on skill in ice hockey.( go Bruins)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

What's that got to do with anything?

that they are fakety fake, its just about the Benjamins

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Having to fill quotas on your film crew so your artistic output is diverse enough to be considered for an award doesn't make any sense. A movie is a product at the end of the day. An artistic one but it is still a product. If it doesn't matter for other products, why movies. Why not music? Why not literally anything that can receive an award and requires more than 10 people to create?

Advertisement