Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trump's Plans for Doonbeg

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

From the irish golf desk, kill the snails.
    Should Donald Trump have carte blanche to go into the dunes and make Doonbeg the course it could have been?

Selection Votes
    Yes 74% 103
    No 26% 37

140 total
    pollcode.com free polls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Anyone see the wonderful comments Donald made about his plans for Doonbeg?

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2014/3/5/trump-eyeing-doonbeg-rebuild.html

I know he's seen as an odious individual and this just builds on that (not that he cares). For The Donald, money trumps everything... regardless of the environment and regardless of a lot of people's wishes. If it's good for Donald, it HAS to be good for everyone.

The full interview was in yesterday's examiner. Still a bit of a knob but a bit more context

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/golf/trump-plans-to-redesign-doonbeg-260995.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

Whichever way you slice it (to use a term Mr. Trump would understand), I am afraid of what he might try to do.

Strangely, I do take his point about how being overly sensitive with the snails could hamper (what might, I say might) constitute any decent development.

The proposed wind farm will be something to keep an eye on though. I wonder whether Trump'll bother doing anything extra with the place if that got the go-ahead, or whether its just all bluster and nonsense? The Scottish decision obviously still rankles with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

The absolute balls they made of the place in Aberdeen, if you are a fan of rare wild places, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

There are enough bloody links courses, can't anything be let be in this country, just shout 'jobs' and 'tourism', I hope we don't make the same mistakes they did in Scotland and turned into complete gangsters, police, local gov, total collusion and corruption

He knew the score when he bought the course, he's owed nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

Anatom wrote: »
    The proposed wind farm will be something to keep an eye on though. I wonder whether Trump'll bother doing anything extra with the place if that got the go-ahead, or whether its just all bluster and nonsense? The Scottish decision obviously still rankles with him.

I can see where he's coming from with this, I expect most people with huge toupees are not fans of wind farms nearby. He'll do well to keep his on in Doonbeg as it is......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

mike12 wrote: »
    From the irish golf desk, kill the snails.
    Should Donald Trump have carte blanche to go into the dunes and make Doonbeg the course it could have been?

Selection Votes
    Yes 74% 103
    No 26% 37

140 total
    pollcode.com free polls

Sweet jesus, that's depressing! People don't give a sh*t about the environment any more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

Sweet jesus, that's depressing! People don't give a sh*t about the environment any more

Not sure where the poll was based out of though. I can't find anything online (only a very quick search mind you!) yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

newport2 wrote: »
    I can see where he's coming from with this, I expect most people with huge toupees are not fans of wind farms nearby. He'll do well to keep his on in Doonbeg as it is......

Toupee.....Always thought that was a divot!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

Bit of a bump for this thread I know but an interesting article in Golf Digest with Trump. Mentions Doonbeg a couple of times in it. http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2014-11/donald-trump-interview

On another note regarding Trump, I can never square up the fact that he's mega rich/mega successful with the outlandish (nonsense) statements he makes. Some off the wall stuff that you'd cringe if your child said.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I wonder how many of the venerable links of which we are so proud would have been built if the environmental issues of today had been considered?
    The snails, natterjacks and others were not as well represented in those days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Having seen his swing, I presume these rounds where he "shot numerous times in the 60s" are net scores.... off 28!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Has he done any work on the course yet or are there any concrete plans about what is to be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Has he done any work on the course yet or are there any concrete plans about what is to be done?

Major changes to the 5th and 14th and minor changes to a number of other holes including removing the bunker from the green on 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Major changes to the 5th and 14th and minor changes to a number of other holes including removing the bunker from the green on 12.

That bunker was one stupid feature!

Playing there in June so looking forward to see the changes. Any idea what's been done to the 14th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

bailey99 wrote: »
    That bunker was one stupid feature!

Playing there in June so looking forward to see the changes. Any idea what's been done to the 14th?

Can't answer your question but you should make a quick check that the full course is playable in June. I was about to book a May 1 round (online) recently and rang ahead just to be sure. Lady said they were down to 9 holes for redevelopment work at that stage til some time around May or June direction. Ended up leaving it and booking Mt Juliet instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭bailey99

Can't answer your question but you should make a quick check that the full course is playable in June. I was about to book a May 1 round (online) recently and rang ahead just to be sure. Lady said they were down to 9 holes for redevelopment work at that stage til some time around May or June direction. Ended up leaving it and booking Mt Juliet instead.

I knew that yes and I was told that 31st May was the latest it would be 9 holes. They were it'll be around the 21st May and thereafter it'll have 18 holes.

I have a voucher that expires June 19th and have been in touch with Doonbeg so they'll honour the voucher anyway for me. Played it couple of times already.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

Played their last summer and afterwards visited the only local pub. (only place open) Met an old friend, who said the area was dying. Most young people had gone to Dublin or emigrated. The only industry for miles around was the golf course. He said they needed Trump's investment. Locals had been supplying food, ie vegs,fish,bread etc.. before the bad storm. Since the storm things were very quite and they local pub is doing very little trade.
    Any further development was welcome by him. The village had 1 pub and 1 restaurant. He said with the right investment to development the course, would have a knock on affect to benefit the growth of the village and they could keep some locals from leaving. So may be there is a wider context to this then Trumps arrogance, I don't know?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Has a nice Finance job going there at the minute for anyone close and interested...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement