Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space concrete

Options
  • 02-03-2015 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

Would it be possible to build a type of space concrete from what we find in the asteroid belt? I know NASA has a plan for mooncrete which they think they could make without water but water probably wouldn't be a problem in the asteroid belt.

Being able to build with a material like concrete in space would make living in space much easier. They could probably make giant 3D printers to print out concrete based spaceship parts. It would reduce the reliance on earth and allow very large scale construction in space.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I suppose the biggest concern would obviously be in the varying nature of the material you are using to produce space concrete.

For example anyone who is in the construction industry would know that there is a huge variety of concrete mixes out there and all of them can have different properties for different uses and all are based on the mix of raw materials you put in at the start of the process.

The question would be how would you control this, in space with limited resources. The other question is would this material be suitable for the stresses and rigours of space, generally concrete needs to be reinforced with steel for many applications.

Concrete on its own is a good material under compression but in space i am not sure how much use that is to you, wouldnt alot of the forces you might encounter be torsional or tension etc.

Its an interesting topic OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The question would be how would you control this, in space with limited resources.
    There isn't really a lack of resources as such in the asteroid belt though, you have most of the basic elements you can get on earth, they're probably more accessible because they're in their raw state. The machinery needed would be a massive expense but once you're over that initial cost of building a space mining/factory you have unlimited resources at your disposal. Once the first one is up it effectively copy itself.

I was wondering would it just be easier to make everything out of metal as there's probably plenty of iron floating around up there too but you'd need to be able to smelt it. Which comes with many of the same problems as concrete and requires machining. concrete is moldable but containing it and getting it to set would be the problem. It could probably be made to take hits better too.
    The other question is would this material be suitable for the stresses and rigours of space, generally concrete needs to be reinforced with steel for many applications.
    Steel could be accessed for re enforcement too, on earth concrete/steel buildings are under a constant 1g, add daily lateral wind forces into that mix and a space ship might not generate much more forces than they'd experience on a daily basis here on earth. Once you point the ship in the right direction at the right speed it shouldn't need much violent corrections after that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There is native iron on the moon and in asteroids, and NASA's DAWN probe is arriving at the minor planet Ceres now so we will know a great deal more soon.

Low g environments help since structures don't have to support as much weight.

in colder parts of the solar system ice could be structural

but google lunarcrete for more info

for Mars and the Moon and probably for the asteriods the hope would be to find an old lava tunnel or cave which solves most of the building problem as well as providing a shield from the radiation that the earths magnetic field protects from.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There is native iron on the moon and in asteroids, and NASA's DAWN probe is arriving at the minor planet Ceres now so we will know a great deal more soon.
    Asteroids seem to have plenty of easy access iron. So I'd wonder would it be as easy to use that? There are still numerous advantages to a concrete like material.

for Mars and the Moon and probably for the asteriods the hope would be to find an old lava tunnel or cave which solves most of the building problem as well as providing a shield from the radiation that the earths magnetic field protects from.
    The problem as I would see it with using a cave or tunnel is that you'd still essentially need to build a sealed living space inside it, you couldn't rely on the cave to be structurally sound. You also have to spend time finding caves that would work.

I think if space travel is going to work into the future we need to be able to build big for little cost. I think once you got over the initial hump of building in space that it would become very easy for us to build everything in space without needing any help from earth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ScumLord wrote: »
    The problem as I would see it with using a cave or tunnel is that you'd still essentially need to build a sealed living space inside it, you couldn't rely on the cave to be structurally sound. You also have to spend time finding caves that would work.
    You could just inflate a shelter in the cave.

concrete is made by heating rock so you need lots of energy
    also here on earth we have a lot of limestone thanks to billions of years of plankton fossils

in the past some of the easiest places for humans to settle were wooded areas, trees providing food, shelter, fuel , non of which will be easy out there

• Advertisement
Advertisement