Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mechatronics

• 21-03-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi, I've applied for the hons degree in Mechatronics in ITB and am really looking forward to it. Just wondering if any of you could tell me what type of maths and physics i can expect to be doing in first year. Also, how are you finding the course in general and the college. Thanks : ]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

I did this course a few years ago. The maths starts off very basic and works its way up to more difficult stuff. We did things like fractions and simple algebra then moved on slowly. The physics also starts very basic. i found this great as i had never done physics before and only did ordinary level maths in the leaving cert. There will also probably be several mature students in the class. The basic start is good for them to get up to speed. I really enjoyed doing this course, but it was difficult at times. Bit of advice attend all the lab classes, most modules are graded 50% for your lab work 50% for the end of term exam. So, do well in the labs and you can have the module passed before sitting the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭street

dsane1 wrote: »
    I did this course a few years ago. The maths starts off very basic and works its way up to more difficult stuff. We did things like fractions and simple algebra then moved on slowly. The physics also starts very basic. i found this great as i had never done physics before and only did ordinary level maths in the leaving cert. There will also probably be several mature students in the class. The basic start is good for them to get up to speed. I really enjoyed doing this course, but it was difficult at times. Bit of advice attend all the lab classes, most modules are graded 50% for your lab work 50% for the end of term exam. So, do well in the labs and you can have the module passed before sitting the test.

Thanks dsane1 that all sounds good : ] In your opinion what was the most difficult part of the course? Nice one for the labs advice, thats very handy to know. I did a cert course about a year ago where the modules were graded similarly. Btw how did you get on in the end, what did you end up working at?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 vinnyirl

Hi Street, I did the Ord degree a few years ago (same modules for the start). To be honest the most difficult part for me was getting to college :/

dsane1 makes the most important point, if you attend all classes and labs you will do great most of the lecturers will help you if they see you making an effort. The hardest part of the whole course is the Mechatronics Projects, mainly because it is a time vampire, my advice would be to pick something that is more theory than practice as your time in the lab to build is severely limited. Bear in mind that your project is a great talking point in an interview, so try make sure its something you want to do (and can get a job in)

In the end I didn't do well for various reasons but it was nothing to do with the college or the course, if you have the time to put into it I think anybody can easily do well. I went on to do the honors degree in Engineering with Entrepreneurship. Now I'm working in the Netherlands as a Manufacturing Process Engineer, love this job.

One thing that most people don't know is the grade on your degree is based only on your final year, be prepared to give up everything for your final year, by everything I do mean everything. Keep all your notes for all classed as you will most likely need them in the final year.

vinnyirl wrote: »
    Hi Street, I did the Ord degree a few years ago (same modules for the start). To be honest the most difficult part for me was getting to college :/

dsane1 makes the most important point, if you attend all classes and labs you will do great most of the lecturers will help you if they see you making an effort. The hardest part of the whole course is the Mechatronics Projects, mainly because it is a time vampire, my advice would be to pick something that is more theory than practice as your time in the lab to build is severely limited. Bear in mind that your project is a great talking point in an interview, so try make sure its something you want to do (and can get a job in)

In the end I didn't do well for various reasons but it was nothing to do with the college or the course, if you have the time to put into it I think anybody can easily do well. I went on to do the honors degree in Engineering with Entrepreneurship. Now I'm working in the Netherlands as a Manufacturing Process Engineer, love this job.

One thing that most people don't know is the grade on your degree is based only on your final year, be prepared to give up everything for your final year, by everything I do mean everything. Keep all your notes for all classed as you will most likely need them in the final year.

Thanks a lot vinnyirl that's really helpful : ] I look forward to year 4 :D Glad things worked out for you and you're liking the job, well done man.

It's a shame that there's no work placement on this course, it'd be more beneficial to come out of the course with some work experience along with the piece of paper. Might look into getting some voluntary work somewhere..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 vinnyirl

to be honest I thought the same, I would have loved to do some work experience as well. That said nobody is going to stop you doing work experience during the summer breaks, you will however have to arrange it many months in advance as a lot of people do exactly the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I know they dont like people digging old stuff up, but with reference to the course (or anyone else that has signed up) whats the course and content like? is it going long enough to be well structured?

Id like to try get exemptions if I could unless there are essential modules in the first few years, as I did a few years of college with good results on an engineering course, but didnt complete the last ordinary degree year.
    My concern might be programming stuff, control theory and gone a bit rusty on the maths but I could review my old notes, but I recal being able to do most of that except I missed some lessons on matrices and limits which I avoided in the exams (not a great way to still come out with good marks but not know some key topics).
    Some of the electrical stuff was tough too, but Im considering returning but not doing mechanical as thermodynamics just didnt click with me.
    I never know what to do in the way of projects and putting it all together

would there be specific things existing or former students would recommend to get myself up to speed for this course? I didnt have time to learn CAD or do Matlab when I was on my course and it was touched on to a small extent, but the lab was never available outside lessons, so Im not sure whats the best way to build up useful skills to assist in a course, presenting information or results etc, or am I over thinking it?
    I considered a drawing and matlab like module to nearly be essential for an engineering course though?

Is there much putting into practical use knowledge in labs too or is it all or mostly theory?

Advertisement