Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband service provider change lose devices on wifi

Options
  • 13-09-2020 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    The last couple of times I changed I lost lots of devices and had to go through the pain of reconnecting them. I now have a unifi access point that I connect all the wireless smart devices to thinking I was smart. But then changed again and the access points needed to be reset therfore all the other devices. Am I doing something remarkably stupid?
    What do others do when they change provider?
    Should I just live with the price increase after 12 months to avoid the extra hassle?
    Sick of it at this stage as most of the devices are not easily accessible.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hi all,
    The last couple of times I changed I lost lots of devices and had to go through the pain of reconnecting them. I now have a unifi access point that I connect all the wireless smart devices to thinking I was smart. But then changed again and the access points needed to be reset therfore all the other devices. Am I doing something remarkably stupid?
    Should I just live with the price increase after 12 months to avoid the extra hassle?
    Thanks

I find when you warn that you are going to leave they leave you on the good rate. Personally I just use the ISP supplied router as the way to connect to the Internet, I turn off WiFi on it and use my mesh system for wireless

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Hi all,
    Thanks

When you setup your UniFi gear, did you use the same SSID as whatever you modem is? You should setup a seperate SSID for your IoT stuff, like "stuudlys_iot" or something like that on the UniFi Controller, that way when you switch providers you can just swap out the modem and things *should* still work

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Spocker wrote:
    When you setup your UniFi gear, did you use the same SSID as whatever you modem is? You should setup a seperate SSID for your IoT stuff, like "stuudlys_iot" or something like that on the UniFi Controller, that way when you switch providers you can just swap out the modem and things *should* still work

I setup a new ssid on the access point and this time changing from sky to Vodafone the two access points needed to be reset, looked like they were on a different subnet. Connected without Internet. Reset them and they were fine but then still needed to connect all devices again.
    Think ill try talking to them to keep the lower rate for a further 12 months in future as the other poster said.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A lot of stuff won't connect to something just because of the same SSID and password, often they'll ensure that the mac address is the same aswell as other things

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

Decide which is the network the ISP or the UNFIY, personally i use the UnIFY for DHCP (address giving) and pass everything from ISP box to UNIFY.

So on unify give every thing an address like 192.168.2.2-254 (.1 being the gateway) and then on the ISP it probably has an address like 192.168.1.1, on the ISP box put the UNIFY in the DMZ zone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

eusap wrote:
    Decide which is the network the ISP or the UNFIY, personally i use the UnIFY for DHCP (address giving) and pass everything from ISP box to UNIFY.

eusap wrote:
    So on unify give every thing an address like 192.168.2.2-254 (.1 being the gateway) and then on the ISP it probably has an address like 192.168.1.1, on the ISP box put the UNIFY in the DMZ zone

That looks to be the solution I am after. Ill set it up that way and see how it works. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Buy your own router, manage your own network. Then when you change provider everything stays the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Buy your own router, manage your own network. Then when you change provider everything stays the same

I swapped from Sky to Vodafone and never bothered touching the router. Works away grand.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I swapped from Sky to Vodafone and never bothered touching the router. Works away grand.

Yes, but can you change provider tomorrow and be guaranteed not to have any issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Yes, but can you change provider tomorrow and be guaranteed not to have any issues?

Couldn't see why I'd have any issues but nothing is guaranteed in life.

• Advertisement

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Couldn't see why I'd have any issues but nothing is guaranteed in life.

Depends on how you are using your connection, accessing devices, limiting devices, forwarding ports. When you change router the LAN IP range can change and the DHCP IP assigned to a devices will change. If you are just leaving everything dynamic you will be fine. You'd be surprised how many businesses end up in strife when they change provider!

Advertisement