Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying during the Covid19 pandemic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Looks like used car market is starting to crash, know plenty of people who have managed to negotiate 15-20% discounts on used cars over the past month.

What examples were these?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭narodvale

narodvale wrote: »
    Any benefit to buying a new car in cash at this time? No trade in, thinking Toyota
    Have heard a lot of non fact based opinions about forecourts being full of new stock that wasn't sold during lock down, and end of year coming so dealers looking to negotiate, but as I said, this is milkman/postman opinions versus someone in the industry speaking from experience. Tempted to get the boat as well as UK prices on new cars seem to be more competitive at the minute based on some email inquiries

By way of an update. We test drove on Saturday and there were 2 of the make and models we wanted in stock. We were offered an immediate discount of 2k with no haggling down to 31k. We want a different colour and some slight mods which apparently will take a while due to supply from manufacturer. Once the dealer follows up and we can nail down price I’ll call around and see if there is flexibility anywhere else. They were very pleasant to deal with.

Any thoughts or feedback greatly appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Looking at a relatives car tonight, 2012 Yaris 82k km slight scratch on passenger door €5k, seems a bargain what do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Got €1000 taken off a 20k 2017 car yesterday that i test drove

I'm still considering it

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

Got €1000 taken off a 20k 2017 car yesterday that i test drove

I'm still considering it
    Are you trading in a car? If not then you could squeeze a bit more when you visit second time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Seems new car registrations improved? but still down 4.2% compared august last year
    The Society of the Irish Motor Industry (SIMI) today released their official new vehicle statistics. New car registrations for August were down 4.2% (4,875) when compared to August 2019 (5,088). While registrations year to date are down 28.6% (78,920) on the same period last year (110,527).

call for reduction in vrt
    now is the time for a significant reduction in Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT). This would enable thecar market return to normal sustainable levels that would not only save jobs, but increase overall tax take and help renew the Irish car fleet, reducing both the age of the fleet and emissions from transport.”

https://www.simi.ie/en/news/reduce-vrt-save-jobs-in-the-motor-industry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Is it usual course to bargain with a dealer, and if so, what would be the typical discount that they would offer, e.g. if buying a car for €25K?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Depends on how the car is priced. You might get nothing, you might get 500, you might get a grand.

Edit it’s certainly not unusual, it’s completely normal. For that reason used cars are inflated to allow for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

I need to trade in an 11 year old car in December. Is there any benefit to waiting until January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

An 11 year old car is going to be worthless to a dealer whether you trade it in now or in January to be honest. Try selling it yourself in the meantime and then negotiate a better deal buying your next car without having a trade-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Had hoped to check out a few cars later this week. With restrictions back I'll be knocking that on the head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Sorry lads, just seen this thread now ... I’ve been moping around thinking of buying a car for well over a year, both here and Uk and find that the cars are all gone up to mad prices now... so sorry that I didn’t buy in March while in Uk as same kind of machines now going for way more ... I’m looking in the 2015 -16 years (most machines prior to this hit with stupid nox )... is it just me finding this or is it the type machines I’m looking at? I’m looking at suvs predominantly

SUVs and crossovers are trendy so demand and prices remain strong. If you cannot find one within your budget either here or in the UK for a year then you might have to rethink does your criteria fit your budget.

bazz26 wrote: »
    SUVs and crossovers are trendy so demand and prices remain strong. If you cannot find one within your budget either here or in the UK for a year then you might have to rethink does your criteria fit your budget.

They fitted in my budget more last year and that’s what has me wondering .... why and how... they’re now older and we are in middle of pandemic... why are people willing to spend more at a time of uncertainty ... anyways Just needed something nice with a big boot and abit of oomph ...if not possible I’ll wait until it is next year ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

LillySV wrote: »
    They fitted in my budget more last year and that’s what has me wondering .... why and how... they’re now older and we are in middle of pandemic... why are people willing to spend more at a time of uncertainty ... anyways Just needed something nice with a big boot and abit of oomph ...if not possible I’ll wait until it is next year ...
    how much of a change did you notice in terms of price hikes here and in UK ?
    as SUV types seem always to fetch premium depending on spec etc, but then again your not buying new for the year you outlined, so def interesting to see how much price difference there is now compared to like back of Feb/March.

as in Ireland there can be seen a lot more SUV cross over types nowadays, maybe smth to do with general construction boom while its still going on.
    as realisticly yes your correct given uncertain times, then off course theres less sales this year compared to any others, so in theory shouldnt be much of a shortage for new ones, but then again if someone sees that and they have cash at hand prob they see buying older is better option then new, thus creating demand where before it wasnt there so much.

scamalert wrote: »
    how much of a change did you notice in terms of price hikes here and in UK ?
    as SUV types seem always to fetch premium depending on spec etc, but then again your not buying new for the year you outlined, so def interesting to see how much of hike did you notice.

Depending on model, anything from 2-5k pounds in Uk, if not more. In regards to Irish prices..they were already at crazy prices so couldn’t measure that accurately

On the topic of Irish prices ... does anyone try sell their own car anymore privately ? Looking on done deal at moment and vast majority is being sold by dealers

Yea in regard to the spike in demand... maybe that’s it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Depending on model, anything from 2-5k pounds in Uk, if not more. In regards to Irish prices..they were already at crazy prices so couldn’t measure that accurately

On the topic of Irish prices ... does anyone try sell their own car anymore privately ? Looking on done deal at moment and vast majority is being sold by dealers

Yea in regard to the spike in demand... maybe that’s it...

out of my knowledge range really for SUVs but 2-4k doesnt seem drastic then again just basing that on terms you can have 2wd or 4wd that makes massive difference at least here in Ireland that adds that immediate premium.

as for done deal general rule of thumb is never to buy antything over 5-10k private, given if you dont know the car inside out its a hard loss if getting a lemon. where with dealerships theres tiny bit of comeback.

Not everyone has financial uncertainty during this pandemic. For some people they still have their job except they are working from home more.

Actually as a result of the pandemic sales of used cars has increased as per this and importing thread as less people feel safe using public transport so they have bought/upgraded their car. Demand influences prices. Also access to the UK used car market will most likely be more prohibited next year due to less value as a result of a no deal Brexit. This will influence used prices here too as you no longer have cheaper options from the UK

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not everyone has financial uncertainty during this pandemic. For some people they still have their job except they are working from home more.

Actually as a result of the pandemic sales of used cars has increased as per this and importing thread as less people feel safe using public transport so they have bought/upgraded their car. Demand influences prices. Also access to the UK used car market will most likely be more prohibited next year due to less value as a result of a no deal Brexit. This will influence used prices here too as you no longer have cheaper options from the UK

Nox has a lot of the cheaper options from Uk already screwed. Only alternative is to try import an older petrol suv with manageable tax here but can't think of any really.... well 3litre options anyways .. would pay up to a grand tax per year if had to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Because buying a 4-5 year old car in a financial crisis is somewhat easier than buying a brand new one! More demand without increased supply can lead to former prices. In general, the U.K. secondhand market has been great value at 3-4 y/o, ie just off first PCP. Reduced ability to get a new car means these are not going back for resale.

It really makes no sense. I sold a 172 car as a pre Reg, ie no mileage and I’m just after selling the same car now, for €900 less. 3 years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭carsfan2

L-M wrote: »
    It really makes no sense. I sold a 172 car as a pre Reg, ie no mileage and I’m just after selling the same car now, for €900 less. 3 years later.

So the same car now 3 years old sold for 900 euro less than when you sold it the first time?
    That’s phenomenal!
    What was it?

carsfan2 wrote: »
    So the same car now 3 years old sold for 900 euro less than when you sold it the first time?
    That’s phenomenal!
    What was it?

A Polo.

What makes it worse is the person who bought it had just crashed their 172 Pre Reg Polo that they had also bought off me. And we just happened to have one of them traded back in.

In short, the same person bought a car three years apart for €900 less the second time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

Thinking of buying a BMW 3 series or VW CC. Budget will get me 2014 to 2015. Both type of cars are 2L diesel. Never had a diesel.

My questions are: with all the talks about diesel cars is it the wrong time to buy one? Potentially more taxes coming to phase them out completely?

No, drive on.

Also in your budget and requirements you don’t really have a choice. So drive on and be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭WacoKid

lemonkey wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a BMW 3 series or VW CC. Budget will get me 2014 to 2015. Both type of cars are 2L diesel. Never had a diesel.

My questions are: with all the talks about diesel cars is it the wrong time to buy one? Potentially more taxes coming to phase them out completely?

Phasing out ICEs is a long time away. Until the technology and infrastructure is in place that provides a similar experience to ICEs (i.e. go to petrol station and topping up by say 200 miles in a few mins), the Gov can't really tax these out of use. Drive on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Am I mad to be thinking about purchasing now as we go into lockdown? Will dealers be offering discounts to move stock in the next few days or does it make any difference to them at all? Will prices drop closer to Christmas when we hopefully emerge again or is this wishful thinking?

Tristram wrote: »
    Am I mad to be thinking about purchasing now as we go into lockdown? Will dealers be offering discounts to move stock in the next few days or does it make any difference to them at all? Will prices drop closer to Christmas when we hopefully emerge again or is this wishful thinking?

Unless you can find a dealer that’s stuck for money it’s going to be a no.

At the minute stock is very hard to replace and with a brexit etc and the possibility of a small new car market next year it’s a sellers market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Are dealers open during this level 5 craic? My son needs a car for work, has a deal done with a dealer, but isn't ready to collect until the end of the week. Are they going to be able to open?

Are dealers open during this level 5 craic? My son needs a car for work, has a deal done with a dealer, but isn't ready to collect until the end of the week. Are they going to be able to open?

Im sure he won’t have an issue collecting as the repairs are allowed to stay open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 maggots_123

Looking to buy, I have my eye on a car but is it worth calling the dealer up today as we go into lockdown tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Bump - is it ok to buy during level 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭SummerK

Bump - is it ok to buy during level 5?

Yes absolutely if you like something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Seems more than OK :-)
    New car sales up 6% in October despite Covid challenges
    Registrations down 25% so far this year, driven by collapse in car rental market

New car sales rose 6.24 per cent in October compared to the same month last year. Figures from the Society of the Irish Motor Industry (SIMI), show 2,315 new cars were registered last month. Total registrations for the year so far stand at 86,870, a drop of 25.2 per cent on the same period last year.

The collapse in the car rental market – down 84 per cent due to the collapse in international travel – has played a major part in this drop. New hire-drive registrations so far this year amount to 2,914, down 15,438 on the same period last year. Traditionally representing 16 per cent of all new-car registrations, but that is now just 3.4 per cent for 2020.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/new-car-sales-up-6-in-october-despite-covid-challenges-1.4397621

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Will many dealers be open to go in and have a look with a view to buying during Level 5? Anybody done this recently?

Not keen on buying without at least sitting the arse in the vehicle even if no test drive allowed.

As per the Government Covid-19 guidelines dealerships are only open for essential things such as servicing and repairs. Alot of them seem to be offering click and collect online sales only but I don't think officially they will be leaving the general public into showrooms under current Level 5 restrictions. Level 5 restrictions finish in 2 weeks time so unless there is another significant spike in cases I'd imagine showrooms will be open again by then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Thanks. This "lockdown" is a loada bollix tbh but gonna see if theres a smaller dealer willing to skirt the rules a bit and stay away from the main fellas. Click & Collect might work for a washing machine but who wants to do that with a purchase as big as a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭User1998

I walked straight into possibly the biggest car supermarket in Ireland and you wouldn’t even know they were meant to be closed. Had a test drive in a couple of cars as well

Thanks. This "lockdown" is a loada bollix tbh but gonna see if theres a smaller dealer willing to skirt the rules a bit and stay away from the main fellas. Click & Collect might work for a washing machine but who wants to do that with a purchase as big as a car.

I walked straight into possibly the biggest car supermarket in Ireland and you wouldn’t even know they were meant to be closed. Had a test drive in a couple of cars as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Will many dealers be open to go in and have a look with a view to buying during Level 5? Anybody done this recently?

Not keen on buying without at least sitting the arse in the vehicle even if no test drive allowed.

I did the other day, in a main dealer. No issues with test drives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,236 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The first two I tried last week were only open for service and parts. Luckily the dealer I usually use arranged a test drive and we got a deal done.

Told Gardaí I was getting brakes checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so what's the story are all forecourts closed at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

fryup wrote: »
    so what's the story are all forecourts closed at the moment?

Picking up my new car(used) wednesday off a big dealership.
    Havnt test drove it yet but told him I will be on the day before I sign anything.

Think there click and collect only but couldn't imagine to many people buying cars without testing them at least

are they allowed to deliver over 5km limit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Can I leave my county to go and collect a new car? The car dealers I've spoken to have said yes, I'd be allowed to and they'd give me some 'paperwork' to show at checkpoints. But I'm not convinced. Anyone know?

The car I'm looking for can't be sourced locally, for context. I'd be looking at a couple hours driving. If not, they can deliver but that will be €€€. I'd hang on until February but there's no guarantee we'll be out of lockdown either.

Technically no you shouldn’t as its non essential. Its up to you to decide weather its worth the risk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

User1998 wrote: »
    Technically no you shouldn’t as its non essential. Its up to you to decide weather its worth the risk

Since I posted, a couple of dealers said they'd deliver to me, so i'll just do that instead.

are they allowed to deliver over the 5km limit?

anyone?? please

anyone?? please

Yes

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^^

is that still the case after today?? things getting strict

Advertisement