Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wind that Shakes the Barley court case scene

Options
  • 18-11-2010 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

In Ken Loach's film there's a scene in a local Republican court where a judge rules in favour of a woman who was in hoc to a businessman for a loan @ 500% interest. In the DVD commentary Loach and the historian advisor mentioned that this was based on a real court case. Would anyone be able to send me in the direction of find out more information about this case please? Or similar

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

In Ken Loach's film there's a scene in a local Republican court where a judge rules in favour of a woman who was in hoc to a businessman for a loan @ 500% interest. In the DVD commentary Loach and the historian advisor mentioned that this was based on a real court case. Would anyone be able to send me in the direction of find out more information about this case please? Or similar

Something tells me that these curts did not keep records due to security reason and fear of British raids. you could try your local library, even court house. some of the judges later went n to become judges of the free state. maybe the best bet isto contact the histoty heads in ucd and ucc. it's hard enough to get trnscripts etc of todays district court, never mind the republican courts, but you never know

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A1il_Courts i give this link because the sources maybe of use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Something tells me that these curts did not keep records due to security reason and fear of British raids. you could try your local library, even court house. some of the judges later went n to become judges of the free state. maybe the best bet isto contact the histoty heads in ucd and ucc. it's hard enough to get trnscripts etc of todays district court, never mind the republican courts, but you never know

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A1il_Courts i give this link because the sources maybe of use
    Agreed. I'd say Ken Loach probably copied it from a local newspaper report at the time. The local papers often reported matters regarding Republicans more honestly than the nationals such as the Irish Times, Indo etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6 matt.mac

Mary [FONT=Arial Unicode MS, Arial][FONT=Arial Unicode MS, Arial][FONT=Arial Unicode MS, Arial][FONT=Arial Unicode MS, Arial]Kotsonouris' [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Unicode MS, Arial][FONT=Arial Unicode MS, Arial][FONT=Arial Unicode MS, Arial][FONT=Arial Unicode MS, Arial]Retreat from revolution : the Dáil Courts, 1920-24 is a good book if you are interested in learning about the republican courts during this period
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Thanks. There doesn't seem to be too many copies in the Dublin libraries though - 1 in central Dublin City library in Ilac, 1 in South Dublin but that appears to have gone awol. Might take a jaunt in to Pearse St and have a flick through it though. Cheers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 matt.mac

there are a few copies in UCD library but you would have to get in touch with them to gain access to the library. happy hunting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I dont know if this was a real court case.

However, local newspapers definitely reported on these republican court cases. I have read about them before (A local history book put together extracts from the local newspaper and these kind of court cases were included).

Advertisement