Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brock Lesnar thread

Options
  • 02-01-2012 6:49pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There's gonna be more rumours/news etc about Brock so thought I'd give him his own thread.

Dana White : Lesnar retires under contract, open to wrestling return
    LAS VEGAS – Dana White never publicly discusses his fight predictions, but post-UFC 141, the UFC president admitted he thought Brock Lesnar (5-3 MMA, 4-3 UFC) was going to walk away victorious over Alistair Overeem.

But when that didn't happen, White said he wasn't surprised Lesnar decided to walk away from the sport.

"I had no idea he was going to do that," White said at Friday night's post-event press conference in regards to Lesnar's retirement. "Am I surprised? No. Brock Lesnar's made a lot of money in his career, and he's achieved a lot of things."

Lesnar debuted in the UFC in February 2008 and earned the company's heavyweight title after just three fights in the promotion. He would successfully defend the belt twice before ceding it to Cain Velasquez in October 2010.

The moment Lesnar announced his retirement, MMA fans and pundits immediately began to speculate what could possibly lie ahead for the 34-year-old superstar. White declined to predict Lesnar's next move but did clarify it wouldn't be returning at a later date to fight in any other MMA promotion.

"When he retires, he retires under contract," White said.

But could the former WWE champion return to the world of professional wrestling? After all, the UFC retains Lesnar's real-fighting rights, but what about that of the scripted variety?

"I don't know," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "We'll figure it out."

Credit and video of Dana discussing it here

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

What three WWE guys would you like to see feud with Brock if he came back and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭glenjamin

jaykhunter wrote: »
    What three WWE guys would you like to see feud with Brock if he came back and why?
    Taker - for obvious reasons
    Punk - for the promos
    Danielson - for the wrestling

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Given I've just got Lesnar in the draft, I've been pondering this question :P

Taker is the big one in terms of a Mania feud. Also the "Loyal worker vs Guy who left for more money" angle comes to mind. Cena could work that story as well, and would probably do it even better. And finally, Mason Ryan could do a great muscle head program with him :D

Given I've just got Lesnar in the draft, I've been pondering this question :P

mick_foley.jpg

Love those choices so far but here's my three & why :

My top choice is Triple H. He's one of the few main eventers from back in the day that Brock has no singles with. Plus Tripper is a big bloke and always has great matches and considered build. It'd be awesome seeing two horses go at it!

2nd would be Bryan Danielson. I think it'd be a compelling story of a guy who's giving up the guts of 70 lbs, fresh dude vs returning monster; both great wrestlers. Benoit was able to have some great back and forth with him, and I've no doubt Bryan could put on a really emotional story in a match with Brock. He'd have to go down the techincal submission route, which would be a joy to see.

Third is my boy Sheamo. Young gun, tons of potential, huge bloke taking on the bigger monster. I can see them knocking lumps into each other and would be huge for Sheamo, which reminds of Test v Brock @ KOTR 2002. I can see Brock being the bully heel and Sheamo being the loveable face in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I would like to see him return as babyface on Smackdown and have his first feud with Mark Henry in some sort of strongest guy on the roster type of feud. This could be at Wrestlemania 2012, but probably too early for that, so likely around May or June.

Maybe give him 1 or 2 month long feud with Triple H around July.

Then move to Raw and into the nitty gritty and win the WWE title at Summerslam, feuding with John Cena.

Then after Summerslam will come the heel turn, he can work programs with CM Punk, Danielson, and Swagger before an epic Undertaker match at Wrestlemania 2013.

/fantasy booking

Lesnar is so versatile though that there really is just endless opportunity for him on either Raw or Smackdown rosters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I doubt he'll come back full time, part time is a strong possibility. Nobody is mentioning Austin who Lesnar was talking about promoting WWE 12. If he and Taker start off their match standing up and trading worked punches i'll nearly have to stop watching Wrestling. My brother watched the fight with Overeem last night I must say his performance was sad and pathetic. I'd be skeptical that he has all of his athleticism he had before cause in his last 3 fights he didn't seem to be the same in that department.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Most of these ideas as fantasy booking as they may be probably wont be feasible if Brock doesn't even want to work a Rock in 2011 type schedule according to Meltzer this morning.

His last run with a major promotion (New Japan) was an interest destroying for both Lesnar as a wrestler and the promotion itself. Lesnar was no longer able to put together matches people wanted to watch. His best match in Japan occurred a number of years later at short notice and while he was training for MMA even that was meh and could have been much worse if Angle wasnt involved.

His WWE run will probably be a cash grab - like his book. Even when he was headlining WWE he didnt have the passion for Wrestling. This isnt the Rock whose business is in his blood, 3rd gen and Brock doesnt have a pretty forceful & persuasive wrestling fan for a mother either!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,040 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source

The latest word on Brock Lesnar is that he will be returning in time for the Royal Rumble. There was talk of having him work Hell In a Cell or Survivor Series but now it looks like he will be back closer to the end of 2013.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Since this thread got bumped, how do we feel about the three guys he did work with?

Cena
    Triple H
    CM Punk

Couldn't have picked three better people, just a shame that Brock didn't get another match v Cena (and a win) instead of three against the Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Cena was easily his best. The other two, meh.

The Cena match is how he should have been booked all along. Destroys his opponents but gets beat when he gets too cocky. Despite being semi retired, Triple H was more than a match for him and despite being tiny compared to him, so was Punk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The Trips matches done him no favors really, destroyed his mystique and were poor spectacles. Punk match and build was good but nowhere as awesome as his Cena brawl which was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Destroys his opponents but gets beat when he gets too cocky.

Just like the Frank Mir fight :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Rjd2 wrote: »
    The Trips matches done him no favors really, destroyed his mystique and were poor spectacles. Punk match and build was good but nowhere as awesome as his Cena brawl which was amazing.

Punk probably did him no favours in dressing down and not being a physical threat:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Cena thing was very well done. Brock should have 100 percent gotten the win there (even if you have to give it back to Cena a year or two down the road)

Any programme you put Punk in will probably do well so was inevitable that Punk/Brock was good.

Triple H programme was terrible. From start to finish.

Really want to see him in with Daniel Bryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,060 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the Triple H feud is the one that properly killed his mystique IMO.

the Cena thing was stupid, but only because the storyline "who can beat Brock Lesnar?" was the easiest thing they could do, and as Bryan Alvarez put it, you could have "printed money" for as long as you wanted.

the way the finish was done didn't totally kill him though.

1) because it was a phenomenal match; and,
    2) Brock dominated, but Cena eeked it out. so you still had the impression the Brock was special.

the HHH feud pretty much solidified Lesnar as just another guy. the Punk feud will have done him no favours either, but after what HHH made him out to be, sure whatever.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

triple h must be the only guy in pro wrestling that can bury a guy even though he gets beaten by him. he was born with that shovel in his hands :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Dancor wrote: »
    Just like the Frank Mir fight :-)

Its Murr!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,040 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is he still contracted to WWE?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is he still contracted to WWE?

Apparently yes. But he wants to lay low until the cornavirus blows over. Also it makes sense to keep your Brock appearances until you can have fans in attendance.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Loughc wrote: »
    Apparently yes. But he wants to lay low until the cornavirus blows over. Also it makes sense to keep your Brock appearances until you can have fans in attendance.

Tbh id love to see big break from Lesnar at this stage, im completely bored when he is on TV (especially Heymans copy and paste promos).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

WWEShop has removed Brock Lesnar’s page and all his merch from their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

According to pwinsider brock is a free agent

Honestly AEW should throw a bucket load of cash his way

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

A free agent in name only, I assume. As soon as crowds are back, he'll be back.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

J. Marston wrote: »
    A free agent in name only, I assume. As soon as crowds are back, he'll be back.

Win the rumble and face Roman?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He would kill the AEW roster if he signed for them and in that kill the company.

I don't think it would be worth it to AEW Brock doesn't put anyone over.

Goldberg and Brock only put each other over the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Win the rumble and face Roman?

I hope not. I'm not against Brock vs Roman again, they work well together and Heyman on Roman's side will add a new twist but Brock doesn't need to win the Rumble to get the title shot.

He would kill the AEW roster if he signed for them and in that kill the company. I don't think it would be worth it to AEW Brock doesn't put anyone over.

I can't imagine the bump in ratings for a few months would be worth upsetting the pay structure AND having him batter their talent.

Buuuut, that said it's not my money :D and the inVasion in 2001 would've worked out far better if they actually sprung for the likes of Hogan/Hall/Nash/Goldberg instead of waiting until it was a bone fide failure; so why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LibSuperstar

Those guys were waiting out the remainder of their hefty contracts. As for Lesnar, I'm not sure AEW is going to be willing to pay that high price tag for him.

Those guys were waiting out the remainder of their hefty contracts.

WWF could've bought out their contracts, like they did for Booker. He chose to go to work over sitting at home collecting a paycheque. Which makes it even more baffling of how they treated him! (Cue splicey of The Rock replying to Booker T, saying 'who?') :P

saying that, i agree, highly doubt AEW would shell out that kind of cash for Brock. But it's free publicity to say you're "reportedly" doing so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

WWF could've bought out their contracts, like they did for Booker. He chose to go to work over sitting at home collecting a paycheque. Which makes it even more baffling of how they treated him! (Cue splicey of The Rock replying to Booker T, saying 'who?') :P

saying that, i agree, highly doubt AEW would shell out that kind of cash for Brock. But it's free publicity to say you're "reportedly" doing so!

Ddp was the same,

Invested and lost 30 million in the xfl the first time, could have used that to get the main wcw roster and probably make a fortune in a proper invasion angle as long as he didn't bury them,

Aew be stupid to take on brock, I felt people were sick of him at this stage the fact he is laying low is probably the best thing

Advertisement