Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuts stuck in feed bin

Options
  • 22-10-2020 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Recently installed a crowleys bin.but have nuts stuck to side of bin .have been told it's a common problem this year by the rep.anyone have same problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭alps

Recently installed a crowleys bin.but have nuts stuck to side of bin .have been told it's a common problem this year by the rep.anyone have same problem?

If you can time it...always run the auger while the truck is blowing into the bin..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just read the title and I'm thinking - that sounds painful.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just read the title and I'm thinking - that sounds painful.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I am surprised that nuts stick to the side of a bin. I have had issues with ration once when I suspect there was a hole in the cover of a delivery lorry, load of wet ration got stuck in bin and another time when we had a mild autumn and barley heated and got stuck, I was told after that the supplier was popcorn treating some of the barley rather than drying it. I have never had an issue with a nut and find them great to clean a bin. I not sure how it could be a problem this year

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Sometimes if the feed is warm when being blown in they stick to the bin. I only have this problem with glanbia nuts for some reason. Wallop the side of the bin with a fencing post, or if there's a door on the bin keep slamming it. I sometimes have to get lifted up in the bucket of the digger to hit the high up sides of the bin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

All you can do now is wallop the up side of the bin. Ive a long wooden pole with a towel wrapped around the end, just because all the walloping can leave a few dents. Nuts shouldn't really get lodged though... maybe theres a leak?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

The very first time I filled my bin, over 10 years back, this happened. I didn't know was it a bad batch of nuts or if there was a leak in the (new) bin. The rep for the feed came to look and said it was down to the fill of nuts which were damp when being blown in. He gave the bin a good banging on the side and eventually knocked down and unloaded the caked stuff. Got a free fill in it's place. Thankfully it has never happened since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭orm0nd

whelan2 wrote: »
    Sometimes if the feed is warm when being blown in they stick to the bin. I only have this problem with glanbia nuts for some reason. Wallop the side of the bin with a fencing post, or if there's a door on the bin keep slamming it. I sometimes have to get lifted up in the bucket of the digger to hit the high up sides of the bin

nuts shouldn't be sent out warm you losing out there , if they were weighted later they would be a good bit lighter

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

orm0nd wrote: »
    nuts shouldn't be sent out warm you losing out there , if they were weighted later they would be a good bit lighter

Unless warm nuts contain extra moisture when they are warm or something like that. Temperature won't directly affect the weight. It can affect the volume. But the heat itself can't add weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Country life

Had crowleys men out today they opened it.got all lumps out..bin looked dry inside.so looks like they were too fresh being blown in . .now iv to lift them back in to the troughs now!! Even had the feed rep blaming the august rain on a nine month old bin... no satisfaction ☹

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

A meal rep telling lies, who would have believed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

Had crowleys men out today they opened it.got all lumps out..bin looked dry inside.so looks like they were too fresh being blown in . .now iv to lift them back in to the troughs now!! Even had the feed rep blaming the august rain on a nine month old bin... no satisfaction ☹

I've a nine month old bin similar to the Crowely one and I am having trouble with the ration sticking to the inside. It's very hard to gage the amount to buy as a result.
    I'm blaming the weather tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is too much molasses used to bind the nut?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Need to get the eyes checked - tonight I read the Thread title - as Nuns stuck in feed bin.

Old age must be catching up or something ...

Advertisement