Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charges withdrawn against P. Keegan for household charge.

Options
  • 05-03-2015 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

At today's sitting of Castlebar Circuit Court (5/3/15) Mayo County Council withdrew charges against Peter Anthony Keegan, of Belclare Westport, for non payment of the household charge and his two year case was won.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

osprey wrote: »
    At today's sitting of Castlebar Circuit Court (5/3/15) Mayo County Council withdrew charges against Peter Anthony Keegan, of Belclare Westport, for non payment of the household charge and his two year case was won.

Perhaps you could explain to those in ignorance of the situation, what the full facts are?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Is there an unbiased full report?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭i lovewine

yes a unbiased report would be nice ???

Is there an unbiased full report?

I'm sure Dennis O'Brien will have one for us over the next three/four days, I cannot guarantee non bias though. Wake up!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'm sure Dennis O'Brien will have one for us over the next three/four days, I cannot guarantee non bias though. Wake up!

I've been awake since half 8. Who said anything about Dennis O'Brien? An official report from the court would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

So how does this work now?
    Someone seems to have set a precedent of turning back that charge, the incentives of which were punitive charges for non payment, how does this affect those that paid.
    I didnt pay initially but ended up paying double as the majority didnt hold out, I couldnt any longer as I knew it would become more unaffordable in my situation to oppose especially along with other charges and the punitive way they were imposed.

Isnt there an EU regulation/law that says the penalty or fine for non payment of some imposed charge should be proportionate to the cost of the charge, here the way to motivate people to pay is to apply punitive penalties to charges for which the purpose or service they are being paid for is not obvious or available at all, ie it goes into the black hole of the tax pot and wasteful spending or at least where no effort is made to cut spending.

I've been awake since half 8. Who said anything about Dennis O'Brien? An official report from the court would be nice.

Fair shout ... there is no Court report as the charges were withdrawn, I'd argue that this was somewhat tactical on the part of the plaintiff (M.C.C) I'm sure opinions would vary on that all of the same. D.D.I expresses opinions and speculation that, in this case, I agree with. But, the facts relating to what took place between M.C.C and Peter Keegan in Castlebar Court yesterday are absolutely factual. 8000+ shares and not a breath of it on radio or in print. What a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

It was discussed earlier. Revenue can still persue him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

cerastes wrote: »
    So how does this work now?
    Someone seems to have set a precedent of turning back that charge, the incentives of which were punitive charges for non payment, how does this affect those that paid.
    I didnt pay initially but ended up paying double as the majority didnt hold out, I couldnt any longer as I knew it would become more unaffordable in my situation to oppose especially along with other charges and the punitive way they were imposed.

No precedent set as no decision was made by a judge, Mayo CC just pulled out of the case. Still a very promising outcome for Mr Keegan but just not an automatic result for everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wake up!
    If you follow that ridiculous phrase on this thread with the word 'sheeple' I'm disregarding everything you post from here on in, on any topic, till the end of time.

:)

There are freeman blogs for that sorta nonsense.

endacl wrote: »
    If you follow that ridiculous phrase on this thread with the word 'sheeple' I'm disregarding everything you post from here on in, on any topic, till the end of time.

:)

There are freeman blogs for that sorta nonsense.

Enlighten, elaborate, convince me and show me the error of my ways, as to how the phrase 'wake up' stirs the mistrust and avoidance in you. Meanwhile don't take my word for it, read Admin 5 on D.D.I and ask yourself. The word sheeple I do find offensive, people aren't sheep nor behave like them, we can agree on this surely!

Advertisement