Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenstar vs Panda

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Interesting. I wonder if it's to do with which depot is lifting the waste. It was important to us as well!

yep its (glass recycling with Panda) only for DLR region currently. Thats why its not advertised on the website. (they rang me back after I sent in a query)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

They do glass recycling in DLR, do they? I was feeling vaguely guilty after sending glass out for the last few years and only reading the sticker which said "no glass" in recent weeks.

If they accept it in DLR then I can hold my head high again.

We were going to move to Greenstar, but rang Panda and they gave us the same 6 months free everything offer. I think the only thing that wasn't covered was the standing charge on the brown bin, but other than that the lift & weight charges were waived for 6 months and the annual black bin standing charge was effectively reduced by 50%. My only hope is that this doesn't back fire on all involved and mean that nobody gets any income from the bins for 6 months and then we all just start off again with another round in the Summer. I don't mind getting stuff for free, but not at the cost of someone taking short cuts on the waste disposal front.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

zagmund wrote: »
    I don't mind getting stuff for free, but not at the cost of someone taking short cuts on the waste disposal front.

I don't think anyone would want this, and nor should we expect it of reputable companies.

At the end of the day, Panda must have at least 80% of the domestic market in DLR and Greenstar need to eat into it as part of their future strategy.

Most of Panda's customers will do nothing. Let's say 10% consider moving, but then half of them think to themselves they will see if Panda will match the offer, and if they do, save themselves the hassle of moving.

So in the end Panda will lose some income to retain half the customers they may have lost but they will have lost nothing on the vast majority who are unmotivated to move. As the old adage goes, it's far cheaper and easier to retain customers than to recruit new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Did anyone that negotiated to stay with Panda actually get clarification on whether the "per kg" charges are also waived?

Concerned myself after speaking to someone over the weekend who claims it is only free lifts. I've been loading the bin up with waste that I would never have been putting in the bin otherwise ... I have the greenstar promotion leaflet still and its very clear that you pay nothing for the first 6 mths which is what I rang up Panda with when negotiating my free period. Unfortunately I got nothing in writing from them and their customer portal doesn't have a running total for the month.

donnacha wrote: »
    Did anyone that negotiated to stay with Panda actually get clarification on whether the "per kg" charges are also waived?

Concerned myself after speaking to someone over the weekend who claims it is only free lifts.

After I negotiated with them, I asked for email confirmation to avoid any future issues. It says free lifts and weights up to the agreed number and expiry date.

• Advertisement

We got an email from them to (to be sure, to be sure). Like you, I didn't want to find out the hard way in July that they didn't actually mean "free" or something. The email was pretty clear and has been duly filed. The only thing we didn't get was the brown bin standing charge, but brown bin lifts & weight are free. The garden is extra tidy for this time of year.

z

Like you, I didn't want to find out the hard way in July that they didn't actually mean "free" or something.z

Exactly. Always a good idea if you've negotiated something.

The only thing we didn't get was the brown bin standing charge. z

We're not paying a standing charge for ours. Might be something to do with the fact that I said that I wanted them to take it back as having tried it for a year, I found we'd only used it once, and I could take sackfulls of green garden waste to Ballyogan for the same price as emptying a small brown bin (we don't use it for cooked food waste). They said they couldn't take it back as they had to issue them to all households now.

The Panda bill came through today - a grand total of €5.50 for the entire quarter for all lifts of all bins. The only charge was 3 months of brown bin service charge. Quite the bargain considering that the brown bin has been full to the brim every two weeks.

z

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Has anyone gone through this negotiation recently? We're with Greenstar atm, but I haven't gone checking for other options. Did I hear right that Greenstar are taking over Panda now, or is it the other way around?

Advertisement